Galaxy SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
I made up a Galaxy SMaSH last Sunday,

Recipe Below.

6kg of Pale Malt
Mashed for one hour at 149 Farenheit

Boiled for 65 mins with the following additions
30g Galaxy for 65 mins
35g Galaxy for 20 Mins
35g Galaxy added at flameout.

Made 24 Litres

Starting gravity came in at 1.060.

Cant wait to see how it turns out, it will be all primary fermentation for 2 weeks. Then bottling.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers :mug:

Be sure to do a hopstand at flameout. Personally, for a SMaSH i'd do 1oz at 60min, and then all the rest of my hops (hopefully at least 4oz or more) just for the hopstand. Save 1oz for dry hop. This will net you the most hop flavor and aroma and give you the best idea of what sort of character the hop can lend.

Side note: what year are your hops? I found the 2014 galaxy harvest I've tried (both in commercial and my homebrew) was much more resiny and dank than the tropical mango I was used to

cheers guys,

im presuming hop stand and whirlpooling are one in the same things, essentially, leaving hops in the wort after boil until wort is cooled to pitching temp? this is approx 45 mins for me.

In answer to your question, yes the harvest was 2014, first time to use this year so ill be sure to weigh in on resiny rather than tropical flavour.

Back