Gaaaaah!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Did a batch last night. everything went perfect. hit my temps dead-on, kept the boil going (my stove aint' too stout), everything like it should be.

racking into the primary this morning (I chill all night in the brew pot in the bathtub), got pot on the kitchen table, primary on the floor...

I turn and hear, "thhwhhoip" ... and see an INK PEN that had been lying on the table, now bobbing merrily just below the surface of my pristine sweet wort beside the hydrometer :eek:

a NON-SANITIZED ink pen, mind you.

hoping the yeast cranks off quick...

$&#*$! &~%!!!

According to Palmer, only crayons and dead things with fur are a problem.:D I would sanitize a spoon and fish it out.

david_42 said:
I would sanitize a spoon and fish it out.

I keep my hands wet with sanitizer when racking / bottling - dove in and got it barefisted... well bare fingertipped anyway...

Wonder why no crayons???

No crayons? Nose-pickin', curtain climbin' , sneezin' coughin' KIDS..that's why. :)

Exo said:
No crayons? Nose-pickin', curtain climbin' , sneezin' coughin' KIDS..that's why. :)

Amen brother...

Speaking of, its too quiet, I wonder where mine are?

freebird said:
racking into the primary this morning (I chill all night in the brew pot in the bathtub), got pot on the kitchen table, primary on the floor...

You racked from the boil pot into the primary? Very interesting. I've never heard of doing this. Man you learn new tips and techniques everyday.

What is the purpose/advantages of racking your wort from pot to primary?

Orpheus said:
You racked from the boil pot into the primary? Very interesting. I've never heard of doing this. Man you learn new tips and techniques everyday.

What is the purpose/advantages of racking your wort from pot to primary?
If you rack rather than pour, you can leave most if not all of the hot and cold break sediment in the brew pot rather than in your fermenter.

freebird said:
Yuri_Rage said:
If you rack rather than pour, you can leave most if not all of the hot and cold break sediment in the brew pot rather than in your fermenter.

So how are you areating your wort in thes situations? an aeration stone?

glibbidy said:
Sorry, should have specified - I aerate with an oxygen bottle and aquarium stone (2 micron, I think). You could also aerate by leaving the siphon hose a few inches above the wort level in the fermenter, allowing it to splash a bit as it transfers. Fermentap makes a siphon hose spray attachment specifically for that purpose.

glibbidy said:

I hold the tube at the top of the bucket, and since I don't do but about 4 gallon boils right now, when adding my bottled spring water I let it splash a bunnnnch.

Secondaried this brew tonight; it looked OK - no hunks floating, no mold on top, actually was very clear, gravity down to 1.011 (from 1.038). Still has that sulphur smell (from another thread) Doesn't taste bad though. But doesn't taste "right" either.

If it went bad, would it be instant retch, or just not taste "good"?

I had about half a pint... :drunk:

Kind of a cross-post, but all is well with this batch. Whew. Best lawnmower brew I've made.

Now I have to find that ink pen and dump it in every time!

Wheeeeeeeeeee-doggies!

freebird said:
Kind of a cross-post, but all is well with this batch. Whew. Best lawnmower brew I've made.

Now I have to find that ink pen and dump it in every time!

Wheeeeeeeeeee-doggies!

Just goes to show you, I guess, that relaxin' and not worryin' is the way to go.

I bet the nice part about the pen brew is that you can now write with your tongue?:D

Glad to hear it turned out good. Little accidents will happen to all of us from time to time. RDWHAHB is a good mantra to chant in most cases.

Back