Gelatin usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I used gelatin for the first time on a batch I'm about to rack to the keg. I used 1/2 tsp in 1/4 cup water per morebeer.com's instructions. It's been about 5 days and I don't see that it has done much of anything. Should I use another 1/2 tsp in the keg?

I used gelatin for the first time on a batch I'm about to rack to the keg. I used 1/2 tsp in 1/4 cup water per morebeer.com's instructions. It's been about 5 days and I don't see that it has done much of anything. Should I use another 1/2 tsp in the keg?

I just used gelatin yesterday for the first time. I added it to my already chilled/carbonated keg. I used 1.5 tsp and 1 cup of warm water. I let it bloom in the cup for 30 min then put it in the microwave 3 times at 20 second intervals. This made the water so clear you couldn't notice there was gelatin in it. I then poured it into my keg, sealed with 20psi, then inverted the keg a couple times to mix the gelatin in the beer. I am really tempted to check the progress of the gelatin but it hasn't even been 24 hours. I'll try to wait 2 days before checking it.

This beer is a holiday brew at 10% alcohol. It aged for about a month and the beer looked like mud. I normally have very clear beer after 3 weeks in the fermenter. Perhaps this beer needed an extra month but my family is coming Sunday for the xmas holiday and I need it ready. It does taste delicious despite the cloudiness though. The method I used as described above I found while searching several forums and a youtube video...[ame]http://youtu.be/cYaVaCyT2yY[/ame]

I watched that video and have a lot of respect for Don O but it seems more complex than it has to be according to the morebeer instructions and I'm lazy as hell lol! The other thing is I don't have a microwave so I can't use that exact process.

I took a gravity sample right before I racked and it was the clearest sample I have ever had so I decided not to do the additional gelatin. I'll cold crash it in the keg starting Monday, another new process for me to get clearer beer, and see how it turns out next weekend.

I mix in a 1/4 cup warm water then add just enough near boiling water to liquify the gelatin. Then I pitch it in the primary for a couple days before I bottle/keg.

I watched that video and have a lot of respect for Don O but it seems more complex than it has to be according to the morebeer instructions and I'm lazy as hell lol! The other thing is I don't have a microwave so I can't use that exact process.

I took a gravity sample right before I racked and it was the clearest sample I have ever had so I decided not to do the additional gelatin. I'll cold crash it in the keg starting Monday, another new process for me to get clearer beer, and see how it turns out next weekend.

I mix in a 1/4 cup warm water then add just enough near boiling water to liquify the gelatin. Then I pitch it in the primary for a couple days before I bottle/keg.

Both your methods sound easy but you won't get the clearest beer due to chill haze. It's better to chill your beer first then use gelatin to prevent chill haze.

I also use whirlfloc in the boil and never have a chill haze problem.

I started my clarity quest with Irish moss then cold crashing the keg while force carbonating, and now the gelatin. I have only crashed on this latest batch and it has been the most noticeable improvement thus far.

I use whirlfloc, then after racking to the keg, I chill first then gelatin. For 5 gallons, I use a whole packet of gelatin dissolved in 1 cup of water, then heated to 170F. Pour in chilled keg of beer, wait a few days....very clear beer. This is helpful to me because it makes the beer look better and it keeps the amount of yeast in the beer to a minimum. This is very important if you are subject to getting the GOUT:(, like me.

Can you add gelatin while dry hopping in the conical fermentor?

I read that gelatin will affect the hop flavor and aroma. Typically you would want to avoid gelatin for hoppy beers. I have no experience with conical fermenters.

See my last two posts in the "gelatin finings" thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/gelatin-finings-53912/index36.html

IMO using as little hoof collagen (or fish scales, etc) as possible is a good thing! 1/4 tsp per 5gal corny is plenty if you follow the directions I posted after reading nearly every page on the subject in this forum.

I've also read gelatin (and all clarifiers, including cold crashing, filtering, etc) will reduce hop aroma since some of those volatile hop oils causing the aroma will bind and precipitate out. BUT, will you notice or care about an immeasurable/slightly higher aroma level or cloudiness with some yeasty tastes? That IPA pictured had outstanding aroma down to the last pint.

Aromas will fade with time regardless so drink your hoppy beer quickly. Call me and I'll help.

Can you add gelatin while carbing up in the keg? I think I'm going to try it out

Can you add gelatin while carbing up in the keg? I think I'm going to try it out

Yes it worked for me. It seems 3 days is the magic number if your beer is already chilled. After adding gelatin 3 days you will have commercial quality clear beer.

Yes it worked for me. It seems 3 days is the magic number if your beer is already chilled. After adding gelatin 3 days you will have commercial quality clear beer.

+1 I've used gelatin on carbonated beer as an attempt to correct an off, almost sour, taste. It cleared well but didn't taste much better.

Back