Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me a few minutes to realize Arya was being Walder Frey. That was epic. And the Lannisters still don't know who killed them all. And what the heck is the "gift" that Greyjoy is going to bring Cersei????

Took me a few minutes to realize Arya was being Walder Frey. That was epic. And the Lannisters still don't know who killed them all. And what the heck is the "gift" that Greyjoy is going to bring Cersei????

Tyrion I assume

Hey guys, if anyone else out there is a gambler AND a Game Of Thrones nut like me, here are the Vegas odds on a few of the biggest questions yet to play out!! :D

Incase you're unfamiliar, a negative number represents the favorite while a positive number represents how much you would make if you wagered $100 and win.

Who will win the 'Game Of Thrones'?
Daenerys Targaryen: +350
Jon Snow: +500
Sansa Stark: +750
Tyrion Lannister: +1250
Arya Stark: +1250
Petyr Baelish: +1250
Cersei Lannister: +1750
Gendry: +1750
The Night King: +1750
Bran Stark: +2100
Jaime Lannister: +2100
Davos Seaworth: +5000
Yara Greyjoy: +7500
Stannis Baratheon: +5000
Theon Greyjoy: +7500
Samwell Tarly: +7500
Brine of Tarth: +10000
Bronn: +10000
Field (any character not listed): +10000

My line: Its not an option, but for some reason I think Snow and Targaryen get hitched. Otherwise my single bet is Jon Snow

Who will kill Cersei Lannister?
No one (survives season 7): -150
Jaime Lannister: +350
Arya Stark: +500
Daenerys Targaryen: +750
Tyrion Lannister: +1200
Herself (suicide): +1750
Any other cause of death: +2500

My line: Arya Stark. She's crossing her list off pretty efficiently.

Who will win the Clegane brawl?
No fight in season 7: -175
Sandor Clegane (The Hound): +150
Gregor Clegane (Zombie Mountain): +350

My line: No fight this season, unfortunately. But when they do I'm taking the Hound! Even though he is a well liked character and will likely get slaughtered for that very reason, because that's how George R.R. Martin rolls....bastard..

There it is, guys and gals! I hope this was at least mildly amusing for you as it was for me :D:mug:

Last edited:

Yeah he was pretty adamant about bringing a gift to get that royal a$$, also they showed a glimpse of an arm covered in greyscale who I assumed to be Jorah, curious what role is left for him but I haven't read any books yet

"My line: Its not an option, but for some reason I think Snow and Targaryen get hitched. Otherwise my single bet is Jon Snow"

You know odds are good I think Jon and Danerys get hooked up but i also said to my wife last I thought maybe Jon and Sansa form a northern super power, she said "umm that's gross they are brother and sister" my response was are they really? We have yet to see the rest of the tower scene so you never know

Tower scene told us already that daenerys is jons aunt. And sansaa is his cousin. And he is going to find out very very soon because bis brother scene it as three eyed raven and is now in castle black.

Neds sister had a son with i cmt remember his name but he was a targaryen(mad king i think). Ned hid that fact ti save jons life because the targaryens where killed amd chased out if the 7 kingdoms. So it was safer being a bastard them a legit heir to the throne.

Tower scene told us already that daenerys is jons aunt. And sansaa is his cousin. And he is going to find out very very soon because bis brother scene it as three eyed raven and is now in castle black.

Okay thanks for the clarification i guess i need to rewatch that scene, a lot of these episodes could be rewatched, a lot going on

Either Tyrion as has already been mentioned or he's going to bind one of the dragons with the Dragon horn. I can't remember if they had this in the show, but back when Euron was crowned king of the Iron Islands in the books at least, he had one of his entourage blow a big horn that was supposedly a dragon horn that could bind dragons to the users will. The dude died while blowing the horn.

The Tyrion as a gift would be the easier to write way, but, let's all remind ourselves, which ever route will make the fans more angry, will be the route the show will take.

So what's the worst possible thing that could happen?

Cersei getting her hands on Tyrion.

Or,

Cersei coming into possession of one of or all of the only dragons in the world?

Neds sister had a son with i cmt remember his name but he was a targaryen(mad king i think). Ned hid that fact ti save jons life because the targaryens where killed amd chased out if the 7 kingdoms. So it was safer being a bastard them a legit heir to the throne.

Okay reread the tower of joy scene and now I remember , Jon is Lyanna (neds sister) and Rhaegar's(Daenerys Older brother I believe) son, and Ned lied and took him as a bastard because he would be the heir to the Targaryen throne, but not technically because he's still a bastard???

I think i have that right now lol

Either Tyrion as has already been mentioned or he's going to bind one of the dragons with the Dragon horn. I can't remember if they had this in the show, but back when Euron was crowned king of the Iron Islands in the books at least, he had one of his entourage blow a big horn that was supposedly a dragon horn that could bind dragons to the users will. The dude died while blowing the horn.

The Tyrion as a gift would be the easier to write way, but, let's all remind ourselves, which ever route will make the fans more angry, will be the route the show will take.

So what's the worst possible thing that could happen?

Cersei getting her hands on Tyrion.

Or,

Cersei coming into possession of one of or all of the only dragons in the world?

Oh to the dismay of probably 99.9% of the fan base Tyrion is not going to survive the game, that's just how the show has been going, I am still curious why they showed the greyscale covered arm grabbing Sam in the hall way

I agree tyrion will not survive the game. Writers of sbow are going off the book completely so im thinking an alliance between jon and his cousin daenerys. Fight the war to the north. But first battle will rage for the south. This season will be war for the kingdom. Next will be the war against the white walkers. Survivors. The starks and daenerys. They had worst lives in season 1. So i see them rising. Thats how id write it

Oh to the dismay of probably 99.9% of the fan base Tyrion is not going to survive the game, that's just how the show has been going, I am still curious why they showed the greyscale covered arm grabbing Sam in the hall way

Ah yeah, but, which is worse. Tyrion biting it, or Cersei "winning" or gaining control of the dragons? I'd take Tyrion biting the dust ten times over compared to Cersei getting the dragons.

Also that arm was Jorah Mormont, remember, Daenarys' retainer, he got grey scale protecting Tyrion.

Yeah Jorah asked sam if the queen had returned just curious what his remaining role could be

I knew they had ale & wine in Westeros, had always wondered if they distilled

Dude offered The Hound some rum

He turned it down, said it was too sweet

Cersei will be killed by Arya, and Arya will take control of the seven kingdoms posing as Cersei. :D

i think arya has a lot more to do in this story than most are giving her credit for.. she just took out all of the freys basically and has still many more names to cross off her list.. also she is already adapt at the many faces.. i can see her taking dany out as impersonating somebody like Jorah

Giant white-walkers. Awesome!

Very good season 7 premiere. The Hound has turned into the GOT series conscience. Littlefinger continues to scheme, Cersi and Jamie aren't seeing eye-to-eye, Sansa and Jon have different priorities. Arya is a cold blooded killer.

Arya is cold-blooded, up to a point. She won't be cutting any slack for those who wronged her, or her family. With her Faceless abilities she could be a huge wildcard factor.

I can't say anything about Jon or Dany. They are bigger than life, so it's hard to estimate their role in the future. Other than Cersei's conniving, she hasn't got much going for her. I suspect she will earn too many enemies to last much longer. I don't believe her potential ally will be able to affect the Lannister's fortune's too greatly, but there is something secret going on, and I may be wrong. I do feel that Jamie will again turn against his family in order to do what's right. And if we are throwing wild speculation around, I'd guess it's HIM that will be doing his sister... in.

Is it me, or is Tyrion's character getting boring? He was one of my favorites, but lately he's not done much, or said much.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Little Finger and Varys are, IMO, are the main players of the Game of Thrones. They might get less attention than most, but I believe the actual game is being played by those two. Can't wait to see what happens to Little Finger just a bit later. I would hope someone would gain control of his army and oust him. Permanently. But I think he will survive and somehow find a way to stay in the game.

One thing I'm interested in knowing is what will the order of the fighting? King's Landing (Cersei) vs The North (Jon and ??), or The North vs The Undead Army? Who will Dany align with? (She could potentially attack either the Lannisters or the Starks, but my personal belief is that she will have to choose a side to fight against the White Walkers. Just don't know when.)

But most importantly, how can all of these people keep fighting each other when they've already (should have) depleted their ranks fighting each other before?? are there no logistical concerns here? I realize it's more fun to have house vs house in epic battles, but honestly, you'd think that after certain houses attack or are attacked a couple of times, they'd be plain out of the fight! Take the Ironborn for example. They were involved earlier, leaders killed, ships stolen, and yet we're to believe a new leader can arise and they can raise a navy big enough to do anything? It's a stretch, IMO.

If Dany can align with any major force in Westeros, with her army and dragons, they should be unstoppable. We'll see.

I'd have to guess that Dany will align with Jon because of the family ties(if bran survives to tell the tale) after she deals with Cersi and the ironborn "navy", How do they still have a thousand ships if Theon stole a thousand to bring Dany's army to Westros, did the ironborn nation have that many ships!?!? lol

I think the thing that doesn't ever get explained well is the passage of time. They very rarely have lines of dialogue that say something to the effect of "It's been 6 years since I joined the Night's Watch"(for example). I think theres a couple of interviews with George RR Martin where he discusses that he wanted to avoid any definitive statements about the size of Westeros, and he also wanted to avoid any definitive statements about the passage of time between event A and event B, mostly due to how all of us would sit and pick it apart each time it seemed like an army managed to march a distance far faster than any army in history was able.

I think we're to a certain extent supposed to accept that its been years and years since the last major battles on Westeros(any of the battles the Northerners fought against Lannister armies). So its almost certain that a good chunk of young men who were under the cut off line at 12-13 years old during the fight at the Whispering Wood(for example) are now old enough to fight. It seems like its at least a few months to travel across the Narrow Sea so, when Theon and Yara steal all those ships, there is at least 1 year between that event and the Iron Fleet sailing to King's Landing. I would think that the Iron Born being a seafaring people would be able to build a lot of ships very quickly if needed(I think I read about a Belgian/French Shipyard that could pump out a ship of the line size ship every day).

Looking at the time span of wars in the pre-industrial age, could last decades. But it would sometimes take several years for two armies to maneuver around one another to create an advantageous position for themselves before they would decide to engage, and even then, if the battle went sour, they would quickly retreat. Very very very rarely would two pre-industrial armies engage another force when it was not a completely pitched battle(or they had a major trick up their sleeves like a secret force on the enemy's flank).

My guess would be the Iron Born spent a lot of time raiding, and retreating. They would probably never risk a significant force against an enemy prepared for battle or of similar strength so they probably lost relatively few of their fighting strength men during the course of the War of 5 Kings.

After the Red Wedding the Northern forces ceased to be an effective fighting unit, either they were slaughtered at the Red Wedding itself or melted into the country side avoiding battle or turning to banditry. I'm sure a lot of them scurried home as quickly as possible, but its unlikely the Freys or Lannisters were able to inflict a significant(greater than 50%) number of casualties to Northerners.

Stannis' relatively paltry forces of 8-10 thousand(I might be overestimating) suffered rather few losses during their engagements with the Wildlings so I doubt he lost a significant amount of troops, some may have settled or continued to stay at Castle Black. In the TV show we saw his army decimated due to weather and Bolton forces true, but the Bolton forces suffered few casualties. I'd doubt the forces under Jon Snow's command would have killed the Bolton/Umber/Karstark forces to the man so I'd bet a good deal of their levies would have turned and now fight for Jon Snow.

Dany at this point is the only one on Westeros with a relatively fresh army and the Dornish as well, who will probably declare for Dany now that she has arrived. The Tyrells and Lannisters have relatively large armies still but, the Tyrells will probably turn soon enough, neither has fought a significant engagement where the risked a large number of troops.

So I think with the passage of time, movements of mercenary groups, and the relatively low number of large pitched battle engagements, there is of course been a significant drain on the population in Westeros, but I think they have a larger pool of fighting men than they let on(or far fewer men of fighting age have died than the propaganda spewed by sycophants lead us to believe).

Pitched battles where two armies faced off and fought one another, that the outcome of the battle was, one side completely destroying the other, were relatively rare in the pre-industrial age, ***BUT*** they were by far and away more well documented by contemporary writers than any of the other engagements that occurred. If you were a battle field observer, would you write about the 1 huge battle where the Sycthians were crushed by the Macedonians, or the dozen other engagements where the Macedonians or Sychthians only lost a couple hundred horse/infantry a piece and disengaged from one another(or the hundreds of other times where one side managed to march a little faster and got to a hill before the other side, and the other side decided "nah, we're gonna go home this seasons instead of getting crushed")?

As far as time goes, Gilly's baby Samwell may be our best indicator. He was born in Season 3 episode 3. For perspective this is about 6 episodes before the Red Wedding. He appears to be about 3 years old in season 7 episode 1 at the Citadel.

Gilly_S6_winds_of_Winter.jpg

...so in 38 episodes the kid has aged ~3 years or 36 months. So I don't think its a stretch to say on average an episode spans roughly a month. And if that is the case the Series to date(season 7 episode 1) spans about 5 years.

Bran is another youngster that is a good indicator of time, also suggesting the series spans roughly 5 years.

In Episode 1 he appears to be around 8 or 9 years old.
101_WIC.jpg

By season 7 back at the wall he appears to be 13 or 14.
GOT_Season_7_11infobox.jpg

Gilly's baby would be the best indicator, because they could easily recast a small child to keep the baby very young if they wanted to show that time was going by smoothly.. they couldn't do that with bran since they can't recast a character of his magnitude this far into the season

Another frame of reference line was delivered by Jaime shortly after he was released from captivity by Catelyn. He makes a statement that he was in chains for a year.

So roughly speaking from the Whispering Wood battle and his release I think it was only about 3-4 episodes so it's difficult to give a number of months in each episode.

The most correct answer to the passage of time in the show is, it's as fast and as slow as the writers want it to be.

The most commonly discussed(made by fans) time lines for the books is, it's been 8-10 years since Robert arrived at Winterfell and asked Ned to be the Hand.

I thought some of Daenerys's scenes were very good. I liked the scene with Varys, but I think that will come back to bite her later. Varys is, I think, a better actor than she realizes.

Again, I was confused with the timeline. It seemed Yara had the best ships, but somehow Euron could suddenly show up and decimate her fleet in short order. His ships were impressive for the time he had to build them. It was incredible how he was able to find them, sneak up on them, and get a full attack underway before any of her crew could notice and raise an alarm.

I liked Arya and Hot Pie's scene. Kind of screws up her plan, but I think it's a good twist for the show. Curious to see how they will be when she gets there. With Jon leaving for Kings Landing, she will probably get there and he won't be there. Oops.

As usual, several interesting characters died. The Sand Snakes. I was hoping for a rematch between Dorn and The Mountain, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe in the end, it will be Tyrion and The Mountain to go head to kneecap in battle? Biggest vs the Littlest?

My wife hates Little Finger. Every time he shows up on the screen she says Ewwww. He kind of creepy. I think Jon's interaction with him changes his plans for The North. I can't wait to see him get offed by either White Walkers or Arya (If/When she gets there.)

Problem is, the story is fairly random, like life, so you can't always tell what's going to happen!

Again, I was confused with the timeline. It seemed Yara had the best ships, but somehow Euron could suddenly show up and decimate her fleet in short order. His ships were impressive for the time he had to build them. It was incredible how he was able to find them, sneak up on them, and get a full attack underway before any of her crew could notice and raise an alarm.

I was rather confused by this as well. In the books he's sort of a warlock like those guys in Yunkai that stole the dragons, so it would make sense he could find Yara's fleet that easily. But, for me, the hardest part is, these people who grow up sailing, put their command ship in the lead position?

The command ship should be near the middle or at worst *near* the front. But, the first ship that gets boarded was their command ship with all of the most important people on board? I don't buy it, the command ship should be in the middle with your smallest boats on the periphery to screen for and call out interlopers. That's the worst part and why I'm ok with Yara/Theon/Dany losing this particular battle. You put incompetent commanders in charge of your navy, so incompetent they put their command ship in lead position so it could be boarded by the first jack-off that comes by, and cuts off the head of your navy.

Is Ellaria Sand the "Gift" Euron Greyjoy's promised to bring to Queen Cersei? She(Ellaria Sand) did murder Cerseis daughter Myrcella Baratheon with the poison kiss.

Is Theon/Reek just going to drown in the Ocean? His character went through a lot of development just to have him drown. I don't think we have seen the last of him.

Is Theon/Reek just going to drown in the Ocean? His character went through a lot of development just to have him drown. I don't think we have seen the last of him.

I think hes gonna report back to danaerys. Eventually avenge his sister

Is Ellaria Sand the "Gift" Euron Greyjoy's promised to bring to Queen Cersei? She(Ellaria Sand) did murder Cerseis daughter Myrcella Baratheon with the poison kiss.

Apparently. That and the smashing of the fleet.

I've also learned that since Yara's fleet was sailing from Dragonstone to Dorne, and Euron's fleet had just left King's Landing, it wouldn't be hard for the two to meet. Epic bad luck, really.

the prophecy Maggy the Frog told Cersei says

the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

interesting positioning of the two on the map: Cersei is standing near The Neck, while Jaime is near The Fingers

Cersei is the eldest Lannister, so both brothers are Valonqar (High Valyrian for "little brother"), but perhaps the use of Valyrian refers to Tyrion, who may be Targareyn

cersei-map.jpg

I bet anyone next scene is the dragons coming to destroy that Greyjoy dude and his army

Back