Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
Read that gelatin should be added with sugar before bottling, but most say a few days before. What has the experience been? How much should be added, and should the carboy be cooled after it's added, right up until bottling time?

I personally love the stuff, but I do notice it strips a bit of character from the beer if you add too much.

I usually add 1 TBS of gelatin to 5 gallons of wort. Start by dissolving it in a cup of water at 80C. not boiling, but a bit of steam, take the water off the heat, and add gelatin. boiling the gelatin breaks down some of it's bonding power. pour it in to the fermenter with as little oxygen as possible, and let it sit as close to freezing as possible for 2 days. anything under 10C or 50F should do the trick, but might take an extra day.

add the gelatin after your sg has stabilized and I usually add it right to the primary fermenter (the lees help scrub any oxygen that gets in due to the live yeast). add it while the wort is around fermenting temp and then cool until bottling.

hope that helps!

Back