Funk in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixittim

Reaction score
I can't decide if my bottles have a lot of yeast that swirls or if it is slimy like I have read about an infection being. I used some biscuit, munich and DME. 8 days in primary. 8 days in secondary. All looked, tasted and smelled good. OG 1.05 held SG 1.01 at transfer and 1.008 at bottling. The biscuit malt was new for me and I may just have an odd trub that made it to the bottle. Any thoughts. I know it needs another week to condition but I am worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's likely just yeast dropping out after carbing. At warmer temps, the yeast trub tends to be fluffy.

Leave those bottles alone at least three weeks at 70-75*F to fully carb/condition then put some in the fridge for at least three days (to settle out the yeast).

Thanks. Just needed to hear some encouragement.

It's yeast. My last IPA took a week in the fridge before it all settled to the bottom. Even a slight disterbance would make it swirl a bit at the bottom

Opened that batch tonight after 5 days in the fridge. Had to pour short but it was good. Still don't understand how I got that much trub/yeast in the bottle.

Back