FYI for west Houston/Katy/Spring Cypress folks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestmaty

Reaction score
New lhbs store just opened up at the corner of Fry rd and Morton Rd. They are 2 weeks old, I was their first walk in sale Saturday April 14th, the day they officially opened.

They have a BUNCH of stuff... we need to support our local Home Brew Supply stores!!!!!

www.texashomebrewers.com

I went by there today. I was on my way home from out of town and decided to take a detour. I got the tour of the shop and was able to talk to the friendly/helpful employees. Their location is much more convenient for me....so I will be giving them more of my money in the near future.

Nice. I'm new to home brewing but have been ordering online or driving all the way to defalcos in the past. I'll def stop by and give them my business.

Bluechulappa,

Just a heads up. The store is not easily seen from fry rd. They are located behind the walgreens at the intersection of Morton & Fry

That strip center/warehouse row has seen quite a few small businesses come and go. One that comes to mind is/was Spanky's crawfish. I really, really want this home-brew-supply business to succeed.

I've offered my help to John the owner. Free labor to hump stuff to and from local events and tastings.

He, John the owner, has been in contact with the owners of www.nolabelbrew.com, and has their blessing to set up a table and sell beer and wine kits & distribute literature announcing his business to the west houston home brewers. No Label has 2,3 500 people show up in their Katy brewery every Saturday (excepting the first Sat of each month), and I think the owner of www.texashomebrewers.com should take the opportunity to announce themselves LOUDLY at these events!

I mean, jeezus, this is a HUGE city, and it has always stumped me how us westerners had to drive to DeFalco's if we wanted something w/o waiting on an internet order.

Get a bumper sticker from texas homebrewers and do some free advertising !!!!!

I have been in the store a few times now great place and great selection for a new buisness. For anyone in Katy you might also if you haven't check out the Cane Island Alers we are the local homebrew club in Katy you can find the group on facebook bunch of laid back guys who enjoy brewing as well as drinking.

Stopped by yesterday on my way home from work...very nice people and nice selection with good pricing. This is where I will be purchasing my homebrew neccesities from now on! Been makin wine at home for a while now I think I'm going to try my hand at beer.

Stopped by yesterday on my way home from work...very nice people and nice selection with good pricing. This is where I will be purchasing my homebrew neccesities from now on! Been makin wine at home for a while now I think I'm going to try my hand at beer.

Do it! I'd be willing to bet the jump from wine to beer would be easy for you.

You meet John? Older (60ish) dude? If so, he's the owner. You might have met Trey, young kid about early 20's... works there everyday with his girlfriend.

I bought another fermenter and airlock Monday. I've started to get a pipeline going and needed to bottle on Monday, but realized my bottling bucket (which is also my primary fermenter), was in use with a new batch which isn't due to be racked to secondary till Wednesday.

They'll give you 10% off your first purchase, I think their website puts that in writing...

Oh.. just fyi...

Once you get bitten by the homebrew bug, you'll hear about making beer "all grain". Basically, no extracts and no kit. Only grain, hops, yeast and priming sugar. And, of course, a lot of water :D

A pretty good investment (maybe a couple hundred for specialized equipment), and instead of making 5 gallon batches for $40, you can get it down to half of that.

My ingredient list has me using about $8 in grain, $5 in yeast, $4 in hops, and negligible cost for priming sugar when it comes time to bottle. Burn some propane, but again, that cost is minimal per each brew. Extract kits allow you to use your home stove cause less water is heated... like 2 gallons or so.

Doing all grain will have you putting a brew pot on the burner, trying to raise the temp to boiling, a kettle with maybe 6-7 gallons of water! No stove I can think of has enough oomph to get that much water to boil.

My neighbor, who brought me into homebrewing, says that I'm 'ate up with it'. Yes, I've jumped in headfirst and am on my 3rd batch of going solo. He's on a once-a-month brew schedule, and we do that monthly brew together, 10 gallons at a time.

Only piece of equipment I still need is a grain crusher. My neighbor has agreed to crush grain any time I ask him AND this new brew supply store has a crusher too. They'll crush your grain if you ask em:rockin:

I just inquired about hooking up with the local Katy area homebrewer's club via facebook... they're called Cane Island Alers on fb. I think they're having a monthly 'get-together' on Sunday May 27th, basically at the corner of Morton and Fry at a member's house. Check out their page on fb... I'm going to ask if I can come and bring some of my homebrew :ban:

That poster in this thread, #6 calebawilson, is part of this CIA group. Ha... my last name is wilson too!

jestmaty said:
Oh.. just fyi...

Once you get bitten by the homebrew bug, you'll hear about making beer "all grain". Basically, no extracts and no kit. Only grain, hops, yeast and priming sugar. And, of course, a lot of water :D

A pretty good investment (maybe a couple hundred for specialized equipment), and instead of making 5 gallon batches for $40, you can get it down to half of that.

My ingredient list has me using about $8 in grain, $5 in yeast, $4 in hops, and negligible cost for priming sugar when it comes time to bottle. Burn some propane, but again, that cost is minimal per each brew. Extract kits allow you to use your home stove cause less water is heated... like 2 gallons or so.

Doing all grain will have you putting a brew pot on the burner, trying to raise the temp to boiling, a kettle with maybe 6-7 gallons of water! No stove I can think of has enough oomph to get that much water to boil.

My neighbor, who brought me into homebrewing, says that I'm 'ate up with it'. Yes, I've jumped in headfirst and am on my 3rd batch of going solo. He's on a once-a-month brew schedule, and we do that monthly brew together, 10 gallons at a time.

Only piece of equipment I still need is a grain crusher. My neighbor has agreed to crush grain any time I ask him AND this new brew supply store has a crusher too. They'll crush your grain if you ask em:rockin:

I just inquired about hooking up with the local Katy area homebrewer's club via facebook... they're called Cane Island Alers on fb. I think they're having a monthly 'get-together' on Sunday May 27th, basically at the corner of Morton and Fry at a member's house. Check out their page on fb... I'm going to ask if I can come and bring some of my homebrew :ban:

That poster in this thread, #6 calebawilson, is part of this CIA group. Ha... my last name is wilson too!

Thanks for the comments and info!

I met both of the gentlemen you spoke of earlier and after doing some research I decidec that I will start purchasing equipment to homebrew! Like you I checked out the CIA and will look into joinin after I get a few batches under my belt.

Thanks for the comments and info!

I met both of the gentlemen you spoke of earlier and after doing some research I decidec that I will start purchasing equipment to homebrew! Like you I checked out the CIA and will look into joinin after I get a few batches under my belt.

You have no idea how much blood I can squeeze out of a turnip :mug: That is, I'm a cheap a** and I got EVERYTHING (except for the grain crusher) about as cheaply as possible! I also put together a list of every last item necessary to brew 'all grain'.

Are you even interested in starting the way I did? Doing extract kits? They usually taste awesome and, except for being twice the price per 5 gallons, there's nothing wrong with extract/kit brewing.

Wanna turn this thread into an inpromptu and informal exchange of info about how to do it affordably?

Why wait you can join now. We are not as organized as some of the bigger clubs in Houston if you don't have any homebrew to share bring a bottle of something interesting from the store to share. There are no dues and very friendly relaxed group of people. If you do want to attend bring a chair and something to drink out of. If you want your welcomed to bring some food. Also a perk of your a member you will get 10% off at THB

jestmaty said:
You have no idea how much blood I can squeeze out of a turnip :mug: That is, I'm a cheap a** and I got EVERYTHING (except for the grain crusher) about as cheaply as possible! I also put together a list of every last item necessary to brew 'all grain'.

Are you even interested in starting the way I did? Doing extract kits? They usually taste awesome and, except for being twice the price per 5 gallons, there's nothing wrong with extract/kit brewing.

Wanna turn this thread into an inpromptu and informal exchange of info about how to do it affordably?

Actually I'm interested in starting off all grain. Also its ptobably better if we conitnue this in the beginners section or something since its not my thread or on topic. I have a post in the beginners section labeled first batch...its gonna be a kolsch. We can use that one or start another.

calebawilson said:
Why wait you can join now. We are not as organized as some of the bigger clubs in Houston if you don't have any homebrew to share bring a bottle of something interesting from the store to share. There are no dues and very friendly relaxed group of people. If you do want to attend bring a chair and something to drink out of. If you want your welcomed to bring some food. Also a perk of your a member you will get 10% off at THB

Awesome! I'll look y'all up on FB and request to join. I do have some homemade wine I could bring if that works? If not i'll pick up some St. Arnolds or something.

Just checked y'all out on FB and requested to join. Also I noticed the next event is on the 27th but unfortunately I will be out of town that saturday and sunday...

KS

Back