Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of kegs. How come nobody uses the Sankey (SP?) kegs, like the ones domestic beer now comes in. My first guess is cleaning them could be a problem for the average joe and possibly filling them without specialized equipment. Did I answer my own question?

Speaking of kegs. How come nobody uses the Sankey (SP?) kegs, like the ones domestic beer now comes in. My first guess is cleaning them could be a problem for the average joe and possibly filling them without specialized equipment. Did I answer my own question?

As well as cost and ease of maneuverability. I have contemplated buying Blichmann kettles many times after lugging the "keggles" around during brewing and cleaning.

Has anyone tried out the new Abbey base malt from Weyermann yet? I am looking into brewing a Belgian Dark Strong sometime soon, and this sounds like a potential replacement for Munich malt.

Has anyone tried out the new Abbey base malt from Weyermann yet?

I asked a Dutch brewer buddy:

"Yes, it is a newer type"
"I'm not sure if you want this.
Belgium beers are more fruity than malty.

Let's not forget that Wyermann is a German company.
There beers are extremely malty.
But Belgian beers..."

-----
I'll be getting some info from my Belgian brewer buddy later this weekend.

Well, I just mashed in an Abbey-Styrian Goldings SMaSH using the last four pounds of the Abbey malt at the store.
The Abbey is supposed to be a base malt, but I picked up some German Pale malt to add just in case it doesn't convert itself properly. I am making one gallon with S-33 dry yeast and one gallon with some washed Koelsch yeast.

My 5-grain Koelsch batch is now lagering in an ice-water bath, where it will remain for two weeks or so. The hydrometer sample was delicious, although a bit heavy on the Munich-flavor. After lagering and carbonating, this should be really good.

I think I am seeing that - it's very slow to convert. Not surprising considering how dark it is. It's also quite hard to control the temperature with so little grain inside my large mash tun. I'm going to decoct and let it go for another 30 minutes. Then I'll add the pale malt if necessary (which I believe it will be).

Update: The pale malt really gave the mash a jumpstart. Of course, now this will be a very strong ale, so I am adding a proper bittering hop as well to bring up the IBUs. Good thing I was prepared for this sort of scenario.

Update 2: Finally done. OG 1.066 with about a third of a gallon of wort left over - I guess I overestimated my boil-off rate. Wort is outside chilling down from about 78 degrees into the 60s; then I'll pitch the yeast later tonight.

Citra IPA is no more. It had it's chance. Put the Amber in the keg.

Tried the beer I brewed last Wednesday, tastes great. I made it with S04 and it fermented at 60F the whole time (not by choice). Sitting at 1.014 and dropped clear already. Started cold crashing it tonight. If I had more kegs I would keg this thing up and have it at the brew class.

Feels good to have drinkable beer on tap.

I need more kegs. Anyone want to sell any?

I need more kegs. Anyone want to sell any?

I have been talking with Pick on here about doing a group buy for a few kegs. if you want in let me know. the cheapest i can seem to find is $30.8 per keg shipped. that is at kegconnection.com for the grade b kegs. for about the same price per keg there are the single handled kegs at chicompany.net. if you can find a better deal, im all ears.

pedalbiker (kegglebrewing.com) has 2 packs for 29.98 per keg shipped. not that much cheaper and they have loose tops or bottoms. I've bought 2 from him before and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

his 4 packs run $22 a keg without shipping. these are not the loose tops or bottoms but they aren't reconditioned. just need need orings and it says it might have residual syrup inside.

i think i've found a new method of cleaning out my kegs instead of using sanitizer and oxyclean. my beers usually taste fine until i get them in the keg.

for the last two batches I've taken the keg outside and rinsed it out with my chlorine riddled water from the hose. while I'm doing this I get some water boiling on the stove (about a gallon or so). once it's boiling I pour it in the keg and put the lid on. it usually vents off a little bit from the steam. Pick it up, shake it around and hook it up to the CO2. then I dispense through the picnic tap and run it through my racking cane to clean/sanitize it as well. the water is still boiling hot at this point. once the kegs empty I vent off the remaining pressure, open the top and put the racking cane in so it doesn't touch anything. then I proceed as normal.

I think I'm going to stick to this method. I know everyone says don't fear the foam and all that, but it's always bothered me to dump beer on a ton of sanitizer foam. this has worked great for the last two batches. and it's cheaper.

also, wine theif's are the ****.

Hey, Matt, I just ordered a 4 pack from chi.com, ball locks. These are clean kegs.

Got one in the fermenter,(8 days) debating whether to keg or not. Hydrometer says it's done. Getting a bubble every 4 minutes or so. If I can figure out how to get it out of the bathtub, that is. May let it set another week. Similar to Nuptial recipe at the store, hopped different, though. Tasted not too bad, a little light, though. Used the hydro sample in a batch of beer bread, along with some Bud Light Wheat.

i didnt know you already placed the order. what was the total?

i knew i saw cheaper kegs somewhere once before(kegglebrewing.com). thanks for the find chris. im going to bookmark that one. the 4 pack shipped runs $27 a keg.

Speaking of kegs, I have one that is leaking from the pressure relief valve. I have tried swapping it out but it still leaks. I guess it's possible the 2nd one is bad too, but other than that, anyone got any idea's?

Matt, I think these are cleaned and shipped under pressure, so no fiddling with O rings, etc. I think the total came out to around $30 per keg, with shipping. Should be here Friday.

Yambor44, what about the threads into the keg?

Matt, I think these are cleaned and shipped under pressure, so no fiddling with O rings, etc. I think the total came out to around $30 per keg, with shipping. Should be here Friday.

Yambor44, what about the threads into the keg?

They seem okay. Didn't have a problem threading the valve in. The leak seems to be coming from the holes in the valve. The same place the unit would release pressure from. I thought it was the gasket at the bottom (it's the gray style) but swapping didn't seem to change anything. I'll just buy some more new ones. Maybe the one I swapped out had the same issue. There's no way to change that tiny gasket at the end of the valve I am assuming?

Really enjoyed it, myself. Did not realize how many homebrewers there were in the area. I know that was just a slice of them.

Enjoyed the conversations and sampling of various brews. Did not get through all of them!!:mug:

Just sampled my Abbey malt concoction - surprisingly good. The one I fermented with Koelsch yeast tastes very smooth and balanced. The other gallon, which I fermented with S-33, is a bit more sweet & spicy with a more pronounced hop bitterness. If I feel like it I'll bottle these later today.

Anyone know how the Hoggtowne Creek 2nd runnings Ale turned out? Did they get it boiled off and into a fermenter? (the stuff made from the city runnoff fed waters of Hoggtowne Creek?)

Anyone know how the Hoggtowne Creek 2nd runnings Ale turned out? Did they get it boiled off and into a fermenter? (the stuff made from the city runnoff fed waters of Hoggtowne Creek?)

It looked and smelled disgusting.

Thinking about brewing Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale clone from Can You Brew It this Saturday. That or the stone ipa clone that I've brewed a couple times already.

New brewer in Gainesville here, been reading about brewing for a couple years now but just decided to start brewing. I think chefchris sold me my equipment.

i love this beer. is the recipe in the show? is it posted anywhere?

Maybe check the brewing network forums. It is given in the podcast.

New brewer in Gainesville here, been reading about brewing for a couple years now but just decided to start brewing. I think chefchris sold me my equipment.

Welcome. It's very possible that I sold you the equipment. There's two Chris' that work there. I'm the cool one.

Was browsing on beeradocate.com last night and checked out the shop. Someone posted a good review but then he said that the word on the street is to not buy carboy's from us. WTF? We order them from the same place everyone else does. We're not welding glass in there.

Hey Chris I thought you hated rye.

I like rye as long as it's not overpowering.

Is Dorn's out of business? Can't seem to find them. Is there another place in town that has a nice selection of beers?

Dorn's is still open, I was just there yesterday picking up some beer and some cheese.

Gator Beverage, Tipple's and Ward's also have a great selection of beers.

I called them tonight. I was looking on the wrong side of the street.

Speaking of cheese, Fresh Market has a good selection. There is a place up in Live Oak, called Wainwright Dairy, that makes really good cheddar. Hitchcock's carries it as do some S&S stores.

Gator Beverage has taken the lead as far as beer selection in Gainesville goes. They even have a very helpful employee now (dark haired, bearded guy), unlike the rest who act like you're ruining their day if dare to open your mouth, even if just to say "hi".

Knightly Spirits on Hiawassee Rd. in Orlando is still by far the best beer store in central Florida that I have come across.

Back