Gelatin and other clarifiers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliu630

Reaction score
Getting back into home brewing again and one of my goals is to make the beer clearer. I am planning to make a pilsener and was thinking of using gelatin to help clear the beer, but for some reason I thought i read/heard somewhere that there is no reason to use gelatin in extract brewing that it is only useful in AG. Is this true? Are there other ways to clear up the beer? If I just cold condition the beer will that be enough for the clarity?

Thanks in advance

I am an extract only brewer. I have always used whirlfloc tablets in the boil. Recently I started using gelatin in secondary/keg. I have noticed a big difference. Also, for your pils you will want to avoid chill-haze. Make sure you cool it quickly and introduce a good cold break.

-T

mmm....clear beer

P6290021.jpg

Here's what i did:

• Whirfloc
  • Cold ferment/secondary (50-ish)
  • Gelatin
  • Time!

I believe it sat 2 1/2 weeks in the primary and then 1 1/2 in the secondary.

Here's the thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=70885

If i'm bottle conditioning, will gelatin not work for me? Does it kill the yeast?

Use Gelatin in the secondary. You will still get some sediment in the bottles due to the yeast for priming, but it will settle and compact in the fridge.

Back