general rant: Traveling with beer is a labor of love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
So my boss said, brew 10-gallons of that Irish Red you make that we all love. And I said, "yes sir". So I ended up making 15-gallons since I knew they would burn through the ten in no-time.

The problems I ran into.. Well, I drank 6-gallons or so before the event. It was just so damn good. Therefore, the last 5-gallon batch I made was green, and did not get tapped at all during the week-meeting.

The other corny keg of ready beer, went flat!! I came back after a night at the hotel, to find that the co2 tank was empty and the orings likely not sealing on the keg. I will learn to pressure test the tanks for a few days before putting the good stuff in it. Would you guys transfer the beer to a good tank? I think I caught it in time, and oxygen has not harmed the beer and turned to liquid cardboard as of yet... but it still does not seal.

Another issue I ran into--call me stupid-- but I found out in travel that some states to not have the same homebrew laws that mine has. I probably broke a few laws carrying 15-gallons vs. 5-gallons (one of the states had a 5-gallon transport law). Lesson learned-- do homework in advanced- I could have had a hefty fine/and or had the great dump your beer lesson if I were stopped by a knowing officer.

Lastly, I brought back 7-gallons of beer due to the co2/and green beer issue. It seems as though the beer I brought back has been abused... the sediment in the beer has been mixed in again, and the beer is not clear as it was before transport. In the end.. TRAVELING with homebrew can be brutal.

Green beer is green beer, so there is that. I'm with Spartan on the issue not really being traveling.

Latest posts

Back