Galvanized pipe fitting for mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjournl

Reaction score
The kewler-valve kit I bought did not have a long enough stainless pipe length to make it through the side of my 50qt Igloo square cooler, so I had to use a galvanized pipe nipple, and used plumber's epoxy putty to secure the short length of pipe. (The hole diameter from removing the cooler's drain was too big and I couldn't find any suitable fittings to overcome this problem.)

Any issues with using the galvanized piece here in the mash when temps are going to be low and sanitation is not a big concern? Chemical reactions? Off flavors?

After I thought about it today I'm ready to trash the whole setup and start again when I can find stainless or brass parts. Any input appreciated.

The low PH of the wort supposedly will leech the zinc, as the bird was saying. I've heard the same thing said about lead in unpickled brass fittings, both are heavy metals but the general consensus about brass appears to be that the amounts are not harmful.

Before I knew about this I had used a galvanized screen in the mash for one brew, and I asked the LHBS expert about it before drinking the rest once I found out (batch tasted fine.) He said that the amount leeched would not be large enough to be harmful to one's health, but there's no reason to use galvanized when there are better metals available. Galvanized water pipes are still used in some parts of the country, though water has a higher PH than wort.

Sometimes it's hard to find brass or copper fittings with the right threading... take all your stuff into the hardware store and play around for awhile until you find brass or copper (or stainless) threads that work. Galvanized is fine... for dogs and horses, but they don't drink warm water.

cheers -p

I agree, Don't use galvanized when brass is so cheap. I like SS but if you don't want to pop for it at least use brass. :off: But on an off topic note we can add this to the heated debate list.:)

Zinc is pretty harmless, infact is neeeded for the yeast, some folks add zinc intentionally. But I would be realy concerned that after the zinc disolves away, the iron pipe could ruin a batch. Haven't you heard of chipped enamel kettles making a strong metalic taste? I dunno if running wort through one piece of pipe would do it, as opposed to a one hour boil, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Back