Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be a fair statement.... A DIPA should have a nice malt backbone and be more balanced than an IPA with less perceived bitterness....

But that wouldn't be "too hoppy." It could be too bitter or not malty enough but I could never complain that a IIPA was too hoppy. :)

That could be a fair statement.... A DIPA should have a nice malt backbone and be more balanced than an IPA with less perceived bitterness....

I think the problem from my perspective, is that any criticism is judged on validity based on the knowledge someone has of what they are testing. If I've only ever had commercial lager, then almost any craft beer is going to be "too hoppy" or "too malty".

I was just told that my 3% dark mild was too strong. That stuff isn't even strong compared to chocolate milk.

From the responses I sometimes get in the beer aisle at Walmart, it seems some buy BMC's because it's "safer" than trying something they might not like. I guess some folks just aren't open to the experience?...

From the responses I sometimes get in the beer aisle at Walmart, it seems some buy BMC's because it's "safer" than trying something they might not like. I guess some folks just aren't open to the experience?...

Yeah I think it's that and the fact that they don't want to waste money on something they may like.

Yeah I think it's that and the fact that they don't want to waste money on something they may like.

That is exactly what my wife is like when out at a restaurant. We don't get to go out much (usually only for birthdays) so when it is her choice she will go to the place she likes and order what she likes... unfortunately the place she likes closed down, but fortunately a new Mexican place had opened up. We went there she order her usual and it just alright (it wasn't bad just not like the last place serve it). Next time We went there she "had" to try something new (chicken burrito) and loved it - and was kind of kicking herself for not trying one sooner.
So I agree that is how most people are - they don't want to waste money on something the may not like, and will only give it a chance if they have to - unfortunately for beer this usually means only when it is free and there is not BMC to be had :D

I guess I'm the same way. I'll generally pick up a sixer or two of something "safe" and maybe a bomber or a mix it yourself sixpack of "new" beer. That way if the new stuff sux I can console myself with comfort beer.

I'll jump in head first on stuff I've never had (unless I know it has mushrooms in it). yeast doesn't count. huge difference between single cellular and multi-cellular.

I'll jump in head first on stuff I've never had (unless I know it has mushrooms in it). yeast doesn't count. huge difference between single cellular and multi-cellular.

Same here. I'm on the pretty extreme polar opposite from the BMC drinker who won't drink anything but BMC. My personal goal in the past was to have drank every single beer in the liquor store (i.e. brand and product) at least once. I would oftentimes buy as may as 10 different kinds/brands of beers I had never had before in a single stop. I think there were a few times I accomplished that for certain liquor stores, but I think it would be approaching impossible if I tried that for one of the huge liquor stores or beer specialty shops with several aisles of beer.

However! This habit has backfired several times where I have had unbelievably gaggingly bad beer. Ha ha. Luckily those times I usually only bought 1 can or bottle of the horrible beer, so I didn't feel bad about throwing some of it away.

Same here. I'm on the pretty extreme polar opposite from the BMC drinker who won't drink anything but BMC. My personal goal in the past was to have drank every single beer in the liquor store (i.e. brand and product) at least once. I would oftentimes buy as may as 10 different kinds/brands of beers I had never had before in a single stop. I think there were a few times I accomplished that for certain liquor stores, but I think it would be approaching impossible if I tried that for one of the huge liquor stores or beer specialty shops with several aisles of beer.

However! This habit has backfired several times where I have had unbelievably gaggingly bad beer. Ha ha. Luckily those times I usually only bought 1 can or bottle of the horrible beer, so I didn't feel bad about throwing some of it away.
I used to love Lee's Discount Liquors in Las Vegas. now I miss the hell out of it. the only saving grace at our liquor store is Green Flash & limited Surly. both fairly recent.

So, I guess you won't be coming over to help me drink this.... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410144272.993013.jpg

That is exactly what my wife is like when out at a restaurant. We don't get to go out much (usually only for birthdays) so when it is her choice she will go to the place she likes and order what she likes... unfortunately the place she likes closed down, but fortunately a new Mexican place had opened up. We went there she order her usual and it just alright (it wasn't bad just not like the last place serve it). Next time We went there she "had" to try something new (chicken burrito) and loved it - and was kind of kicking herself for not trying one sooner.

So I agree that is how most people are - they don't want to waste money on something the may not like, and will only give it a chance if they have to - unfortunately for beer this usually means only when it is free and there is not BMC to be had :D

My wife is the same way and I am the exact opposite. I will only order a beer in a restaurant if it is one I've never had before. I need SOME reason to blow $6/pint.

I was just told that my 3% dark mild was too strong. That stuff isn't even strong compared to chocolate milk.

I often think about adding a little brown food coloring to a Bud Light and passing it around to see what kind of replies I get about it being 'too dark', 'too strong' or 'too heavy'. :smack:

I was at the Cubs game today with seats in the Budweiser Patio which gives the patio seat holders all the food and beer you want free as part of your tickets (guess what two beers they serve). I went up got my food from the vendor and asked for a beer.

Me: and a Bud as well.

Vendor: Which one, the light or the heavy?

Me: ...um...heavy?

Is the funny part that you are actually drinking Budweiser?

^v^

Funny things (to an Australian) heard about beer.

I need SOME reason to blow $6/pint.

That's a dream! Even during the cheapest of the happiest happy hours of the worst macros may we see something around those prices.

Pints of craft for under $10 just don't happen.

I paid $17 for a pint of Brew Dog's IPA Is Dead (Amarillo) the other day. That is an import and a decent abv%, but I wish I could find something drinkable for $6 a pint!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much is bread, milk, and gas? How much do you make a year? All relative. Hopefully they aren't all on the wrong side of the scale. :(

Funny things (to an Australian) heard about beer.

That's a dream! Even during the cheapest of the happiest happy hours of the worst macros may we see something around those prices.

Pints of craft for under $10 just don't happen.

I paid $17 for a pint of Brew Dog's IPA Is Dead (Amarillo) the other day. That is an import and a decent abv%, but I wish I could find something drinkable for $6 a pint!

WTF?! That is insane… I had to check the exchange rate, thinking there would be a huge difference, but actually pretty close… how the hell does that happen? Is the alcohol tax crazy high or something?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410222404.316620.jpg
SA octoberfest, earlier hb kolsch and a couple left hand milk stout

Sorry wrong thread... Guess that's kinda funny

It was odd to me when I went to Giant Eagle last week & found these, but the 1L can of beer was missing;

So I filled it with SA Oktoberfest;

Funny to me to fill a real Oktoberfest mug with an American knock-off...but that sucker must weight a couple pounds full! I don't know how those girls carry so many at one time?...

That 1l can of Oktoberfest seemed to have been the best I've ever had. Any explanation for that? The bottles aren't that great. Good but not great ya know.

Giant Eagle had a stack of cut-open boxes of these with all the cans mia? Never got to try the Oktoberfest Wiesn. But the Paulaner hefe is pretty good. Definitely has the floral thing going, sorta tasting like wildflowers to me. I like that, personally.

A while back I was out in CA with my folks and GF. We were out in Sonoma for wine tastings and I very narrowly managed to convince them to go to Russian River's pub.

My mother gets a "double sour" apple martini any time she's out to dinner. RR doesn't do apple martinis and she doesn't do beer. But I ordered the full beer flight and the two of us were able to finish the sour beer half for the rest of the group. :D My mom drinks Consecration :rockin:, but says it tastes like her apple martinis :cross:

Drunk history
I'm totally nose greasing this beer, I can't deal with this foamImageUploadedByHome Brew1410314923.871406.jpg
... There's always grease on your face

Back