Gelatin in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
Just kegged my go to pale ale. I typically transfer to a secondary but kept this in the primary for 15 days. When racking to the keg I could tell it was fairly cloudy. I figured that once it went in the fridge it would cold crash.

It is still pretty cloudy and not that great tasting. I have used gelatin finnings in the past but typically add them when I transfer to the secondary. Can I add some directly into the keg to help it clear? If so, would you keep it in the fridge or take it out to room temp?

You think it will still work? Also should I rack to another keg after it has been in there a few days? I worry about a lot of sediment that would come out of the tap.

I always add gelatin to the keg as like the previous poster said it works better when the beer is cold. Just be ready to pull a pint of sludge like liquid on your first glass or two after everything has settled to the bottom.

Cold crash your beer in the primary or secondary for a good 3 days or more. Rack to a keg. Sprinkle gelatin in water that you've boiled and let cool to about 160F. Once it has bloomed, pour in the keg on top of the beer. If you cold crash your beer prior to kegging and adding the gelatin, it will usually also work to clear chill haze proteins.

Back