Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the exact same experience as you, they send out the promo email, I check and its sold out already :(

I've not yet tried a brew with Galaxy so I'm curious what it will be like...why all the hype?

anyone wanna trade? I've got:

Summit
Mosaic
Citra
Cascade (grown by me)
Sterling (homegrown too)

I've had the exact same experience as you, they send out the promo email, I check and its sold out already :(

I've not yet tried a brew with Galaxy so I'm curious what it will be like...why all the hype?

anyone wanna trade? I've got:

Summit
Mosaic
Citra
Cascade (grown by me)
Sterling (homegrown too)

I don't know what time zone you're in but if you can manage to sit by the PC / phone at exactly 11 PST, you stand a pretty good chance at scoring some. I'm in Korea so it just took me that long to find the time in the middle of the night.

They're supposed to get the Australian harvest throughout June / July, this is an assumption but I'm guessing the inventory they're putting up on a daily basis is the amount they've managed to package over the day from the bulk they receive.

Logon at 11 PST, they sell out in 15 to 45 min. Only gotten a little better since they implemented the 5 lb cap.

Geez helps if I could read it right...oh well, will just stick to the website after brewday today.

It’s not like a split second thing (could be faster on weekend though), so you should be good with consistent attention and preloaded payment info. Good luck!

It’s not like a split second thing (could be faster on weekend though), so you should be good with consistent attention and preloaded payment info. Good luck!

The YVH website says they update inventory every weekday around 11ish, I doubt they will update over the weekend, I guess we'll find out though...

30min later
128lb
80 1/2lb
0 2oz

I clicked on the spothop.com link in the YVH link and it has a similar verbiage about being a turd and 132lb limit per customer

I just ordered mine! Surprise early day home from work and bazinga! 73 1/2lbs left and 66 lbs. Wasn't going to brew this weekend, but I think a Galaxy SMaSH is in my future.

Mine arrived:
IMG_4457.JPG

2lbs of 2019 galaxy. Thanks for the replies and input into some recipes that these will be good in. I think (at least as a start) I’ll do a SMASH recipe. Excited to use ‘em.

Still waiting on mine to get to South Korea, had to use an intermediate shipping forwarder since YVH doesn't ship to APO but can't wait to receive.

Stumbled on this thread and spent 15 minutes just looking at all they have available. I did a little searching on the forum for discussions on using prior crop year hops but can't find a lot of threads easily. A lot of other reading says hops can be used for several years after harvest as long as they are processed soon after harvest and stored well.

Any experience or thoughts using prior crop year hops from YVH? I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of buying some of these varieties in bulk.

Stumbled on this thread and spent 15 minutes just looking at all they have available. I did a little searching on the forum for discussions on using prior crop year hops but can't find a lot of threads easily. A lot of other reading says hops can be used for several years after harvest as long as they are processed soon after harvest and stored well.

Any experience or thoughts using prior crop year hops from YVH? I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of buying some of these varieties in bulk.

I have not yet myself but I have read that they do a good job storing and packaging. Considering they come vacuum packed with foil, that keeps out oxygen and light, two of the main detriments to hops. Freezing is the other way to keep them fresh as long as possible. Not sure what they do, maybe they have a FAQ page. But yeah I've seen others say they should be g2g. Also read somewhere that using 1 to 2 or 3 year old hops is easily adjustable by using more. I don't remember what the rate of degradation is by year.

I’d agree with the comment above, when stored cold, away from oxygen and light, the hops won’t loose much in my experience. I don’t recall reading about any scientific studies though, at least matching the above. Plenty showing room temp storage leads to degradation of the alpha acids. I use CTZ extract for my bittering addition (regardless of style), so not too concerned with alpha, more so total oil and oxygenated oil content.

In a couple months when the domestic 2019 start showing up they will be clearing out the 2018, if you are stocking up and not going to use them right away might want to wait.

This was the article I was thinking of regarding hop storage and breakdown.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/15/brewing-hops-storage-preserving-precious-hops/

“The relationship between temperature and hop bitterness is exponential – it is cut in half for every 15 degrees C (27 F) of lowered temperature.”

This can’t possible be true as you approach colder and colder temps. And frankly hotter and hotter temps too. I’d guess there is a linear range here, but where does it starts and stops?

Back