Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
My LHBS has Galaxy in one oz pouches but had a limit of 2 ounces per customer at $2.99 oz. I have searched various online sources that I normally use only to find Galaxy out of stock.

I did find a pound on Amazon for $44.99 but does not ship with Amazon Prime. This is a pretty expensive option, so I'm looking for other sources.

Does anyone have a source of Galaxy they can share?

Just placed order. OMG.....Galaxy PLUS 5 other lb packages of hops. Yeow! Thanks for the tip!!! Ok-time to brew.

Aren't those last years crop? Still going to be good since it's YVH after all, but the 2017 crop for Aussie hops should be available soon.

I've been looking for 2016 harvest Galaxy since July/August last year, and found nothing, until now.

I can't say for sure if these current one are indeed 2017 harvest hops, just listed under 2016 or if they are New Old Stock (NOS). The harvest was in March, so them showing up now is quite timely.

I'm sending them an email.

Last edited:
I was simply pleased to find these Galaxy hops and really didn't question the harvest year too much. I figured 2016 would be pretty good since they should be packaged in a sealed pouch.

I saw Sorachi Ace from 2014 on sale for $12 so I bought a pound of them, again hoping their vitality would be fresh enough for good utilization. If they have lost some vitality I can up the charge next batch, but hope this isn't necessary.

I have noticed that Hallertau and Northern Brewer hops on my last purchase had only half of the AA% of my previous purchase.

Yeah, wasn't questioning the quality... I've got some 2014 YVH packages that are still fine too. Was just wondering if those are 2016 or 2017, just in case the 2017 crops are now available.

Here's the inquiry I sent to Yakima Valley Hops:

I'm wondering from which harvest your Galaxy hops are.
They're listed under 2016, but they showed up last night after being non-available for at least the past 6-8 months.

And their response:

The Galaxy is 2016. Australia is on the opposite harvest cycle. Meaning that we get the 2016 crop in june or july instead of october for domestic crop. We had some breweries release some off their contract with us so we opened it back up for retail.

Cheers,

John

Well that's cool. I'll get a half pound. YVH hasn't let me down on quality yet. Even when I just brewed with 2014 hops 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the hook up.

Thanks, guys, I'm sure my wife will appreciate the 5 lbs of hops I just purchased! ;)

Picked up 2 lbs of Galaxy from YVH. I've ordered a lot of hops from them before but never really checked out their other brewing ingredients. They seem to be very competitively priced - beat More Beer both on flaked corn and DME, two things which I also needed. Very reasonable FedEx shipping as well.

5 lbs of hops + 12 lbs DME + 5 lbs flaked corn shipped for $15.

Back