Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the actor for Tyrion has to be one of the best ever.. can't think of a better character in any tv show i've seen in quite a while.. i love the daenerys story line as well.. wasnt' a big fan of how he only focused on half the stories in the 2 books.. i'm hoping that they follow the actual timeline in the tv show

I do love Dragons.

My only complaint with the books is how Martin will develop a character in 4 whole books just to kill 'em in 2 lines.

My only complaint with the books is how Martin will develop a character in 4 whole books just to kill 'em in 2 lines.

i love that, since that's when you don't see it coming.. watching the first season (before i started reading the books) i was on pins and needles in those slow motion sections while neds head was on the block wondering how on earth a main character could die.. i was thinking something/someone will most definitely step in at the last second...

i think that's what makes the story so good, and you need a lot of main characters for that to actually work in the story

It might have been bit difficult and expensive to train a pig for one scene. ;)

Still I agree though, jousting on a pig and dog would have been awesome to see.

I played the first episode for a friend this weekend. It was hilarious watching his often appalled reactions at events and figuring things out like who is related (and sleeping) with who, and not to mention the final scene. He professed after it was over that he would not be watching the show. I am sure I can get him to watch a few more episodes and then he will be hooked. I really wish I had a camera going to get the reaction shots.

From reading the books I knew it was coming, but the Frey's and the Red Wedding left me thoroughly pissed when watching the series. The Purple Wedding was way underwhelming - not nearly as enjoyable as I had hoped. Still, I'm happy that they seem to put in some subtleties of the Q of T participating.

If I hadn't already read the books.................................... so much was not even hinted at on the TV.

I enjoy watching how people react now, knowing what they'll do later.

It's very nice :D

I tease my wife about what's coming up later.

For instance, last night I calmly stated, "At least Sansa has escaped Joffery's evil clutches and is going to be ferreted away to live happily ever after!"

And she didn't buy it for one second.

My wife was also upset about poor Ser Dontos. Looking forward to seeing how they depict Tyrion's trial.

Yes. Although I feel Dontos did not get enough time previously to really build up how awful this was. In the book you hear a LOT more about him. In the show, you see him a couple of times.

Loving The Hound's change of character...

I won't say much, but it sets up future events. One of my favorite substories in the series so far.

That is one of my favorite aspects of the show. While the TV storyline may not follow the books exactly, the use of dialog to set up or introduce future storylines is perfect and allows the show to flow very smoothly.

the jaime/brienne relationship is just as fun as the arya/hound relationship..

on another note there are so many lists online.. here is one of them.. that talk about interesting fact about the characters and such.. among my favorites are:
- the actress that plays sansa adopted her "wolf"
- only 2 characters have actually read the whole series so far for 1) genuine reactions and 2) so they don't know how long they will be in the show
- the "heart" that daenerys eats is actually like a giant gummy bear
- peter dinklage is actually 5 feet tall, they just do a great job with camera angles (ok, that's a lie, just seeing if you are paying attention).. :cross:

seems like Arya's relationships with other characters are the best parts

Arya & Ned, Arya & Syrio, Arya & Tywin and Arya & the Hound + Gendry, Hot Pie & Jaqen H'ghar

interesting that IMDB lists her 4th in the credits, behind only Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke but in front of more seasoned actors

I'm about halfway through Dance with Dragons as well. I find it much more interesting than Feast for Crows and not nearly as good as Storm of Swords.

We're on episode 7 of Season Two for the TV series.

yes... I'm slogging thru Dance with Dragons now. ponderous

Yeah, Dance with Dragons - not the strongest book in the series. I'll be interested to see how HBO handles an entire season of Dany doing...nothing. So far they've done a great job of adding additional story lines or plots in places where it slows down in the books - IE Bran.

SPOILERS!

But yeah, it's pretty cool. There's LOTS more fun stuff coming. It never gets really boring. I'm tingling from anticipation of seeing my wife's face when you know who shows up (again...)

Really surprised this thread hasn't gained more traction.

Thought Sunday's episode was really good. Good character developement, coupled with some action.

My favorite part in all the books is coming to TV. Soon, oh so soon!

You're gonna like it too. :D

Hint: I love the Imp. :p

I am pretty sure I know what you are talking about, but yes, there are several things related to him that I will find interesting coming up.

A small thing between Arya and The Hound as well.

A small thing between Little Finger and his "bride" and Sansa.

One thing that I find interesting, through it's lack of interestingness, is Sansa's storyline. Mostly it's bad stuff happening to others around her and she is just a meek thing tormented by it. But she doesn't really do anything herself to deserve bad things happening to her. Yes, she sometimes is affected it by it, but nobody's ever raped or killed her. She's never raped or killed anyone. She hasn't really cheated or stole or done anything like what most of the other characters have done in this tangled mess of a fantasy adventure.

each book/season always has at least 2, maybe 3 AWEsome moments.. yes, there is at least 2 more good ones for this season.. very much looking forward to the last half of the season but not for the long wait between this and the next one..

curious how they are going to non-split-up the next books.. i hope they work it out in a good way

each book/season always has at least 2, maybe 3 AWEsome moments.. yes, there is at least 2 more good ones for this season.. very much looking forward to the last half of the season but not for the long wait between this and the next one..

curious how they are going to non-split-up the next books.. i hope they work it out in a good way

They should be able to combine them into one big 2 season + version of the books. Then they should be able to handle it like any other of the books. You know, smaller chunks and maybe do a episode for Crows, then one for Dragons. Otherwise they will do it like they have the rest, slightly out of sequence and still faster than the next two books will be released. I just hope that the books continue to be published before it is handled in he show.

Excellent acting last night from Peter Dinklage during the trial scenes. That last trial scene really sucked me in even knowing already what would unfold.

I agree. Can't wait to see the trial combat between You-Know-Who and You-Know-Who...

The preview at the end also hinted at some Arya and Sansa attention. I like that they put the snow castle in Sansa's plotline.

All I can really say about the upcoming events is... SOMEONE'S GOING TO DIE!

;)

I agree. Can't wait to see the trial combat between You-Know-Who and You-Know-Who...

The preview at the end also hinted at some Arya and Sansa attention. I like that they put the snow castle in Sansa's plotline.

All I can really say about the upcoming events is... SOMEONE'S GOING TO DIE!

;)

Really? I never would have guessed it. GRRMartin would not do something as mean as kill off characters we love.

And as one who has read all the books as well as watches the show, They are both great. They seem like slightly different stories trying to get to the same place. I like em both, though the books tend to get a little... tedious in the later ones.

You guys kill me! This episode was a complete detour from the books. Who knows what is going to happen!? He is gonna kill her. She is gonna kill him......................... he is gonna fight that other guy. It's all off the plot, on it's head.

I can only hope they surprise me.................... yup.................. I think it's coming! :D

You guys kill me! This episode was a complete detour from the books. Who knows what is going to happen!? He is gonna kill her. She is gonna kill him......................... he is gonna fight that other guy. It's all off the plot, on it's head.

I can only hope they surprise me.................... yup.................. I think it's coming! :D

Winter?

I'm not reading the books (a mistake on my point- but summer break is coming, so maybe I'll read them then) but I LOVE the show. Last night was awesome. I think I have a feel for what is about to happen- and I'm predicting two really key deaths in the next two weeks. I'm 100% sure we're in for a dead Lannister and I'm thinking it won't be the most obvious one. Someone taller and older, perhaps.

I'm not reading the books (a mistake on my point- but summer break is coming, so maybe I'll read them then) but I LOVE the show. Last night was awesome. I think I have a feel for what is about to happen- and I'm predicting two really key deaths in the next two weeks. I'm 100% sure we're in for a dead Lannister and I'm thinking it won't be the most obvious one. Someone taller and older, perhaps.

You can safely read the books. Although the show is great, and possibly one of the best adaptations I've seen, it doesn't precisely mirror the story in every way. There is some condensation and some things are simply left out.

I am curious to see how they are going to handle Tommen's relationship with Margaery Tyrell. In the books she and her friends spent considerable time with him, grooming him into a relationship in order for her to become his queen at teh right time, and also to get her in his good graces so that she could more safely oppose Cersei Baratheon (lannister) who continues to cling to what power she can get through her various familial connections.

In the show it was very briefly hinted that Margaery might be willing to resort to some form of pedophilia in order to become loved by Tommen. I think in the book he seemed a bit younger. He doesn't seem that young in the show. I mean, too young for our modern legal standards of (of-age), but of course in the book they are all younger in general when it comes to intimate relationships. My point is that Tommen, in the TV show, seems to be quite old enough to really be taken by Margaery's advances.

I don't recall any sexual acts between them in the book, but I remember her and her friends were quite active in spending time and attention on him and he enjoyed it.

I also thought the show did a fantastic job with Reek. Really good acting on his part, and really showcasing Theon Greyjoy's transformation from potential ruler, to completely submissive sub-human lick-spittle. I'm sure you will enjoy what's coming up later with him on his special "mission"!

This show continues to amaze me with the amount of satisfaction I get when certain people die

Finally get to see The Mountain! And it seems Arya is making amends with The Hound. Sandor Clegane maybe has a heart under all of that tough flesh?

Back