Garage Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
I live in Indiana, wife is getting upset with more sours being put in the closet. I have a garage that fluctuates from high 40's in negative temp of winter to 90's in the summer. Bad idea to move carboys to the garage?

Yes I'd say bad idea. Extended aging with that big of temperature swings won't be good for the beer. Plus your control over airlocks begins to get more difficult. You may have silicon or the better bottle airlock but there still could be some fluctuation. Just seems to risky for an investment that will be up to and maybe longer than a year.

Ferment chamber in the garage seems like a good chioce. Should be able to build one for relatively cheap. Also useful for cellaring bottles.

Have any hidden areas in the house you could use? I have a space under my stairs that has an access panel but is hard to get into. Thinking of storing my sours in there.

Yea probably what I'm going have to do... Problem is I have a keezer out there, fermentation chamber for my stainless fermenter... What's another chest freezer ;). She's going to kill me, but only option if she wants her closet back. No other space in the house to hide.

Yea probably what I'm going have to do... Problem is I have a keezer out there, fermentation chamber for my stainless fermenter... What's another chest freezer ;). She's going to kill me, but only option if she wants her closet back. No other space in the house to hide.

If it makes her feel any better, I have 2 fermentation chambers and a 6-tap keezer in my garage. Wife actually prefers them there as opposed to inside the house.

Back