Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A client invited us to his house after work, and we said we would bring the beer. He said he likes IPA. When we arrive at the beer store, we see a lady walking out with a case that says IPA on it. Once inside, my coworker and I are browsing, and I say, "How about this one, it's IPA." He says, "No, it can't be IPA because it doesn't look like the one the lady was carrying." He didn't know IPA was a style; he thought it was the name of some brewery's beer!

Okay, this was a few years ago, but it wasn't my coworker who made the blunder -- it was me. We can learn.

One of my sons friends wanted a taste of my blonde ale and made the comment "it's got that beer flavor..."

Lol! His is an uneducated/inexperienced palate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get the ol "{random beer style here}, oh that means it's a high percent right?" A lot. Seems like a lot of people think that's the one defining feature of an IPA.

One of my sons friends wanted a taste of my blonde ale and made the comment "it's got that beer flavor..."

You should have said, "Thank you, that really was the goal." :D

I was buying some cheap beer the other day (Warsteiner Dunkel), and the man behind me makes a judgmental noise and says: "Ugh, Warsteiner, that stuff sucks!"

I turn around and notice that he is holding a 30-rack of Busch Light, so I reply: "You're buying a 30-rack of Busch. You're not allowed to talk."

You should have said, "Thank you, that really was the goal." :D

think I would have said, "crap... not what I was shooting for."

then again, I'm a raging a-hole.

I was buying some cheap beer the other day (Warsteiner Dunkel), and the man behind me makes a judgmental noise and says: "Ugh, Warsteiner, that stuff sucks!"

I turn around and notice that he is holding a 30-rack of Busch Light, so I reply: "You're buying a 30-rack of Busch. You're not allowed to talk."

I probably would have told him of my aspirations to someday have his delightfully refined and discerning palate.

Reminds me of the time we were in Canada with Ford on a fact finding tour. We went to the Beef Baron II, not knowing it was a classic burlesque show bar/restaurant. They had a whole cow leg roasted up in a warmer! Anyway, Molson was 3.18 Canadian per bottle, & only 1 1/4 miles from the brewery. WTF?

London? That brings back memories of my stag!

Back to beer, try $13 for a six pack. That's a joke.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?type=beer&country=canada

Did I miss something about London? I've paid $11 for a 4-pack. Good beer though. Not BMC.

While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

Couldn't that just be another way to say "No sex in the tap room"?

Yesterday, I gave my father-in-law a pint of my new ESB. I personally think this is one of the two best beers I've brewed. It turned out excellent. Anyway, he takes a sip. When I look again, and he's doing his best to chug it away with, no ****, a bitter beer face. He could have been in a commercial. So, my mother-in-law takes a sip, and then she does her best bitter beer face! Of course, she follows that up with, "Goombah (my wife's, sister's boyfriend) brewed a beer once, and it turned out pretty good."

Awesome. This schmuck brewed a beer out of a kit, and now all I'm going to hear for the rest of my life is how Goombah brews such good beer. Much better than 'ol Barley Bob's.

So my father-in-law says, "I like a good pils... or a honey wheat... or Leinenkugel's berry-weisse." :smack: I guess I should have given them a glass of raspberry syrup.

Disclosure: Okay, you got me his name isn't Goombah. That's just my opinion of the guy.

This is Goombah

021 cropt.jpg

I brew in the morning and chat with the guys running for the trash truck on the regular... Every time he comes by he asks if I'm still making that 'hooch'. Lol. But from him, it's a good thing I think.

....Of course, she follows that up with, "Goombah (my wife's, sister's boyfriend) brewed a beer once, and it turned out pretty good."

Awesome. This schmuck brewed a beer out of a kit, and now all I'm going to hear for the rest of my life is how Goombah brews such good beer. Much better than 'ol Barley Bob's.

Dear Barley Bob (more like Barely Bob),

You will never be as good as Goombah. You're half the man he is, and his beer is world class.

Sincerely,

Your Growing Sense of Self-Doubt

:D

When I was a boy I used to go with my grampa to take truck loads of logs to the mill. Once we were at a weigh scale and my grampa noticed that the regular guy was not there. He asked where "Quincy" was and the guy said he was down checkin the rabbit snares.
My grampa bit and said he didn't know Quincy was a trapper.
"Yup he sure is . Replies the guy. " He sells them to Molson Canadian"
"Oh really" says my grampa "why does Molson need rabbits?"

"That's how they get the hops in their beer" he replies.

My grampa and I still laugh about that to this day.

I don't drink cider, so honest question; what are different types of apple/hard cider?

I suppose it's the kind of apple the cider was made from. Maybe not the best example, but angry orchard has a Granny Smith and a couple other types. I'm not big into ciders either. The one I tried to make turned out horrible.

Unless you're a student like me, then its much less :p But yes brewing your own helps.

I find it funny I can go down to the bottleo and grab a 6pack of PBR for $12, yet Coopers Pale Ale 6pack is like $15 ... and I live 30mins from the brewery :cross:

Least PBR tastes better than the other beers round that price.

PBR for $12 a sixer?!?!?!
Here in Texas, PBR Tallboys (16oz.) in six packs are only $7.50. But I still wont buy it... gross!:confused:

I don't drink cider, so honest question; what are different types of apple/hard cider?

Well there are different kinds, like pear or cherry or whatever. Name a fruit and someone has made a cider out of it. But they are still (most likely) apple based.....cause you know...that's what cider IS.

Sociable is a local cidery and have a few different ciders. I've never asked "what beer is that" and had the response "I think its barley." So when I got her response I couldn't help but find it funny. I didn't inform her that thats what ciders are I just let her go back and figure it out.

PBR for $12 a sixer?!?!?!

Here in Texas, PBR Tallboys (16oz.) in six packs are only $7.50. But I still wont buy it... gross!:confused:

Those are just south of $6 in KY, and as such make a good cheap light beer if you find yourself in the mood. I tried a regular Budweiser a few weeks back to see if my tastes were still the same. Yep, not very good at all. PBR and Coors banquet are the only two light beers I can stand. Good for yard work.

I'm not exactly well versed in it, but English ciders tend to be drier, where most of the US-produced ciders are backsweetened. You also have sparkling cider vs 'still' cider. And, of course, the varieties in apples. Pick up a sampler pack of Woodchuck sometime.

I've noticed Giant Eagle carries a lot more brands of ciders these days. Lots of them advertising on cable TV seems to be the reason. Might be a good place to try some different ones?:mug:

I've noticed Giant Eagle carries a lot more brands of ciders these days. Lots of them advertising on cable TV seems to be the reason. Might be a good place to try some different ones?:mug:

There's a real cider renaissance going on. Some really good ones are Vander Mill (sweeter, sometimes with spices and other flavors) and Virtue (typically very dry). Crispin is OK in my opinion, but some don't like it. It tends to be quite sweet. Angry Orchard is not worth your time, as far as I'm concerned. It's boring. But it also seems to be easiest to find of the new cider brands.

I've got two for you. First I saw this truck outside Great Divide Brewing Company and thought it was pretty cool:
beertruck_smallsize-63800.jpg

Secondly, most of the breweries that we went to or saw in the Denver area looked just like small brewpubs or bars from the outside. They might have a neon sign or some awning with the name printed on it. Even the Sandlot Brewery was just a hole in the wall place tucked beside Coors Field. It was pretty cool to see all of them nestled into a major city area. We were walking past a bar that had a big neon Coors sign in the window and she pointed at it saying "Do you want to go visit the Coors brewery? It's right over there." :p

Back