gelitin finnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genel41

Reaction score
When is the best time to use gelitin finnings ? I don't like sediment in the bottles . If I put it in 2 days before bottling will there be enough yeast left to make carbonation in the bottles with 5 oz. of sugar per 5 gallon ? Gene

The sediment is the yeast left from carbonating your beer. If you eliminate all the yeast using gelatin or another fining agent there will be little if any carbonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is not possible to remove all the yeast with gelatin. I think your process sounds fine. It absolutely will still carbonate in the bottles.

I haven't ever tried using gelatin and then bottle carbing (I keg) so I can't say whether it will work. I can tell you that you will still have sediment at the bottom of your bottles from naturally carbonating your beer so don't be surprised.

I did a blonde lager and gelatin fined the secondary before a 2 month long lagering period at 34°F. Beer was crystal clear and the 6 bottles that would not fit in the keg carbed up in 3 weeks perfectly. There was only a dusting of yeast in the bottom of the bottles, you will always have some but with gelatin and cold crashing it will be minimal.

Gelatin will remove proteins that cause chill haze. It does not kill yeast. Some say use of gelatin can strip some of the hop aroma from your beer. This issue is debatable but something to keep in mind.

Cold crash the beer (I prefer to do this in a secondary vessel such as a 5gal. carboy). When the beer is at ~40F mix up the gelatin and stir it in. Let it set 2-3 days. Most of the haze-causing proteins will have settled to the bottom of the vessel. Package as normal. You'll have plenty of yeast still present in the beer to allow carbonation and, if you racked the beer carefully, will have less sediment in your bottles and clearer beer.

Back