Gelatin Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redd1982

Reaction score
Ok...I know that this discussion happens on a regular basis in the forums. I am wondering how long I should Cold Crash a pale ale before adding gelatin finings? Or should I even cold crash prior to adding gelatin? Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking you do need to chill in order to form the haze which the gelatin will remove. You should chill long enough to form the chill haze. You beer may not form chill haze if you've used irish moss/whirfloc, chilled the wort quickly after boil etc..

http://***********/clarity/item/486-conquer-chill-haze

If gelatin works best when its cold as the link, and alot of people are worried about it dropping out too much yeast to carb a beer if bottled, then I would think that if its mixed in when bottling it would work well. The beer will be carbed, then chilled before serving. When its chilled, wouldnt the gelatin do its job at that point and clear the chill haze? I could be really wrong here, and want to know if I am, but has anyone ever tried it this way?

I have a question about gelatin while we're on the subject: Can gelatin be used in the clarifying process and the beer still be bottled? I don't want to drop all of the yeast out of suspension as well since I need them to carbonate.

I have a question about gelatin while we're on the subject: Can gelatin be used in the clarifying process and the beer still be bottled? I don't want to drop all of the yeast out of suspension as well since I need them to carbonate.

1.) If using a filter <= ~5microns you'll most likely need to add yeast
2.) If using gelatin you'll most likely have to add yeast especially after cold crashing.
3.) If using bentonite (removes aflatoxins) you'll most likely have to add yeast
4.) If using PVPP PolyClar you'll most likely have to add yeast

Use a high flocculating yeast, I mostly use S-04 or Nottingham Ale (even for lagers) at about 1 - 3 grams per 5 gallons.

I have used gelatin in 4 batches, mixed it in at room temp let sit for 24-48 hours then cold crashed at 34-38F for 48hrs. all of them carbed up just like the batches I did not use it in. I think you would have to 1. use a lot of gelatin, 2. cold crash for a very long time, to not have enough yeast to carb.

Back