Galaxian Monkey recipe + fermcap question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
Im looking to start my first hefe type of brew and just need some input on my recipe. Im not a pro by any means and will take any constructive criticism! Also, if anyone can let me know if im able to get around 3 gallons with the same amount of ingredients, id rather do an even 3 gallons or so without having to order 6 pounds of DME.
Im trying to make this a simple batch since its my first time for hefe. Im a hophead at heart so keep it in mind!

2.5 gal batch

Galaxian Monkey

3lbs Bavarian Wheat DME -30mins
.25oz AU Galaxy hops -30mins
Whirlfloc tablet -15mins
8oz Organic Honey - 15min
.75oz AU Galaxy Hops - 5mins

half vile WL300 and ferment at 71-73 degrees

Lastly, I dont know how crazy this yeast will be but i want to avoid using a blow off tube , ive read that using fermcap drops would help reduce the chance. Any comments?

Well, I will give it a shot. The Wheat DME should be enough to give you a decent gravity. For a hefe, those hops are not to style, and will most likely overshadow your Hefe yeast flavors. At that temperature though, you will be filled with over-ripe banana flavor. So perhaps your fruity flavors will play nice, perhaps not. Its all opinion really. But I'm pretty sure the clove flavors won't be noticeable with those hops. They are usually quite high AA%, probably 15% alpha acids... but you aren't using a whole lot...

Give it a shot, it could be a winner. I'm not sure that the honey is really going to do much that will be beneficial for an authentic hefeweizen, but again, its all opinion. Those temperatures could very well give you a large blow-off expulsion, but who knows. Are you going to be measuring and mainting 71-73 internal beer temperature or ambient. Because if thats ambient your beer will reach 80F and that is way too high man!

Well, I will give it a shot. The Wheat DME should be enough to give you a decent gravity. For a hefe, those hops are not to style, and will most likely overshadow your Hefe yeast flavors. At that temperature though, you will be filled with over-ripe banana flavor. So perhaps your fruity flavors will play nice, perhaps not. Its all opinion really. But I'm pretty sure the clove flavors won't be noticeable with those hops. They are usually quite high AA%, probably 15% alpha acids... but you aren't using a whole lot...

Give it a shot, it could be a winner. I'm not sure that the honey is really going to do much that will be beneficial for an authentic hefeweizen, but again, its all opinion. Those temperatures could very well give you a large blow-off expulsion, but who knows. Are you going to be measuring and mainting 71-73 internal beer temperature or ambient. Because if thats ambient your beer will reach 80F and that is way too high man!

Thank you for the reply!! this was just a spurr of the moment idea i had after seeing someone talk about a hefe using galaxy hops. I've never used galaxy myself but have had one beer (cant remember the name) with it. I might just go for it and see how it turns out.

I'll be shooting for 65-68 for the ambient temp, i really want the banana flavors that i love in some hefeweizen's. Hopefully fermcap will help with the foaming.

Sounds good, experimentation is something new, as alot of the old school brewers and traditonalists of the past would only stick to style and recipe guidelines. Our generation of brewers have opened the floodgate of what can be in a beer, and its great! Please let us know how it tastes, maybe a delicious combination of tropical fruits with a light yeasty wheat background?

Back