Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder if most people that pledge around the hundreds of dollars mark where the reqard is dependant on the project succeeding realise that they don't get their money back if it goes belly up.

There are plenty of warnings saying essentially that when you sign up and pledge money to anything.

If the project doesn't reach it's funding goal, you get your money back. If it does, there is still no guarantee of any kind of return. Hell, some projects don't even really offer much of a reward, other than the satisfaction of seeing the project succeed.

I have participated in 2 kickstarter projects so far, both went fine with no trickery or failure to deliver by the project organizers.

But I think some of you are missing the point of kickstarter. You are not "investing" in anything or expecting a share of profits. You are helping to make a project you are interested in succeed. Often you are incentivized to help in the form of essentially being eligible for preorders, project related swag, and other tangential benefits. whether or not you are in it for the preorder aspect or just to help the project succeed, you know the risks going in. Unless you are a moron and don't read what you are signing up for, in which case you get what you deserve.

In spite of what you might expect, it seems that failed projects and scams are the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And now back to our regular programming:
I went to a BBQ on Friday, brought only a few homebrews: and Amber, an Irish Red and a Belgian Strong. Most of the guys liked them, but one told me: "You need to make something lighter."
I do have a Blonde conditioning right now.
Sorry, it's not that funny. But I didn't get a dime from Kickstarter to brew them!

What the fuK!!!!!!! is this serious?

Its up to 38.9k

WTF is wrong with people.

brb going to make a kickstarter for Macaroni salad.

Have you ever bought a lottery ticket? It's only a dollar! You have a much better chance on seeing a return on your investment with kickstarter than you do with the lottery. :rockin:

That is always something that bothered me about Kickstarter - what happens when the project the reaches its funding goal and takes all the cash in eventually fails and does not deliver on the promised products? I have a feeling it must be in there somewhere that the backer takes on the risk that they will get nothing if it all goes belly up - but I wouldn't want to be that guy $10k in and waiting for my promised brewday in a new brewpub which never happens

If you are "$10K in" to anything, you should have some say in executing the plan. If you're investing $10K because you get some "prize," but have no input in the business, then you probably deserve whatever risk is associated with that kind of blind investment.

Kickstarter doesn't facilitate investments with traditional dividends and returns. It facilitates investments in something people "support" or "believe in," and the return is some swag and lots of street cred. If you're paying $10K for street cred, it's not enough. If you're paying $10-100 for street cred, it's probably enough.

On the other hand, $10K is chump change to some people. Those people probably need to buy their street cred.

If you are "$10K in" to anything, you should have some say in executing the plan. If you're investing $10K because you get some "prize," but have no input in the business, then you probably deserve whatever risk is associated with that kind of blind investment.

Kickstarter doesn't facilitate investments with traditional dividends and returns. It facilitates investments in something people "support" or "believe in," and the return is some swag and lots of street cred. If you're paying $10K for street cred, it's not enough. If you're paying $10-100 for street cred, it's probably enough.

On the other hand, $10K is chump change to some people. Those people probably need to buy their street cred.

Yes, I'm quoting myself.

If you give this guy $35, you get a limited edition t-shirt. You'd pay that much for a t-shirt at a show or amusement park. PLUS you get a bite of the potato salad! Friends, this is a good deal.

beer menu, Mellow Mushroom, Herndon, VA

mm beer menu.jpg

I had around 5 people over the house the other weekend, and I was showing them around the keezer. I had a pale ale that was made with Citra and Magnum and dry hopped with El Dorado, and one of the guests asked about it. Since she mostly drinks BMC, I told her she might find it a little overwhelming because of the amount of hops I used. She replied "Wow so this one must get you really drunk then." and apparently thought hops give beer their alcohol content.

I didn't even have to get snobby as all the other guests I had previously converted to craft jumped in and corrected her. Apparently I've taught them well.
:D

I had around 5 people over the house the other weekend, and I was showing them around the keezer. I had a pale ale that was made with Citra and Magnum and dry hopped with El Dorado, and one of the guests asked about it. Since she mostly drinks BMC, I told her she might find it a little overwhelming because of the amount of hops I used. She replied "Wow so this one must get you really drunk then." and apparently thought hops give beer their alcohol content.

I didn't even have to get snobby as all the other guests I had previously converted to craft jumped in and corrected her. Apparently I've taught them well.

:D

I had a similar situation happen last week. My girlfriends best friend was in town and she is from KC. She has really gotten into craft beer and drinks the hell out of some boulevard. My girlfriend was telling her about the process and showed her my grain storage room (aka guest bedroom). The best friend then had to call me in and ask what i used the grain for since beer is just made with hops. :smack:

Nearly every BMC drinker I know thought that hops a) add alcohol, b) make it darker, or c) all of the above.

I think back to all the BMC commercials I have seen and I still can't figure out where this conclusion came from.

i lol'd. I need to check them out. Hows the food there?

not a big fan.

last night, I had the smallest wings in the world.

previously, I had to get through roughly half of my calzone before I encountered anything other than the dough.

speaking of dough, it's all whole wheat

haven't tried the salads or sammiches yet. and they don't have burgers.

I'm trying to get the brew club to hold meetings elsewhere.

I served a pretty good selection of home brew along with some Skeeter Pee and a cyser that I had around at my annual 4th chicken BBQ. Several of my guests (mostly BMC'ers) indulged in at least a few different selections. Then, of course, began to comment on them. :) Several liked my attempt at BierMunchers Centennial Blonde (4%) , a few really liked the cyser (10%) but all, unanimously decided that they should stick to drinking the Skeeter Pee (12%), because they didn't want to get too loaded too quickly! :D

I never said a word, I just smiled. Then, my sisters new boyfriend, who I had never met before, spoke up and told everyone that he believed that if the goal was truly to stay semi-sober, then everyone should stick with my Blonde! He then went on to list off my entire selection in ascending order of ABV. I think I like him! Turns out he is quite the craft beer fan.

I even had one of my neighbors trying to sell everyone on how good Old Milwaukee Light is. "It has even won a ton of awards and stuff!" she insisted. LoL That stuff is more like Miller Light flavored water. ;)

Nearly every BMC drinker I know thought that hops a) add alcohol, b) make it darker, or c) all of the above.

I think back to all the BMC commercials I have seen and I still can't figure out where this conclusion came from.

With some of the IIIIIIIIIIIIPA advertising / slogans I could forgive BMCers from thinking beer is made from hops alone :D

I have a buddy who lives in Iowa and for the longest time he would get his Coors light across the state line in Nebraska. Apparently he thought that because of some state law, the beer bought in Nebraska had 6% abv instead of 4%

not a big fan.

last night, I had the smallest wings in the world.

previously, I had to get through roughly half of my calzone before I encountered anything other than the dough.

speaking of dough, it's all whole wheat

haven't tried the salads or sammiches yet. and they don't have burgers.

I'm trying to get the brew club to hold meetings elsewhere.

I guess ill have to pass then. Thanks for the info.

I can understand the association of hops with alcohol content for the uneducated...most hoppy beers are higher in alcohol when compared to your light lagers and such.

I guess ill have to pass then. Thanks for the info.

some of the other guys in the club like the food. I'm just picky about my pizza.

you should come check out the Wort Hogs. meet the 2nd Wednesday of every month, competitions 10 months out of the year.

August meeting is a non-competition one, meeting at either Lost Rhino or Old Ox, haven't decided.

you are more than welcome to come hang with us.

I have a buddy who lives in Iowa and for the longest time he would get his Coors light across the state line in Nebraska. Apparently he thought that because of some state law, the beer bought in Nebraska had 6% abv instead of 4%

I go a little bit nuts and post corrections on articles posted online by my local paper.

Utah law limits sale of any beer in regular retail outlets (grocery stores and gas stations) to 3.2%ABW. That's the way the law is written, by ABW not ABV.

So, the problem I have is that people compare our "3.2" beer to the Bud Light they buy across the Wyoming border and think they're getting "real beer" because they assume the alcohol content is much much higher. Turns out, using ABW, that full strength Bud Light is 3.36%ABW. Sucker drove more than an hour for the priveledge of 0.16% more alcohol by weight.

But to be fair, most buy Budweiser and Corona. Budweiser is 5%ABV (or 4%ABW) Corona is 4.6%ABV (or 3.68%ABW).

If I'm not drinking my own beer I'll either just live with 4%abv beer from the grocery store or buy craft beer at the state run liquor store. Screw driving two hours for 1% more alcohol in some mass produced crap beer.

There is a similar 3.2% law here in Kansas. I've always been told it was by volume but honestly never cared enough to check, as none of the groceries stores have much selection and all the 3.2 beer I have had just tastes off. And the liquor stores are quite prevalent. They just have to close at 9 pm and on Sundays( but that ones only city ordnance).

Utah law limits sale of any beer in regular retail outlets (grocery stores and gas stations) to 3.2%ABW. That's the way the law is written, by ABW not ABV.

So, the problem I have is that people compare our "3.2" beer to the Bud Light they buy across the Wyoming border and think they're getting "real beer" because they assume the alcohol content is much much higher. Turns out, using ABW, that full strength Bud Light is 3.36%ABW. Sucker drove more than an hour for the priveledge of 0.16% more alcohol by weight.

We had the same deal in Oklahoma back when I went to school there.

A lot of bros would drive down to North Texas (about a 3+ hour drive round trip) to get "the strong beer they sell down in Texas". And of course they come back with Keystone Lite or Natty Lite or whatever, and of course the difference in ABV was actually pretty negligible because they didn't understand the difference between ABV and ABW.

The stupidest part of all that was that the 3.2%ABW law only applied to beers that were sold cold and in grocery stores/convenience stores/etc. You could go to any liquor store and buy full-strength beer. It cost a little more and you had to buy it "warm", but I always bought my beer from the liquor store anyway because that was the only place you could get craft beer that wasn't Boulevard Wheat.

Beer laws in Iowa have changed drastically in the last 5 or 10 years. He was probably right at one point in time.

Though I'd argue if his goal was to get drunk, he could buy grain alcohol in Iowa . . . :fro:

There is a similar 3.2% law here in Kansas. I've always been told it was by volume but honestly never cared enough to check, as none of the groceries stores have much selection and all the 3.2 beer I have had just tastes off. And the liquor stores are quite prevalent. They just have to close at 9 pm and on Sundays( but that ones only city ordnance).

After my grandmother's funeral in Kansas, my uncles drove to Nebraska on Sunday just to get Milwaukee's best.

This isn't one I overheard but one that actually escaped my mouth.

At the time I was relatively new to beer and hadn't had much outside of the realm of the BMC group. My buddy came into town and we decided to go Flying Saucer to grab a beer. This was my first time there and needless to say I was overwhelmed by the various selections. Determined to try something new, I eye one of the taps from the wall and signal the bartender. She makes her way over to me with a smile on her face and asks what I would like. My response to her was that I would like the "ih-puh" (IPA). The smile fades from her face and turns into a look of confusion. She turns around and fills my glass with the nearest IPA. I grab my beer and return to my buddy who is doubled over on the bar laughing at me.

My friends still won't let me live it down.

Thankfully Wichita did away with that one, so now I'm free to buy beer whenever (almost) that I want.

I spoke to a friend yesterday that was down in Valdez fishing. He was telling me about the bar tender kicking everyone out at 5:00, I thought was a bit early, but then he mentioned that it was 5 AM. Laws up here are a bit more relaxed.

We had the same deal in Oklahoma back when I went to school there.

A lot of bros would drive down to North Texas (about a 3+ hour drive round trip) to get "the strong beer they sell down in Texas". And of course they come back with Keystone Lite or Natty Lite or whatever, and of course the difference in ABV was actually pretty negligible because they didn't understand the difference between ABV and ABW.

The stupidest part of all that was that the 3.2%ABW law only applied to beers that were sold cold and in grocery stores/convenience stores/etc. You could go to any liquor store and buy full-strength beer. It cost a little more and you had to buy it "warm", but I always bought my beer from the liquor store anyway because that was the only place you could get craft beer that wasn't Boulevard Wheat.

This morning I was in the changing room at work getting ready for my shift and one guy is telling another guy that the way to go to sleep (we're all on the night shift, 6pm-6am) is to slam a couple beers.

Know it all: "Yeah, bro, all you got to do is slam a couple beers. It's a great muscle relaxer."
Southern Transplant: "Knaw I can't do it. I can't just have a couple beers."
KIA: "It works dude, I'm telling you."
ST: "But if i'm gonna have a couple beers I'm gonna drink a case...or two."
KIA: "Ahh, well..."
ST: "I mean this is Utah beer, can't even get drunk off it."
KIA: "Yeah, that's true. What is it where you're from, like 6%?"
ST: "Like 6.5%"
KIA: "Nice!"
ST: "Yeah, that's the good stuff."

I'm sitting between them holding my tongue.

You have more gumption than me my friend. I would have set them straight. I know some counties in some states have the 3.2 law but these beer accusations are completely ridiculous

I was once having a drink with a Heineken intern. I asked him for his favorite style of beer and he asked me what I meant. I clarified and said, "You know, stouts, IPAs, Belgians..." to which he replied, "What's a stout?"

Back