Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! Good luck on your first AG -- I did my first AG brew this summer as well (also a Rye Pale Ale) -- turned out fantastic! One of the best beer's I've ever made!

Back to brewing after the steak knife incident; making a Pumpkin/Butternut Squash Porter :)

i need help with kegging :confused:
so i have:
-corny keg
-co2 talk (i think empty, i need to fill it up, any suggestions for places around town?)
-single gauge regulator
-pumpkin ale ready to be kegged and drank asap.
--
i'm reading all over the web that kegging takes 5 days or more. what? i moved to kegging for two reasons. 1) no pain of bottling 2) to drink sooner.

in my head i thought it was possible to keg beer and drink it soon after 24 hours.
--
if this is the appropriate place to talk about this, shoot me a pm.

-co2 talk (i think empty, i need to fill it up, any suggestions for places around town?)

Alachua Fire Extinguisher Co
2939 SW Williston Rd
Gainesville, FL 32608-3963
(352) 377-3473

They fill while you wait, about $20 in cash for a 10-lb tank. ‎

--
i'm reading all over the web that kegging takes 5 days or more. what? i moved to kegging for two reasons. 1) no pain of bottling 2) to drink sooner.

in my head i thought it was possible to keg beer and drink it soon after 24 hours.

You can do it the quick way by cooling it down, turning up the CO2 and shaking the hell out of it for a while. It's easy to overshoot your target carbonation level that way, though.

I do 33psi for 36 hours then bleed down to 11psi and hold for 12 more and my carbonation is usually perfect.

I don't remember where I picked up that technique from though.

I do 33psi for 36 hours then bleed down to 11psi and hold for 12 more and my carbonation is usually perfect.

I don't remember where I picked up that technique from though.
similar method here

I do 30 for 24 hours after the keg is already cold, then bleed to 12psi and it's good in like a few days.

it's not instant, but you ever miss...
maybe I should try your 36 hour method...

I am not Chris, but it's on Center Drive, across the street from the Psych building.

Thanks. I thought they had a map on their website at one time?? I am kinda ignorant to the college area. Just scored some good seats to the rest of the home games starting with the LSU ( :( ) game and wanted to check you guys out next game!

Go Gators!!!

Thanks. I thought they had a map on their website at one time?? I am kinda ignorant to the college area. Just scored some good seats to the rest of the home games starting with the LSU ( :( ) game and wanted to check you guys out next game!

Go Gators!!!

If you are driving up Archer Road from I-75, turn left onto Center Drive (immediately before you get to Shands), then drive about halfway up the hill and look for the enormous blue tailgator on the left side of the street across from the Psych building. If you search Google maps for "Center Drive, Gainesville, FL; you'll get a view of the area.

Making a Simcoe IPA (bittered with Magnum) right now. That wort is damn tasty!!!

Orlando-ish area here. I can't determine if it is a good or bad thing. :p

orlando is a gigantic area... be specific!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just playing... kinda

brewing a smash tomorrow yall. very excite..

not technically a smash since I got half a pound of 10L but, a near smash

I'm thinking of going with galena for bittering and centennial for 45, 30, 15 and dry hop chinook

what y'all think?

So you are brewing a Single Malt, Single Hop beer with two malts and three hops?

orlando is a gigantic area... be specific!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just playing... kinda

brewing a smash tomorrow yall. very excite..

not technically a smash since I got half a pound of 10L but, a near smash

I'm thinking of going with galena for bittering and centennial for 45, 30, 15 and dry hop chinook

what y'all think?

Specifically (safely) I live in Lake County. Full of swamp water and retired folk. :)

I brewed my first tonight. Lots of work (cleaning, sanitizing, brewing), but totally fun and the house smells wonderful.

Everything sounds great this point until I can zero in what I like the best. Good Luck.

Specifically (safely) I live in Lake County. Full of swamp water and retired folk. :)

I brewed my first tonight. Lots of work (cleaning, sanitizing, brewing), but totally fun and the house smells wonderful.

Everything sounds great this point until I can zero in what I like the best. Good Luck.

Good job on the first brew! and yeah unfortunately florida is filled with the retired folk :(

The entire country is filled with retired folk, not just Florida.

Eh, may make a starter today for my first fall brew. I don't think I should use that gallon of hefe in my fermenting keg. The yeast is probably long dead, since late May.

Full time school and work make little time for brewing but I think I'm going to brew up an Alt to have ready for the end of winter or the beginning of spring. Had the Schlösser Das Alt this past week at the food and wine festival at Epcot and decided I want to try to make one.

Full time school and work make little time for brewing but I think I'm going to brew up an Alt to have ready for the end of winter or the beginning of spring. Had the Schlösser Das Alt this past week at the food and wine festival at Epcot and decided I want to try to make one.

They actually have decent beers at the food and wine festival now?

I'm going to do this:

5# Pilsen Malt
2# Vienna malt
3# Wheat malt

.75 oz Hallataur @ 60 min
.75 oz Hallataur @ 15 min

WLP400/Notty washed from a previous brew that was outstanding.

They actually have decent beers at the food and wine festival now?
I had La Fin du Mond, Latitude 48 IPA, Leffe Blond and Das Alt. My wife had Abita Purple Haze and 15th Anniversary Coastal Wheat (tasted like regular Coastal Wheat but with a pronounced lemon-y tartness). They had quite a few others as well that were worth trying including a couple Full Sail beers, a couple more Abitas, a HUGE selection of Sam Adams and some other good imports. There were three places where the only thing they sold was beer.

Last year I had Affligem Blond, 14th Anniversary Beer and a couple others. It's getting better and better.

Belgium also had a free book on pairing beer with food and cooking with beer.

Welcome Southern Cross! I must be close to you, I am off NW 142nd. May do a brew tomorrow night, Friday or Saturday.

I'm brewing up another batch next weekend holla!!!!!

on a whim out of nowhere I decided with a buddy to make a graff. There are no LHBS in SFL, except in lake worth but it's over an hour away.

Needless to say, I ended up making a graff without any steeping grains and I'm afraid to taste it... I'll taste itsunday night when I get back in town...

I'm brewing up another batch next weekend holla!!!!!

on a whim out of nowhere I decided with a buddy to make a graff. There are no LHBS in SFL, except in lake worth but it's over an hour away.

Needless to say, I ended up making a graff without any steeping grains and I'm afraid to taste it... I'll taste itsunday night when I get back in town...
Let me know if you come up again. I'd like to meet up over a few beers. I still think it's weird when I randomly see you pop up on friends facebook comments.

Let me know if you come up again. I'd like to meet up over a few beers. I still think it's weird when I randomly see you pop up on friends facebook comments.

hahaha definitely.

I'll be up in mid november during South carolina weekend.

I think it's nov 12th?

Brewday started out great, until I realized that yet another Better Bottle broke on me. Thankfully, I am repitching onto an old yeast cake this time, but I still have to go out and buy expensive bottled water instead of cheap bulk water.
This will be a Vienna-Amarillo near-SMaSH with Denny's Favorite 1450, OG 1.060

Anybody try swamphead beers @ BJ`s? I had the ipa and got a beer with no aroma,no hops and no foam. The wife got a Oktoberfest and it was the same flat, no flavor, so is that how all the beers are @ BJ`s?

Latest posts

Back