Funnel/filter problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisnom

Reaction score
Hey team,

I recently bought a glass carboy to upgrade from my plastic fermentation bucket, and I bought a funnel with a built-in filter. I made a strong IPA recently, however even though I was careful when pouring the wort into the funnel, the filter immediately got clogged and it was a harrowing 20 minute procedure to continually scoop the trub off the filter (way too much O2 exposure).

What are people using to filter out trub before funneling into the carboy? Or do you just put everything in there and then be careful when racking to secondary to avoid bringing along the sediment?

Hey team,

I recently bought a glass carboy to upgrade from my plastic fermentation bucket, and I bought a funnel with a built-in filter. I made a strong IPA recently, however even though I was careful when pouring the wort into the funnel, the filter immediately got clogged and it was a harrowing 20 minute procedure to continually scoop the trub off the filter (way too much O2 exposure).

What are people using to filter out trub before funneling into the carboy? Or do you just put everything in there and then be careful when racking to secondary to avoid bringing along the sediment?

I pour through a grain bag that rests in the same type of funnel you are using. It is a two person job, wife helps hold funnel and bag. I had a jig built to hold the bag, but due to poor construction didn't last long.

Bag works best if it is sown with a taper. As the bottom of the bag plugs, the wort just drains through further up.

(way too much O2 exposure).

If this is the transfer from the boil kettle (BK) to the fermenter you do not need to worry about too much O2 exposure. Oxygen is needed for proper yeast health during primary fermentation. Oxidation is a concern when transferring from primary to secondary fermentation vessel.

I use a bucket for primary and a large strainer for trub filtering. I don't have any personal experience on transferring from BK to carboy.
:goat:

Been using the filter funnels for years, we just tap on the side when it gets clogged up and it starts flowing again. Typically I attach it to the side of the brew buckets we use with a spring clamp and let it go, then when it clogs (typically only on hoppy beers) tap it a few times and it clears it up. If you are just popping it into the top of a carboy pressure might build up in the carboy and stop the flow, which also happens if the bottom of the funnel gets submerged. When that happens lift it up and tap the sides a few times and you should get going again.

Latest posts

Back