Dunkelweizen recipe questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatsyukianDeke

self-proclaimed
Reaction score
My next batch up is going to be a Dunkelweizen (extract). Just wondering if anyone has any advice, comments, criticism etc for me. It's a basic wheat beer with a half pound of Carafa III steeped for 30' to give it some color. That and I happened to have it laying around so what the hell. I'm going to try a few new things this time including a full volume boil and using half of the LME as a late addition. Here's the recipe...

Steep .5 lb Carafa III for 30' @ 155F

BOIL 1.5 lb Wheat LME (60')

.25oz Tettnanger Pellets

----------

4.5lb Wheat LME (15')

1lb Bavarian Wheat DME (15')

.75oz Tettnanger Pellets (15')

Irish Moss
Yeast Nutrient

Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat

I'm wondering if I should add more of the LME as the late-addition, maybe 75% instead of 50%, any thoughts?

edit: After looking at this some more I'm thinking it might be best to move .25oz of the hops to the later addition and only boil 1.5lb of the LME to begin with. Then I'll add the rest of the LME and the DME during the last 15 minutes.

Does anyone have experience with the 3056? Anything I should know about this strain? Anything else?

As far as fermentation goes I figure I could just leave this one in primary for 3-4 weeks then go straight to bottle from there. Or would this need some time in secondary?

A dunkelweizen is hard to do extract. Cause usually its a mix of wheat and munich malt. Wheat extract is 50-65% wheat, and the rest 2 row or pils. And munich malt will need to be mashed. By adding the carafa, you will get the color, but not not the increased malt flavor. That said, it will still be a good beer.

I havent used 3056 but it is a blend, aimed to tone down the hefe charecter. 3068 is the classic bananna/clove strain. 3638 is more complex with also rose, vanilla, and pear notes in addition. 3333 is a more laid back strain. I mostly just get a bit of clove and not much else when ive used it.

This is not a hop focused beer. If you want a little bit of noble hop flavor leave it as is. Its not really important for the style. Just make sure you are in the 10-18 IBU range.

3-4 weeks and direct to bottle is fine for this beer. They should be drank young.

giraffe brings up some good points, one thing you can do is try adding some carawheat or caramunich to enhance the malt body. wheat beer yeast have super fast and aggresive fermentations so make sure you use a blow off right off the bat if you are using a carboy.

Maybe I should be calling it a dark wheat beer as opposed to a dunkelweizen. Either way, I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

I think it'll be fine as is. The only suggestion I'd make is you don't need to steep the Carafa for 30 minutes. You probably only need 10 or less. Could probably get away with 5 minutes or less.

A dunkelweizen is hard to do extract. Cause usually its a mix of wheat and munich malt. Wheat extract is 50-65% wheat, and the rest 2 row or pils. And munich malt will need to be mashed. By adding the carafa, you will get the color, but not not the increased malt flavor. That said, it will still be a good beer.

I havent used 3056 but it is a blend, aimed to tone down the hefe charecter. 3068 is the classic bananna/clove strain. 3638 is more complex with also rose, vanilla, and pear notes in addition. 3333 is a more laid back strain. I mostly just get a bit of clove and not much else when ive used it.

This is not a hop focused beer. If you want a little bit of noble hop flavor leave it as is. Its not really important for the style. Just make sure you are in the 10-18 IBU range.

3-4 weeks and direct to bottle is fine for this beer. They should be drank young.

Looking at it I think I played it too safe with the yeast. I'll have to try a couple of the other strains on my next brew.

Back