Bazooka Filter and Brew in a Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanaHomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a 10 gallon kettle for brew in a bag with a bazooka filter attached to the ball valve inside the kettle. This does a great job of keeping trub out of my fermenter, but recently it has been clogging when my wort gets down to about 2 gallons left. I usually have to brush of the trub that sticks to it with my spatula, and then lift the kettle a little higher to get it flowing again, which really just leads to a workout I didn't sign up for. I usually mill my grain twice because it seems to increase efficiency in BIAB.

Are there any alternatives to the bazooka filter that I can explore? Or should I just stop double milling?

I've always double milled on this system. I recently bought a false bottom and used it on my most recent brew, a witbier with over 60% flaked wheat, and it didn't clog as much, but I still had to lift the kettle pretty high when I got down to the last 2 gal or so

I've always double milled on this system. I recently bought a false bottom and used it on my most recent brew, a witbier with over 60% flaked wheat, and it didn't clog as much, but I still had to lift the kettle pretty high when I got down to the last 2 gal or so
Can you explain what you mean by lifting the kettle? I can't quite picture what's going on. Is that a BIAB thing?

Not a BIAB thing. Basically, as I drain wort into the fermenter using my ball valve and tubing, when the kettle gets down to about 2 gallons left, wort stops flowing out of the valve until I use my spatula to scrape trub off the bazooka filter. After I clear it, it will run a little, then stop again until I actually lift the pot above my head to get it flowing out of the ball valve again. It's almost like my kettle needs to be higher above my fermenter, but I haven't had that problem until recently with the bazooka filter getting clogged

Well, as your kettle wort level decreases and your fermenter wort level increases, you'll have less and less siphoning "force" pulling the wort/trub through the bazooka screen. I'm not sure how to fix that other than lifting the kettle (or lowering the fermenter).

Latest posts

Back