Gas Grill vs. Charcoal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grill of Choice

• Charcoal

• Gas (Propane)

• Smoker Only

• Both Charcoal and Propane

• "Roasting meat on a stick directly over the turkey fryer burner"

Results are only viewable after voting.
How about a smoker using only charcoal? Bertha does not approve of the choices.

img_1431.jpg

Charcoal... And try to find "lump charcoal"... Briquets are the charcoal equivalent to hot dogs... Also, invest in a chimney starter to avoid the petroleum taste of lighter fluid...

:mug:

There's quite a bit more personal preference in this question than will be reflected in a simple set of choices on a poll. I cooked with a charcoal grill (I made myself from a paint thinner drum) for years, until propane grills became common. With our first one (a Sunbeam), I was sold. When it crapped out, I bought a Weber Genesis, and have never looked back. With me, it's basically about convenience, and I don't want or need anything more to do with the time or mess involved with charcoal.
But the whole cooking outdoors thing is more like a religion with some people than a pastime. My eldest son has a combination grill / smoker, and wouldn't touch a charcoal briquette with a ten-foot pole; it's lump charcoal all the way. I have no doubt that, with the smoker box, his charcoal cookin' machine is more versatile than my Genesis......but I don't care. If I ever decide to smoke cook, I'll buy an electric smoker, and that will be that.
In the meantime, I get along fine. I can do all the regular grilling, plus, with a little finesse, the Genesis makes for mean dry rub ribs. Was the Weber more expensive than other propane grills? You bet; and I willingly paid that going in. Grills WILL need replacement parts, and parts for any Weber are available in any number of stores around town, and a dozen on-line vendors. As I said, with me it's all about convenience.

I do like the smoky, char-broiled goodness that comes from a charcoal fire, it's even better when you add your favourite wood chips for extra smoke; but 1/2 the time I just use deadfall for fuel & an oven rack on cinder blocks for a grill. You might be surprised at just how tasty a rack o' ribs done this way can be. Though gas grills & smokers certainly do have their advantages. Regards, GF.

I use a Weber 22.5" kettle for everyday grilling (hardwood lump charcoal only) and have a Weber smoker for low and slow barbecue. The WSM can be a pita to clean, but there's no substitute for ribs, pulled pork and brisket that have smoked over lump charcoal and wood chunks for hours. I love me some tender, porky (or beefy) goodness. Maybe not as convenient as gas, but the SWMBO loves it and it gives me more of an excuse to sit in the back yard drinking beer all afternoon. :mug:

I have had them all. Propane is great for quick dinner during the week. BBQ Chicken on the charcoal grill on the weekend. Ribs on the smoker. I currently only have charcoal. Gave the smoker away, and the propane brinkman burned up the burner, and couldn't get parts.

Latest posts

Back