Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's done that with a few characters, though. At least in my opinion. Seemingly important characters suddenly get killed very unepically.

I think it's good for the books because it keeps people from being able to anticipate what is going to happen, as is all too common with these kinds of stories.

Now my question is, why doesn't Jon or Sansa insist the Red Woman at least try to raise Rickon from the dead? It doesn't seem that they loved him all that much after all...

I do agree that it's a good thing that the books and show are not afraid to kill people off in unexpected manners, and if the theory of Rickon being a "Shaggy Dog Story" is true then it is a brilliant and subtle move by GRRM.

As far as Rickon being returned, I'd have to double-check, but I believe they brought his corpse into the keep under a tarp; probably his body has been more than a little trampled and what is left isn't fit to be returned. It's very possible Jon will ask Melisandre about it next episode, but really I think the answer is "because plot".

I guess I view the shaggy dog theory a little differently. If someone is telling me "hey this doesnt matter don't pay attention this" I'm that much more likely to pay attention to it.

I just don't see GRRM deliberately saying "don't pay attention to Rickon he's not important, his story isn't important" seems like a good double-reverse troll. We spent most of book 1 thinking "hey this is the Stark story and Ned is the good guy" then he bites it. The we spend a couple books thinking "oh hey it's still the Stark story and Robb is a good guy" then he and his mom bite it. Then we are like "oh cool it's a Sansa and Jon story. The Starks are still good guy" then Sansa is married off to a rapist serial killer, and Jon bites it.

Seems like to me each time we are told to pay attention to something that something dies. I for one am gonna pay heavy attention to the stories GRRM seems to not want us to pay attention to.

Though he's still totally gonna die (Rickon) and probably horribly. Rickon being on the isle of Skagos, and the quote from Roose "only heart trees ever see half of what they do on Skagos" combined with Rickon being there *and* Davos heading there to look for Rickon screams that something important is gonna happen.

Now my question is, why doesn't Jon or Sansa insist the Red Woman at least try to raise Rickon from the dead? It doesn't seem that they loved him all that much after all...

Can't have Rickon come back because that would totally eliminate Sansa's claim to Winterfell and the north...I'm interested in what Littlefinger is going to ask in return for his help...

I guess I view the shaggy dog theory a little differently. If someone is telling me "hey this doesnt matter don't pay attention this" I'm that much more likely to pay attention to it.

I just don't see GRRM deliberately saying "don't pay attention to Rickon he's not important, his story isn't important" seems like a good double-reverse troll. We spent most of book 1 thinking "hey this is the Stark story and Ned is the good guy" then he bites it. The we spend a couple books thinking "oh hey it's still the Stark story and Robb is a good guy" then he and his mom bite it. Then we are like "oh cool it's a Sansa and Jon story. The Starks are still good guy" then Sansa is married off to a rapist serial killer, and Jon bites it.

Seems like to me each time we are told to pay attention to something that something dies. I for one am gonna pay heavy attention to the stories GRRM seems to not want us to pay attention to.

Though he's still totally gonna die (Rickon) and probably horribly. Rickon being on the isle of Skagos, and the quote from Roose "only heart trees ever see half of what they do on Skagos" combined with Rickon being there *and* Davos heading there to look for Rickon screams that something important is gonna happen.

Here's the thing, a bunch of people did pay attention to Rickon though, that's why it's so funny. There's an entire theory called the "Northern Conspiracy" that is multiple pages long that centers around Rickon. In the books Rickon seems to be pretty important to a lot of people, but there are already indicators (such as Manderly probably dying) that seem to point towards just the sort of end Rickon experienced. I'm pretty sure Rickon is a deliberate troll on GRRM's part.

Wasn't the stag davos gave to shireen wooden and if so would it not have burnt down when she was burned. Makes you wonder if she is dead at all.

Wasn't the stag davos gave to shireen wooden and if so would it not have burnt down when she was burned. Makes you wonder if she is dead at all.

Davos is one hell of a woodworker with the fingers he has left. But watch out lady in red. Davos is out for blood. Shame cause he has a good soul.

And forget Rickon. Raise wun wun. He may be the last giant. All his brothers are likely giant wights by now.

Here's the thing, a bunch of people did pay attention to Rickon though, that's why it's so funny. There's an entire theory called the "Northern Conspiracy" that is multiple pages long that centers around Rickon. In the books Rickon seems to be pretty important to a lot of people, but there are already indicators (such as Manderly probably dying) that seem to point towards just the sort of end Rickon experienced. I'm pretty sure Rickon is a deliberate troll on GRRM's part.

I totally leave it open for a triple reverse troll on GRRMs part.

I'll bet he totally dies on Skagos before Davos finds/rescues Rickon. But the events surrounding Rickons death/attempted rescue may be very important to the story. Skagos for all intents and purposes doesn't exist in the show. So I am leaning towards that Rickon himself isn't important but the events surrounding him are.

Seriously, a freaky little island that apparently has unicorns (lol), just east of Eastwatch, populated by former (and probably currently) cannibals, they offer trade in pelts/(plot juice) obsidian arrowheads/And unicorn horns (whatever the hell that is).

I don't mean to suggest Rickon is going to be important like, becoming King of Winterfell, but the events we will see on Skagos probably will be important.(show is a different beast, new shooting location, you have to set up the trip to Skagos with Davos, and you have to cast incidental characters on the island, have some discussion about where it is and what it is, aka expensive, if Rickon dies anyway the show runners decided it's probably a confusing and expensive mess to throw into an already expensive show and confusing to some)

Edit: don't take this as me being confrontational, I genuinely enjoy discussing the show/books, so don't take this as a list of arguments, more like a list of discussion points.

It looked like it was scorched and one of the antlers had broken off, so I'm pretty sure Shireen is 100% dead.

CllZn-NUoAAXtim.jpg

...I'm interested in what Littlefinger is going to ask in return for his help...

I've even heard this question from a couple of the podcasts. To me, it's obvious, and I thought the teaser for the finale pretty much confirmed it: he's out to marry Sansa. He had a huge thing for Catelyn, marrying Sansa would be the GOT equivalent of pulling a Graduate. But really, it isn't about love or lust, just power (of course). He has the Vale, if he can make sure Jon is made a "non factor" (making sure the letter of legitimacy from Robb is never found?) he can have the Vale and Winterfell as well. Marry Sansa, maybe even knock her off like he did Lysa, and he's Numero Uno en el Norte.

Davos is one hell of a woodworker with the fingers he has left. But watch out lady in red. Davos is out for blood. Shame cause he has a good soul.

And forget Rickon. Raise wun wun. He may be the last giant. All his brothers are likely giant wights by now.

Rewatched the episode last night and saw someone burning on the post in the background so she is more than likely dead but with GRR you'd never know :) It just came to my mind the women of the show seem to be the ones now running the houses and Daenerys said she would break the wheel.

Baratheon - Gone except for Gendry (bastard) and possibly more.
Daenerys - Cant have kids, is she the last of her line?
Sansa Stark. Bran is more than likely not able to have children. Jons a bastard and more than likely not a stark.
Lyanna Mormont - A kid
Martell - The sands are taking over
Brienne of Tarth - unknown outcome.
Meera Reed - Unknown
Yara Greyjoy - Theon got neutured
Marjory Tyrell - Unknown
Lanisters - brothers will probably be the only ones left.
Freys I recon they will be wiped out.

I've even heard this question from a couple of the podcasts. To me, it's obvious, and I thought the teaser for the finale pretty much confirmed it: he's out to marry Sansa. He had a huge thing for Catelyn, marrying Sansa would be the GOT equivalent of pulling a Graduate. But really, it isn't about love or lust, just power (of course). He has the Vale, if he can make sure Jon is made a "non factor" (making sure the letter of legitimacy from Robb is never found?) he can have the Vale and Winterfell as well. Marry Sansa, maybe even knock her off like he did Lysa, and he's Numero Uno en el Norte.

I doubt he'd kill Sansa unless he absolutely had to. The start of everything for him was getting the crap kicked out of him trying to win Cat's hand in marriage, he was/is obsessed with her. Cat is dead, but Sansa is a close (and young) second; plus if his kids wind up running Winterfell and the north, then his family is no longer some piddly little house on a rocky island. All of that said, I highly suspect that the student will become the master, and Sansa will outwit him and have him killed/banished/etc.

So, I have a few predictions for the finale, anyone else got some? Here's mine:

Cersei sends the sept up in flames during Loras Tyrell’s trial, but Tommen was accidentally there, oh no!

Varys arrives in King’s Landing after that and *BOOK SPOILER* kills Kevan Lannister, as per the books, book readers orgasm.

We finally get the end of that Tower of Joy scene, reveal Jon Snow is actually Jon Targaryen, people that predicted this orgasm.
Walkers mass at the wall (but nothing else just yet)

We get a brief shot of Arya arriving in Westeros (probably not actually Winterfell, since there’s no port near Winterfell), maybe a reunification with her wolf Nymeria.

Sam arrives at the Citadel *MINOR BOOK SPOILER* meets the other young maesters and sees the glass candle.

Brief shot of Dorne readying to march north to fight the Lannisters

Dany and Tyrion depart Mereen, big swelling music.

The Final Sequence: Jon is told of Shireen’s death by Davos, asks Melisandre who tells him she did it. Declares she must die for the murder, she doesn’t argue. Jon cuts off her head, shattering the ruby choker...and his blade catches fire and keeps burning. He is Azor Ahai, people nearby bow in wonder. BIG DRAMATIC MUSIC AND CREDITS!

I doubt he'd kill Sansa unless he absolutely had to. The start of everything for him was getting the crap kicked out of him trying to win Cat's hand in marriage, he was/is obsessed with her. Cat is dead, but Sansa is a close (and young) second; plus if his kids wind up running Winterfell and the north, then his family is no longer some piddly little house on a rocky island. All of that said, I highly suspect that the student will become the master, and Sansa will outwit him and have him killed/banished/etc.
Sansa has him by the sort and curlies, he killed Lysa and I bet she has figured out a lot more. Not to mention he gave her to the boltons I'd say Littlefinger is not long for this world

Had someone on Facebook send me this YouTube link to a mash-up of the Game Of Thrones Theme with the 'Weiner, Floppy Weiner' chorus from the infamous South Park Game Of Thrones episode... [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzaXEK7kC0[/ame]

i'm a little surprised no one here is talking about Sansa carrying Ramsey's baby. I think it's going to happen. Not sure what littlefinger's reaction will be when he finds out. Next season though I bet.

i'm a little surprised no one here is talking about Sansa carrying Ramsey's baby. I think it's going to happen. Not sure what littlefinger's reaction will be when he finds out. Next season though I bet.

Heard that as well, people speculating when they saw she didnt eat the Nights watch food and when the made the new dress. brienne didn't eat by the looks of it either and if you're going to go visit new houses looking for men might as well look the part. She didnt bring any clothes with her when she ran from Winterfell which is another reason to make some new.
At the end of the last episode Sansa said "Your words will disappear, Your house will disappear your name will disappear. All memory of you will disappear" which makes me think if she is pregnant she will be doing something about it. Maybe the red woman will have a part in it.

Bit of a continuity error at the end - Ramsey said the hounds hadn't been fed in 7 days before the battle but Sansa had rode off before he said it so how did she know

Heard that as well, people speculating when they saw she didnt eat the Nights watch food and when the made the new dress. brienne didn't eat by the looks of it either and if you're going to go visit new houses looking for men might as well look the part. She didnt bring any clothes with her when she ran from Winterfell which is another reason to make some new.
At the end of the last episode Sansa said "Your words will disappear, Your house will disappear your name will disappear. All memory of you will disappear" which makes me think if she is pregnant she will be doing something about it. Maybe the red woman will have a part in it.

Bit of a continuity error at the end - Ramsey said the hounds hadn't been fed in 7 days before the battle but Sansa had rode off before he said it so how did she know

Ramsey's baby would fulfill the requirements for being a king so Melisandre will be very interested in Sansa being pregnant.

Also @Talgrath that does seem to be really likely scenario for Melosandre's death. They have definitely telegraphed some sexual tension between Jon and Melisandre so it would fulfill the requirement. I want there to be some super-troll on DnD's part where they have Jon stab Sansa instead and she is the one who quenches his sword (so to speak), but I don't think they have the cajones to kill Sansa (unless that's exactly what happens in the books, there's never been any sexual tension or telegraphed I for,action that suggests Jon has feelings for Sansa other than brotherly love).

GoT has only the women lead. The men are only secondary, minor role.

Killing Sansa would be against everything we've seen up to now. But that being said, George Martin would do just that to **** with us.

Killing Sansa would be against everything we've seen up to now. But that being said, George Martin would do just that to **** with us.

Yeah, reading back, I can see how I said that wrong. I was thinking about things from the point of view of Littlefinger, rather than GRRM. I think LITTLEFINGER is thinking that his marriage to Sansa would put the entire North in his pocket.... and (from LF's point of view) "I've knocked off one wife, what's the trouble with knocking off another if she starts running her gob about the sh*t I've pulled?"

...which is not to say he's going to get away with it. Really, I don't think it's going to come to that, if for no other reason that D&D and GRRM have to realize we're running out of characters that we give a damn about. Littlefinger is one of the biggest players behind the scenes, and Sansa is definitely on my short list of folks to "make it to the end." I'd love to see her take this recent "growing of a pair" she'd demonstrated to the next level and really give LF a shafting.

Ramsey's baby would fulfill the requirements for being a king so Melisandre will be very interested in Sansa being pregnant.

Also @Talgrath that does seem to be really likely scenario for Melosandre's death. They have definitely telegraphed some sexual tension between Jon and Melisandre so it would fulfill the requirement. I want there to be some super-troll on DnD's part where they have Jon stab Sansa instead and she is the one who quenches his sword (so to speak), but I don't think they have the cajones to kill Sansa (unless that's exactly what happens in the books, there's never been any sexual tension or telegraphed I for,action that suggests Jon has feelings for Sansa other than brotherly love).

Well, I might point out that the "sexual tension" we are feeling between Sansa and Jon could be between the actual actor and actress. Apparently Sophie Turner aka Sansa wrote a very touching letter when she thought that Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow was going to be gone from the show; possible on-set hook up maybe?

Also no, actually Ramsay's kid would not be a king; Ramsay is a bastard of a noble family but has no kingly ties. Sansa is maybe a kinda princess if you consider Rob's "King in the North" claim...but that's pretty tenuous.

I'm not 100% sure that's actually going to happen, so I haven't mentioned it. If it is the case, I'm guessing some Moon Tea or something similar will sort things out.

An absolutely great episode. There weren't a whole lot of big surprises, other than Arya, I guess she took some faces with her when she left. One thing, I actually burst out laughing when Tommen killed himself because it reminded me too much of this:

KBNcZ.gif

That said...

Game of Thrones Just Trimmed Its Talent Salary, Big Time
We might not have been sad to see any of them go, outside of Margaery and Tommen, but Game of Thrones just killed off so many people that their budget for actor and actress salaries must have dropped at least 40%. Many of the "dead" are well-respected (and probably well-paid because of it). That said, whatever was just cut in salary is probably about to get eaten in VFX budget.

Littlefinger Will Be a Problem
Littlefinger laid out his unsurprisingly ambitious goals to Sansa, who just straight up rejected him. Even worse for Littlefinger's plans, it looks like Jon has all of the lords he brought along all in on defending the north from rampaging hordes of undead. Almost certainly a big part of next season will be the confrontation between Sansa and Littlefinger...who will win? Or will both perish?

Sending People Away
Danaerys distanced herself from Daario Naharis, telling his Second Sons to hold Mereen for her, meanwhile Jon sent Melisandre away. I don't think we'll see Daario again in the series, aside perhaps from a brief cameo, but I do expect Melisandre to have a part to play, perhaps she alerts Danaerys to the trouble at the Wall?

Burn Them All
I'm pretty Jaime is going to wind up killing Cersei just like he killed the Mad King, probably when Danaerys' fleet arrives.

Way to Tease Us Game of Thrones
So Bran knows that Jon is, at the least, Lyanna's kid...but we didn't get definite proof that he's Targaryen. Nonetheless, I wouldn't bet against it, but well played on the tease Game of Thrones...well played.

The Invasion Will Not Be Televised (Until Next Season)
So, with the Tyrells and Martells on board and a massive fleet backed by dragons, it sure as hell looks like the stage is set for an invasion of Westeros next season. Perhaps there will be a sea battle along the way against Euron, but I expect to see King's Landing to become Queen's Landing pretty soon.

I guess Jaime is lucky he didn't try to get next to that cutie - that was Arya - I clapped when she sliced Walder's throat - I also I am liking Lyanna Mormont - loved it when she put everyone to shame for not backing Jon
lyanna-mormont-nod.gif

one more burning question, what did the mountain do to that Nun? :eek:

^ The Queen told her she will not die today, or soon. She gave the Mountain her as a gift. So much for her vows......

It would be a pretty serious stretch to believe that Jon isn't Targaryen. Lyanna was taken by Rhaegar and finally found and recovered by her brother, Ned. If she was carrying someone else's baby, it would be a massive stretch of belief, even for GRRM. I prefer to ponder the implications of what is now so clearly revealed.

Curious to see if Jon Snow (Targaryen) does indeed carry any of the traits of the family line. Note that it's been mentioned several times that the Targaryens prefer to marry between themselves. A union between a Targaryen and someone outside the family line my dilute the genetics and reduce or eliminate certain traits.

Also, since Jon Snow is now single again, and not a member of the Night's Watch, and in fact King of the North, he is an obvious choice to marry his (hold on....) Aunt? Daenerys and maintain that blood line. She herself said a marriage in the West is a sure method of forming alliances. What better way to combine forces than with a holy union between the Starks and the person in charge of a massive invading force including savage fighting men and Dragons?

In the end, we will see that political aspirations will dwindle as the true threat begins to reveal itself (if there are any people left alive by then.) Nobody in the south, and not many in the North actually believe in the White Walkers. The dragons will be needed more than ever to combat them with their dragon's fire and to make dragon's glass.

I'm betting that Sam's journey to the Citadel will be revealed as very important as he discovers ways to fight the invading forces of the frozen dead. (I mean, it's pretty obvious, but with all of the other stuff happening, it can get forgotten.)

Not sure now what is going to happen with Arya. She was one of my favorite characters all through the books but I'm wondering just where she will end up in the end. I don't see her as a leader. She is apparently still set on seeking out vengeance for the wrongs done to her and her family. Hopefully they align with what is best for the family. How many are left on her list? I know of Cersei. The Hound is still alive. I wonder if she will find out, and what she will do about him. Was The Mountain on that list? Gee, there was so many!! 8D Just googled the list. Looks like several are banded together in the Brotherhood.

Lastly, I was reminded of Cersei's prophecy, given to her by that old woman. The end of it claimed she was going to be killed by a younger brother. But which one? Tyrion and Jamie are both younger than her. My gut instinct is that Tyrion is too honorable to do the deed. Sure, he killed his father, but his father repeatedly put him down and his killing was an act of opportunity, caused by Tyrion's temporary state of anguish over his betrayal by Shae. Jamie is not only capable, but he's proven previously that he can execute a leader if the need were great enough. All indications are that Cersei will create a need great enough at some point in the future.

Way to Tease Us Game of Thrones
So Bran knows that Jon is, at the least, Lyanna's kid...but we didn't get definite proof that he's Targaryen. Nonetheless, I wouldn't bet against it, but well played on the tease Game of Thrones...well played.

I think the way the scene was shot and the wetnurse Wylla being in the room was meant to be a very deliberate indication that Jon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son.

"You have to protect him"
*incomprehensible whispering*
"You have to protect him"
*camera pans out*
*Cut to Jon Snow's face filling the entire frame*

Any other way of saying he was a Targ would've been ham-fisted. I think its definitely left up to interpretation if Jon is a bastard or not, we would have to see another flashback scene where Rhaegar and Lyanna are getting married.

I haven't read the books, but was wondering if there was a chance that Jon is Robert Baratheon's son?

I really don't think so. Robert was supposedly in love with Lyanna, but she was taken by the Targaryen. She told Ned to keep her baby's father's identity secret because she knew Robert would have had it killed if he found out it was Targaryen.

Had it been Roberts, there would have been no need for the Promise from Ned.

It makes sense that Ned would act the way he does towards Jon as well. Even making sure he goes off to join the Night's Watch to keep him from fathering legitimate children or claiming any throne. He very likely had some concern that Jon might rise in stature and power simply through his heritage, and especially if Jon ever found out who he really was.

I think his realization will be an interesting scene for sure.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure Robert was in love with her, but he was promised her hand in marriage. I can't remember if he was in love with any one particular girl in the books or not. It was kind of crazy back then in the books.

Last edited:
^ The Queen told her she will not die today, or soon. She gave the Mountain her as a gift. So much for her vows......

but the Mountain can't get it up right? :confused:

Lastly, I was reminded of Cersei's prophecy, given to her by that old woman. The end of it claimed she was going to be killed by a younger brother. But which one? Tyrion and Jamie are both younger than her. My gut instinct is that Tyrion is too honorable to do the deed. Sure, he killed his father, but his father repeatedly put him down and his killing was an act of opportunity, caused by Tyrion's temporary state of anguish over his betrayal by Shae. Jamie is not only capable, but he's proven previously that he can execute a leader if the need were great enough. All indications are that Cersei will create a need great enough at some point in the future.

IMHO Tyrion is not a Lannister. I am sure he is a Targaryen. Remember the seal, the 3 headed dragon. One for Dani. One for Jon & one for Tyrion.

Robert was in love with her, as much as he could love any particular woman (Robert was well-known, even then, for his womanizing and already had a bastard or two); Lyanna seemed less than keen on him and told Ned that Robert wouldn't have stayed faithful to her. As far as we know, Robert never actually bedded Lyanna, despite being betrothed to her; before they could be wed the tournament at Harrenhal happened and Lyanna was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar. Almost certainly it was actually that Rhaegar and Lyanna simply decided to say "screw it" to protocols and elope, but by the time word would have reached them to correct it, the entire country would have already been at war. It would be pretty huge for it to be anyone but Rhaegar and Lyanna's kid, we just don't have 100% official confirmation yet.

So it's Battle of the Queens next year. Jamie didn't look too pleased with seeing Cersie on the throne can we expect to see him change sides. Sansa looked a bit worried when she looked at littlefinger when they were chanting king of the north, she knows he will try to kill Jon now.
Loved Arya's arrival back in Westeros by serving up a Frey Bentos pie to Walder. (If you're from uk and ireland you will get it) What was that thing on the top

but the Mountain can't get it up right? :confused:
Judging by his coloring and position in relation to her head good chance he pisses acid :)

bentos.jpg

Originally Posted by BrooklynTom View Post
but the Mountain can't get it up right?

That I am unaware of. There are other ways to defile her. Or maybe he is going to pull her apart bit by bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mountain is well known as a violent person in many ways. Chances are these things will happen and several more. He's a gigantic raping, pillaging, murdering machine.

As far as Tyrion being a Targaryen, I don't think so. I've heard this theory before and it seems that it was debunked in the books a while back. Something one of the characters had said. I suppose it's possible that the person making the claim that Tyrion is Tywin's son was used metaphorically. I don't see him as being much like Tywin at all, though.

Though if Tyrion is not one of the three Targaryens mentioned in the prophecy, then who might it be?

One theory claims that Cersei and Jamie may be Targaryen, and the timing makes it possible. The book states that Aerys acted inappropriately on Tywin's wedding night towards Johanna, but that is not "rape" in any case, so I don't really hold that it happened there. Perhaps at a later time before Johanna was sent away by Aerys' wife.

What further complicates things is that you can take some what is said literally, or figuratively. Jamie's Aunt tells him that "...Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you." This could mean that Tyrion is actually Tywin's son (not a Targaryen) and that Jamie is someone else's son, or that she means that Tyrion takes after Tywin in mannerisms and abilities, while Jamie doesn't.

It's kind of up in the air at this moment as there aren't enough definitive clues to zero in on any one person. I'm almost tempted to believe that Jamie and Cersei really are Targaryen, simply because of the way they act (incest, Cersei's love of fire, A certain madness) but some of these could also be caused by her distresses.

Back