Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the outside looking in and trying to understand GOT which is like on season 5 or 6, and man this seems like a complicated show. Is there like 100 different characters you need to know? I think I watched part of like the first season, but man it's turned into a who's who. Glad you guys like it and yeah Hodor is a sad story.

I'm on the outside looking in and trying to understand GOT which is like on season 5 or 6, and man this seems like a complicated show. Is there like 100 different characters you need to know? I think I watched part of like the first season, but man it's turned into a who's who. Glad you guys like it and yeah Hodor is a sad story.

Everyone dies anyway so its not that hard to follow the 100+ characters.(mostly joking)

Honestly its easier to follow the show than the books. You almost always have a face to attach to a name, as opposed to reading the books if a character is introduced for a few lines, then you don't see them for 3 books you completely forget who they are.

The TV show has you juggle roughly 5 or 6 separate threads at once, there are a lot of characters but only a handful of truly important one, it's complicated but manageable. The show usually does a good job of re-explaining things as well. As long as you pay attention you can usually keep a pretty good idea of who's who.

The books are a bit of a different matter; they jump from perspective to perspective and each one is a little different, making each point of view a little different and therefore somewhat unreliable. The books also simply expect you to remember all of the different people and their banners and colors.

one thing that the tv show has over the books are the tits - I enjoy the dragons & tits as Ian McShane has referred to the tv show
ianmcshane-game-of-thrones-1200x630.jpg

Still haven't seen this week's episode. Been busy with this and that. Killing me not to check this thread! I had to scroll down real quick so the posts were above my live of vision!

It's on the agenda for this weekend.

Still haven't seen this week's episode. Been busy with this and that. Killing me not to check this thread! I had to scroll down real quick so the posts were above my live of vision!

It's on the agenda for this weekend.

wait until after the next one airs, then you can watch two in a row! i watched the first season, then read the books, then the 2nd season, and then i got my wife into the show, so I was able to watch the first 2 seasons again in like 2 weeks. That was awesome!

HOLY ****! SPOILERS BECAUSE HOLY ****!

The Cleganebowl Is On!
The Hound is alive, living with a bunch of hippies and then the Brotherhood totally just murdered his friends, now it's Rambo Hound time! If after this the Cleganebowl doesn't happen I will be extremely upset.

Lyanna Mormont is a Mini Badass
Not much more to say here, other than to say that she's one of my favorite characters that we spend almost no time with in the books.

Dammit Arya! Pay Attention
If you're being chased by a group of faceless assassins, don't ****ing stare out over the ocean on a bridge all alone! Situational awareness girl! I think it's unlikely, but if Arya dies that would certainly break the whole "you can't die if your direwolf is alive" idea. Looks like next episode is all about Arya as it is titled "No One".

Bad Decision Sansa
I know you feel like you have to, but calling upon Littlefinger cannot end well Sansa. Unfortuantely, her decision is probably temporarily right, it may be the only thing that saves the Starks' bacon.

...CLEGANEBOWL!

wait until after the next one airs, then you can watch two in a row! i watched the first season, then read the books, then the 2nd season, and then i got my wife into the show, so I was able to watch the first 2 seasons again in like 2 weeks. That was awesome!

So we didn't get to watching it this weekend. She watched McSonsofAnarchy (Peeky Blinders) and then the kid had a friend over and hogged the TV last night and by the time I got back from a Homebrew League meeting it was too late to watch them both.

Sigh.

So we didn't get to watching it this weekend. She watched McSonsofAnarchy (Peeky Blinders) and then the kid had a friend over and hogged the TV last night and by the time I got back from a Homebrew League meeting it was too late to watch them both.

Sigh.

The Hound gets a makeover. Arya returns with a new face for him.

An interesting theory I've read elsewhere:

The "Arya" we saw paying off the captain is not in fact the real Arya. Jaqen already showed he can change into Arya's face, so perhaps as a test of the waif's ability to follow orders, he took Arya's form. As others have pointed out, the "Arya" that got stabbed had a conspicuous amount of money (Arya seemed to have very little) and no Needle. I suspect that this is all part of Jaqen's tests; with both the Waif and Arya failing the test (or maybe Arya succeeding? The Many Faced God doesn't seem like the type to sanction killing a harmless actress).

Interesting about Arya. Just a short while ago she was eating stake bread off beggars alley now she's got money for a steak at the Palms. Something is off. Also don't see how you can live with those wounds. That person will die...maybe it was Jaqen as part of a bigger plan

Glad to see the Hound but wish Ian got more screen time before he was strung up.

It's entirely likely she had money for her mission to kill the actress. If her role to play was a middling born woman with decent clothes on it would be prudent to have some minor spending money on her person. As well any additional money needed to complete the mission in general. For example to grease the palms of a guard to go get a drink instead of watching a door.

I don't think it's THAT unreasonable for her to have some money.

Also don't forget she is at this point at least a half trained assassin for the Faceless Men. The greatest association of assassins in the GoT universe as far as we are told. Even half trained she's probably better than most other assassins on the market. So considering her training, is it that unreasonable for her to have stolen it?

Next if Jaqen was Arya getting stabbed by the Waif, why jump in the water after the Waif failed in her mission and direct instructions "do not make her suffer". If it was a test, he definitely fails as the teacher for not immediately jumping up after being stabbed and yelling "you failed!".

Read a theory that Area and the Waif are the same person or Arya is leading them into a trap as she has already seen the face the waif used in the hall from last season.

Noooooo! Cleganebowl cancelled! I hate you Game of Thrones!

Cersei Is Outmaneuvered and King's Landing Will Pay
First, damn Zombie Mountain takes no prisoners! The banning of trial by combat means that Cersei is now in big trouble...but of course sneaky Qyburn has a solution: I'm almost certain he's found the the cache of wildfire beneath the Sept. So, here's how I see this going: Cersei blows up the Sept and/or other locations, but Tommen is accidentally at one of them (probably the Sept) thus fulfilling the prophecy, ashes and all. Jaime comes back, kills Cersei like he killed the Mad King, thus the little brother (Jaime is younger) kills her. Things are going to get very bad in King's Landing folks.

We're Set Up for Two Big Battles
Up in the north, Jon and Sansa will have to go to war with the army they have, not the army they want. Almost certainly there is a deus ex machina that will save them, my money is on Littlefinger. In Mereen, the masters have come with ships to besiege the city...but Danaerys and Drogon are back, expect to see some burninating!

The Hound Gets Some New Boots
Reminder: The Hound is crazy good with any weapon, don't screw with him. Curious to see if the Hound takes Beric's advice and heads north with them...presumably they're heading for the White Walker fight. Could it be time for a reunion of everyone's favorite Westeros buddy cop team, Arya and the Hound?

Arya is Not No One
All of our crazy theories about Jaqen and Arya were completely wrong! Well I'll be damned. The Waif being all "Terminator" with some parkour was an interesting sequence, but it would have been nice to see the fight actually play out. Nonetheless, the journey of self-discovery is complete, I suppose; but it begs the question: what the hell Jaqen? He lost both of his students but seems unfazed by it, is it possible he's the Many Faced God of Death himself? Thus his complete okayedness with Arya using the Faceless Assassins for training and self actualization? Either way, Arya is apparently on her way back to Winterfell.

The Blackfish is Dead
Some stuff happened between Jaime and Brienne...don't care. The Blackfish is dead and he was an awesome character; in the books he's still at large, so I'm guessing this means he doesn't do much else there either. The scene between Edmure and Jaime was pretty damn good though; and they kept the line about throwing his baby into the castle via catapult, which I loved.

Overall a good setup episode for the upcoming fights, next week is big action! Plus I totally expect a major character's death or two. Rickon is probably toast, literally, at the least.

The Hound Gets Some New Boots
Reminder: The Hound is crazy good with any weapon, don't screw with him. Curious to see if the Hound takes Beric's advice and heads north with them...presumably they're heading for the White Walker fight. Could it be time for a reunion of everyone's favorite Westeros buddy cop team, Arya and the Hound?

3fc14ce4fc0b365d161d08a06f7d34c3.jpg

The Blackfish is Dead
Some stuff happened between Jaime and Brienne...don't care. The Blackfish is dead and he was an awesome character; in the books he's still at large, so I'm guessing this means he doesn't do much else there either. The scene between Edmure and Jaime was pretty damn good though; and they kept the line about throwing his baby into the castle via catapult, which I loved.

Overall a good setup episode for the upcoming fights, next week is big action! Plus I totally expect a major character's death or two. Rickon is probably toast, literally, at the least.

One thing I want to point out. I don't necessarily agree that just because they die in the show means they don't play an important role in the books.

If this was true, leaving Lady Stoneheart out of the show would be a rather large character to suggest she's not important to the books (why would GRRM bring someone back to life if they're not important? Beric was brought back to bring back Lady Stoneheart).

I think that they may kill or exclude characters in the show for one of three reasons.

1. Simply due to trying to translate a written story into a filmed story. Certain events/characters may not be easily translated into a filmed story. The event may be too expensive to film, or the event may be considered too difficult to film in general.

2. Vagaries of casting a television show. In a book, a character shows up because you write it into the story (they do what the author tells them to do). In television/movies, you have the politics of casting and scheduling issues. Or, do we really want to cast a dozen more actors/actresses to fill out a story already brimming with 2-3 dozen character (the only people who remembered and recognized Edmure Tully when they brought him out again on the show were the book readers, everyone else on the show was "who the hell is that?").

3. Excluding an event or character because another character or event will not occur or has not occurred. For example with the Blackfish, I'd bet that because there is no Lady Stoneheart there may not be a need for the Blackfish to stay alive for some other event.

Frankly I am 100% surprised we saw Sam at all this season and that they are not killing him off with some absurd nonsense. The show is definitely paring down the story to tell the Jon story and the Dany story, with the side event of Cersei drilling holes in her already sinking ship.

I think we are jumping to conclusions when we assume anyone that's being excluded from the TV show is now completely inconsequential to the story(or that the exclusion means they die anyway).

I'd be willing to put a decent amount of money on the Jon and Dany story following very closely what will happen in the books. It's a lot like a roast beef sandwich and swiss, its still a roast beef sandwich and swiss if all you put on it is roast beef and swiss cheese, but if you add some mustard and horseradish, some tomato and lettuce, maybe some bacon, you still have a roast beef and swiss sandwich but its got a lot more flavors going on(Aegon/Jon Connington, Lady Stoneheart for example are the mustard and horseradish).

One thing I want to point out. I don't necessarily agree that just because they die in the show means they don't play an important role in the books.

If this was true, leaving Lady Stoneheart out of the show would be a rather large character to suggest she's not important to the books (why would GRRM bring someone back to life if they're not important? Beric was brought back to bring back Lady Stoneheart).

I think that they may kill or exclude characters in the show for one of three reasons.

1. Simply due to trying to translate a written story into a filmed story. Certain events/characters may not be easily translated into a filmed story. The event may be too expensive to film, or the event may be considered too difficult to film in general.

2. Vagaries of casting a television show. In a book, a character shows up because you write it into the story (they do what the author tells them to do). In television/movies, you have the politics of casting and scheduling issues. Or, do we really want to cast a dozen more actors/actresses to fill out a story already brimming with 2-3 dozen character (the only people who remembered and recognized Edmure Tully when they brought him out again on the show were the book readers, everyone else on the show was "who the hell is that?").

3. Excluding an event or character because another character or event will not occur or has not occurred. For example with the Blackfish, I'd bet that because there is no Lady Stoneheart there may not be a need for the Blackfish to stay alive for some other event.

Frankly I am 100% surprised we saw Sam at all this season and that they are not killing him off with some absurd nonsense. The show is definitely paring down the story to tell the Jon story and the Dany story, with the side event of Cersei drilling holes in her already sinking ship.

I think we are jumping to conclusions when we assume anyone that's being excluded from the TV show is now completely inconsequential to the story(or that the exclusion means they die anyway).

I'd be willing to put a decent amount of money on the Jon and Dany story following very closely what will happen in the books. It's a lot like a roast beef sandwich and swiss, its still a roast beef sandwich and swiss if all you put on it is roast beef and swiss cheese, but if you add some mustard and horseradish, some tomato and lettuce, maybe some bacon, you still have a roast beef and swiss sandwich but its got a lot more flavors going on(Aegon/Jon Connington, Lady Stoneheart for example are the mustard and horseradish).

But do we really know that Stoneheart is really all that important? GRRM does have a habit of making real cool/interesting characters that die almost immediately and have little impact (Hi, Oberyn Martell). A lot of these side characters from the books do literally nothing of real importance and seem to be there to say "Hey! There's a larger world here!" which is fine, but not particularly relevant to the ice zombie apocalypse or the struggle for control of Westeros. When I say "importance" I mean as in actually mattering much in the long run beyond just being something that people mention.

As far as Sam, my impression from the books is that Sam is going to be a big factor in somehow stopping the maesters from doing whatever sneaky **** they're up to (won't say more because spoilers for non book readers there). Sam is also going to be our window into how the maesters work besides just "advising" people...so I think he's pretty important.

Let's get a little more immediate. The Battle of the Bastard is next. Who's gonna win?

Ramsay Bolton looks like he has a 10-1 advantage in manpower. More and incredibly more diverse & effective weapons at his disposal.............................

But I am perplexed on how he's gonna lose. To advance the storyline he must.

What are we gonna see?

A betrail by Smalljon Umber? The Lord of Light? Melisandre? Little Finger? The Hound? Brienne?

The Battle of the Bastards is gonna be epic!

Let's get a little more immediate. The Battle of the Bastard is next. Who's gonna win?

Ramsay Bolton looks like he has a 10-1 advantage in manpower. More and incredibly more diverse & effective weapons at his disposal.............................

But I am perplexed on how he's gonna lose. To advance the storyline he must.

What are we gonna see?

A betrail by Little John Umber? The Lord of Light? Melisandre? Little Finger? The Hound? Brienne?

The Battle of the Bastards is gonna be epic!

My bet is the needle - didn't Jon Snow give the needle to Arya?
Arya.jpg

The blackfish could show up...they almost always show death scenes so his off-scene kill was either on purpose or lazy. Brienne could make it. Littlefinger for sure, he needs to.

Based on the shows past history, the answer will come out of left field. Something we haven't seen recently or the opposite has recently occurred

I completely forgot about the Dragons. I'm convinced Jon Snow is a Targaryen.............................. wouldn't that be WILD, so who knows!!!!!!!!

This is shaping up to be the most anticipated episode of the entire season.

Well, Jon and company aren't that badly outnumbered...but they are badly outsworded; the Wildlings are basically armed and armored with flimsy spears and thick hides, the Bolton forces have actual plate armor and chainmail and the like. The wildlings also don't have much in the way of cavalry. My guess: Littlefinger shows up with the Knights of the Vale and all that, but there's a steep price (marries Sansa maybe?).

Other battle would be vs. The masters. Greyjoy could pop in with their fleet. They aren't far away.

For battle of the bastards I say littlefinger comes in. But the real hero will be wun wun. Giant time.

Finally got to watch the last epsiode last night. When Arya was chased through the market and cornered in that room I thought it was over, but then...! I thought her meeting with the faceless man was pretty epic. I could see the respect in his eyes. Almost as if he were saying, "finally."

I kind of got lost in the whole Blackfish thing. I am not sure if the Tully army was able to leave the keep and help Sansa, or if they were imprisoned. If they were allowed to leave, they surely weren't allowed to leave with weapons with which to fight. So they may be more men, but hardly more help for Sansa.

Brienne and Jamie kind of got interesting. Not sure of any real love going on there, but they surely admire each other. I like how Jamie had to get all evil sounding in order to get Edmure to surrender the keep. He's not stupid.

I am enjoying the way the story can view the wide aspect of the world's events, and still focus on the the many smaller maneuverings as well.

So I got together with a Game of Thrones guru & we talked about the "Battle of the Bastards".

He thinks that shot of Jon Snow looking up at the battlefield with complete defeat says it all. Couple that with Bolton looking like the cat who ate the canary and we're going to see things totally off storyline come in and save Jon's ass!!!!

3 things will happen simultaneously.

1) Smalljon Umber will betray.

2) Little Finger will come in with the Knights of the Vale at the last minute.

3) Drogon will magically appear & make a snack outta Ramsey in the air for EVERYONE to see. It will be Orca like!

Then, Jon will react with complete confusion. Milisandre will be vindicated. The Onion Knight will be amazed. The INTERNET is going to go flucking crazy.

This will rival the Red Wedding as the greatest episode ever.

game-of-thrones-dinner-ramsay-1428500198.gif

I can only hope.

There was nothing else to do with him though. He was a nobody for the entire series.

Loved Sansa's smirk at the end! Wished for more dragon action but then realized that the Masters are a mere side plot inside a side plot. No way they were going to spend more then 5 minutes on them.

@ bigpicture

Dang, you were nearly spot on.
1. Smalljon....dies. Mercilessly.
2. Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale save the day. Mercilessly.
3. Not by the mouth of Drogon, but by his hungry hungry hippo dogs. Merci...you get the idea.

Much confusion, a giant dies, and this definitely was a wild episode. No disappointment here!

So first things first. Wun Wun RIP.

Something about the Greyjoy and Targaryen alliance seems fragile. Will take more time to see but Daenerys seemed to take the bird in hand to feed her ego.

For the finale I think Cersi destroys kings landing. Wild fire cache is underneath the city and she will burn it all rather than facing trial. Remember season 2 Daenerys was going through a hallucination and saw a burned city. That is her coming to kings landing after Cerci burned it.

A predictable but satisfying episode that ties up a few different plot lines.

Burn Baby Burn
It was vastly satisfying to see the Masters get what was coming to them and see all three dragons out and about and burning things. Danaerys seemed to accept Tyrion a little too easily for my taste...but I suppose it's better to just move on quickly. With the ships of the Ironborn and the Masters in tow, they're all set for a big naval journey to Westeros. I suspect an all girl alliance with Dorne is likely.

Ramsay Is Very, Very Clever
Facing an inexperienced and emotional commander Ramsay did exactly what he needed to do to set up a slaughter; what could have been if Ramsay and his father had stayed with the north and Rob hadn't screwed everything up. One thing I noticed: the moment where Jon Snow was buried under bodies reminded me a lot of him coming back to life, gasping for air, a third rebirth? It looks like things are about to go very badly for Melisandre though; maybe Jon kills her and his sword starts burning, making him Azor Ahai?

Sansa Goes Behind Jon's Back
As we all expected, the Knights of the Vale showed up just in the lick of time to send Ramsay packing. Sansa's deviousness is increasing...but could that be bad news for Jon? If she doesn't trust Jon to make the right decisions it could be she outmaneuvers him somehow, resulting in his death. Either way, it looks like the price Littlefinger wants for his help is to put his littlefinger in Sansa...creepy, but what we always knew was going to be what he wanted.

Wun Wun! Open the Door! Odor!
And there goes Wun Wun and a chunk of the FX budget with him. Still, it was pretty epic to see that giant break down the gates. As a note, it looks like the fighting force of the Wildling is now reduced to about 100 people, at best, that can't go over well with everyone.

Next week, I think King's Landing burns, or at least the sept does. I'm also betting Kevan Lannister bites it off of a crossbow or two from the little birds.

Awesome episode. And I agree...far to many mentions of wild fire the this season for it not to play a role.

PS- Found out there is a decent amount of spoilers about this seasons that came out months ago. Fairly accurate so far if anyone wants the low-down on this season.

A lot of book readers felt that Rickon was going to be important to the story, the last Stark kid that would unite the north as part of the "Grand Northern Conspiracy". Rickon's death in the latest episode seems to end most of those theories, and a theory on Reddit about Rickon would indicate we've been told from the start that Rickon is a pointless character and a complete joke.

Shaggy Dog Theory

Rickon's direwolf is named "Shaggy Dog", seemingly a funny name given to a direwolf by a young child, but could, in fact, be a reference to the concept of a "Shaggy Dog Story". A shaggy dog story winds and meanders, the joke being that either the story never had a point or the point is utterly stupid; the joke is that people paid rapt attention to it, sound familiar? If the theory is true, GRRM told us all the way back in book 1/episode 1 that Rickon was a red herring.

Back