Gel fining before or after keg carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncruiser

Reaction score
I have a couple big IPA's currently on their last dry hop additions. Which would be the best way to proceed fining with gelatin after the last dry hopping is complete?

• Fine before carbonation: Cold crash to 33F for 72 hours on the last dry hop addition. Fine with gelatin. Then CO2 keg to keg push to serving keg. Carbonate.
  • Fine after carbonation: Cold crash for 72 hours. CO2 keg to keg push off of the dry hops into serving keg. Carbonate. Fine with gelatin.

Does it really matter which way to do it?

I've done both ways and had perfectly good results. I have also added gelatin at kegging to room temp beer and had it make my beer perfectly clear. If I were you I would go ahead and put the beer on gas and then gelatin after the beer is down to serving temp.

I used to do it before carbing but heard a tidbit on Brew Strong where they said it makes no difference so I have started doing them both at the same time and have noticed no difference. Why not take a couple days off the cycle if you can?

Back