Gas Stove Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So I have read a lot of posts about propane inside being a no-no but what about normal gas stove tops that use propane? Currently in my house thats what our stove top / oven uses and I do my smaller batches on that stove top. Am I in the running for a Darwinism award? Have a I killed one to many brain cells after 20+ batches doing it this way?

Should be, were not the original owners but house has full HVAC system and range hood over the stove with an electric vent and filter.

Right the hesitation towards using propane indoors is that it is normally a turkey fryer in a garage. That garage is usually not designed with proper ventilation and lacks preventative measures to avoid an accident that might start a fire. Your propane stove probably has ventilation above it built to code and is part of a stove or oven that is not easy to knock over and start a fire.

I currently brew on my propane stove top. The house is still standing so far, though I am definitely going to invest in a propane burner to take things outside.

Its not about the fuel source, its about the burner. An indoor stove (gas/propane) has normally burns at about 7,000-12,000 BTU. Turkey fryers/outside burners can range from around 35,000 to 220,000. So obviously an indoor kitchen is not prepared for that sort of burning power/danger.

You got the warning mixed up, your fine if your pot will come to a boil and it is a stove designed for cooking, as mentioned proper venting, etc. Many move outside and use a LP and that is an open burner without venting, so like a commercial that shows a car flying, they have to put a disclaimer that cars can't fly....I use NGas and have a cook top that cranks 45,000 BTU on the large burner, still hard to get it to boil without a partial cover until it gets going... That last 20ºf are hard to get going when the A/C is cranking at 72ºf right above it....LOL Hence most going LP outside with a 60,000 BTU, Fast Temp on all grain 9 gallon(s)

Back