Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got done brewing a Stone IPA clone. It's my 3rd time to do it. Won a medal with it once. It's delicious. Brewing again Sunday. What a weekend.

Had a fun brewday! Broke yet another damn probe thermometer today. Tap water is starting to get too warm to chill the beer all the way down to pitching temp with my immersion chiller, and I didn't feel like rigging up an ice bath, so the batch is sitting on the back porch to chill down to 68 degrees or so.

The wort is so sweet, it tastes like liquid rock candy. I have 500 ml of thick yeast slurry to pitch into this one that I grew up in two separate starters totaling 2700 ml. Also had a boil over after adding the late-addition DME and had to pour like half an ounce of Fermcap in there to get it under control. Was kind of fun.

Will bottle my pale ale on Sunday, and then try myself at brewing a small batch of German lager next week or so. After that I'll probably be done with brewing for 3-4 weeks until I work on emptying some bottles :) :tank: :mug:

Tap water STARTING to get warm? Heck, with these cool mornings, I would think it would still be cold. Had a temp reading of 23 on my sensor at 3' outside the back door, this morning. But I am in a "frost pocket".

Tap water STARTING to get warm? Heck, with these cool mornings, I would think it would still be cold. Had a temp reading of 23 on my sensor at 3' outside the back door, this morning. But I am in a "frost pocket".

Same here, 26f under my brewtree this morning.

Tap water STARTING to get warm?

I think it's actually normal for this time of the year here in GNV. It was just colder for a while because we had freezes for like two weeks straight when I last brewed.

Living out towards the springs, and having a well that taps into that aquifer, my well water should be 72* year 'round. But I have never checked it. Something else to add to the list today.

Scored a nice turkey fryer burner a neighbor was going to pitch, yesterday. In pretty good shape. If I can get the "goobers" out of the propane tank connection. God only knows what's in the burner itself.

Bottled my APA this afternoon and am planning to tear into my bag of Pilsner malt later this week for my first lager: 3 gallons of German Pils. Thinking of doing the following:

Recipe: German Pilsner
Style: German Pilsner (Pils)
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.25 gal
Boil Size: 4.35 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.40 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.8 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (15 min)Hops 1.0 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (15 min)Hops 1.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

0.25 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.75 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [2500 mL starter]

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 7.80 qt of water at 158.5 F 148.0 F

Did the Vienna SMASH this afternoon. Hopped it a little less to suite my tastes. Followed the same schedule except 1 oz. instead of 2.5 oz. at the 20 minute mark. Beer Pal, (iPhone app) showed an IBU of 94 with original hop schedule.

Ended up with 4.5 gallons after the boil, which is OK, since I am fermenting in a Corny keg.

Found an audiobook by Charles Bamforth at the public library today: Brewmaster’s Art: The History and Science of Beermaking. Looking forward to listening to that.

They also have (as regular books) Brew Like a Monk, Farmhouse Ales, Designing Great Beers, Joy of Homebrewing and several other homebrewing-related books.

Did the Vienna SMASH this afternoon. Hopped it a little less to suite my tastes. Followed the same schedule except 1 oz. instead of 2.5 oz. at the 20 minute mark. Beer Pal, (iPhone app) showed an IBU of 94 with original hop schedule.

Ended up with 4.5 gallons after the boil, which is OK, since I am fermenting in a Corny keg.

94 IBUs? I calculate 60. Centennial is around 8% AA, most programs have it at around 10% as a default. I also use Rager formula.

That's impossible. 4 oz of 8% AA hops can't equal 94 IBUs. With the recipe you brewed I'm showing 39.6 IBUs which is right at the bottom of the guidelines as far as bitterness goes.

Apparently I forgot that a month and a half ago I agreed to work for Jason today. Wasn't reminded until I had just mashed in and grabbed a beer and two hot dogs. Came back home after work (only lost 4 degrees in 5+ hours) and finished brewing. Everything turned out good.

It was funny, a guy who comes in there a lot and his wife were on their way to the shop today and saw me brewing outside. Then 15 minutes later I was at the shop. They said to each other that it couldn't have been me out there brewing. Sadly, it was.

The Bell's clone that I added the amylase to is down to 1.018 now, was stuck at 1.022. Estimated FG is 1.016. I'll give it another week and see how it's doing.

That's impossible. 4 oz of 8% AA hops can't equal 94 IBUs. With the recipe you brewed I'm showing 39.6 IBUs which is right at the bottom of the guidelines as far as bitterness goes.

Well, that's what "Beer Pal" said it would be. I think it was a free app. You get what you pay for. If my free trial of Beersmith hasn't expired, I'll plug it in there. We'll see how she turns out.

Recipe the way I did it shows an IBU of 63 and balance of 1.21 according to Beer Pal.

I cracked open a bottle of the Koelsch-fermented Abbey malt ales today. Really nice complex malt flavor.

The Dark Strong is ignoring the fermcap and blowing off into my airlock like crazy.

Bamforth audio book is very NPRish, but enjoyable to listen to.

The Dark Strong blew off again overnight. That stuff just keeps going and going!

Didn't feel like fixing food for breakfast, so I tried the S-33 fermented Abbey Malt ale. Very different from the Koelsch-fermented one - this one is a bit more spicy and much, much sweeter.

Vienna sMasH is fermenting nicely. I've got it working in a ball lock corny. Main fermenter has the Altbier still bubbling once every 5 minutes or so on day 11.

Thinking of brewing a 20% wheat with that Vienna.

I'm kind of busy myself, so maybe next weekend.

Hey anyone had any of those Swamp Head Brewery ales? I saw some of their empty torpedo kegs at Gator Beverage today. Their 10-10-10 looks like something Chris would enjoy. (110 IBU's!!)

I'm kind of busy myself, so maybe next weekend.

Hey anyone had any of those Swamp Head Brewery ales? I saw some of their empty torpedo kegs at Gator Beverage today. Their 10-10-10 looks like something Chris would enjoy. (110 IBU's!!)
I've had all of them as I volunteer at the brewery from time to time.

10-10-10 is good and got a bronze metal in the Best Florida Beer competition. The Oaked 10-10-10 is freaking awesome though (it won a gold.)

I'd like to see that place. The equipment photos on the website are awesome. I did not see a building on 43rd way that looked like the building in the pictures, though.

If you are coming off archer you turn north on 40th (between the Exxon and the McDonald's) and follow the road around the bend. Make the second right (there is a small sign for Magnum Wood on the corner) and go all the way to the back. Once you are in the industrial park it is in the back next to Magnum Wood. If they have the bay doors closed you will probably miss it. There is only one small sign on the door.

As of today they had samples of all of their regular beers except the Big Nose IPA. They were killing a keg of 10-10-10 on the Big Nose IPA tap. They also have a keg of Cigar City Jai Alai on tap.

So I posted this in the Recipes section without too much success, but I wanted to ask you guys:

What would a Strong Scotch Ale brewed with Vienna as the base malt taste like? I like my scotch ales sweet and clean, and I figured Vienna would give me this in spades.

Something like this? (4gal):

9.50lb Vienna
0.50lb British Crystal (55L)
0.25lb Aromatic Malt
0.25lb Special B
1.00oz Roasted Barley

1.25oz EKG @ 60 for about 20 IBU

1.072 OG fermented down to about 1.020
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

I am now the proud owner of 185 lbs of various base malts (Weyermann Pils, Weyermann Vienna, Weyermann Pale Wheat, Briess 2-row, Crisp Maris Otter) and got my Drunk of the Week medal alongside with 2 lbs of dark candi sugar from the Brewing Network today. I see lots of brewing in my near future!!!

I revised the Pils recipe I posted before a little bit; adding some flameout hops. Really looking forward to this one.

Now to figure out what to do with the four kegs I have coming in next week, considering I don't have a fridge nor a CO2 tank for them...

So I posted this in the Recipes section without too much success, but I wanted to ask you guys:

What would a Strong Scotch Ale brewed with Vienna as the base malt taste like? I like my scotch ales sweet and clean, and I figured Vienna would give me this in spades.

Something like this? (4gal):

9.50lb Vienna
0.50lb British Crystal (55L)
0.25lb Aromatic Malt
0.25lb Special B
1.00oz Roasted Barley

1.25oz EKG @ 60 for about 20 IBU

1.072 OG fermented down to about 1.020
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

I've never used Vienna as a base malt except for the SMaSHs. I don't really see a problem with it. I'm not a fan of Scotch ales, therefore I don't know a whole lot about them.

Just mashed in on another batch of Jamil's Amber. Damn is that beer good.

so i finally found some bigfoot 2010 only im in KY and cant bring it home. life can be so cruel at times. they have this awesome store up here called the liquor barn. it puts any liquor store to shame. they have the best selection of beer ive ever seen. i wish i could bring some home. damn airplane 3 oz liquid rule. looks like im going to have to drink what i can while im here.

so i finally found some bigfoot 2010 only im in KY and cant bring it home. life can be so cruel at times. they have this awesome store up here called the liquor barn. it puts any liquor store to shame. they have the best selection of beer ive ever seen. i wish i could bring some home. damn airplane 3 oz liquid rule. looks like im going to have to drink what i can while im here.

got a balloon?

Apparently the beer gun doesn't work with my regulator. It's got a piece that screws into the regulator, but mine is barbed.

my gas QD's are threaded. i usually screw on off and hook it up to the beer gun. if you want you can bring your keg over to my house and fill your bottles there

Now to figure out what to do with the four kegs I have coming in next week, considering I don't have a fridge nor a CO2 tank for them...

There's always ice and muck buckets! I got an extra 5# from AirGas on Waldo, $99 plus fill. That's a bit pricey, have seen them online for half that but I don't know if shipped would eat the rest up.

got the beer gun to work. just took off the co2 line that comes with it and attached mine.

duh.

just filled four bottles for competition. easy peasy.

What kind of beer gun do you have Chris?

I started to build one out of a brass block with copper tubing. I somehow lost it during the move down here. Grrrr!!! I think I paid close to $20 for that piece of brass.

I still have the plans for it if anyone is interested. I don't know if anyone around here sells chunks of brass.

I'll have to look that one up and see how it is made.

Vienna Smash looks to be done fermenting. I did it a corny keg. Wanted to take a gravity reading this morning, but dip tube is plugged with yeast. Even 30 PSI would not work. Guess I'll have to pull and clean it.

Picture-perfect brewday today... almost. I ended up with a little less beer at a slightly higher gravity than I had hoped for, but otherwise everything went extremely well for my first lager. It's chilling down now, and I'll pitch once the temp goes below 58 degrees.

kicked the apa tonight. bottled two bottles yesterday for the comp then pulled my dad a sample today ... only got about 2 oz and pfffffftttttt.

Amber isn't too far behind.

Hey Chris, thanks for reminding me about this thread. Just checking in.

PS Even yanking with the carboy carrier, damn thing didn't budge from the Styrofoam container it came in. Had to cut it off. So much for my insulation idea.

Hey Chris, thanks for reminding me about this thread. Just checking in.

PS Even yanking with the carboy carrier, damn thing didn't budge from the Styrofoam container it came in. Had to cut it off. So much for my insulation idea.

ha, that sucks. get you a rubbermaid tub, fill it half full of water, put your carboy in it and cover it with a shirt.

Like this:

fermenting.jpg

well its official, i accepted a job in winter haven. it looks like ill be moving soon.

**** you, matt. i'm keeping your beer gun.

Back