Fumes from StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2539

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope this isn't a dumb question. I have a Rubbermaid storage container that I use to stash most of my brewing gear. At some point in the last year or so (been away from making beer for a while) my StarSan has leaked inside of the container. It looks like it has dissolved some of the steel handles of cleaning bushes. It also appears that the Rubbermaid container has become broken down / discolored as well.

I am able to rinse everything off, but there is a strange chemical like odor that seems to be lingering on some of my brewing gear. Does anyone know if there would be any toxic fumes produced by the StarSan breaking down metals / plastics? Should I concerned about any of my gear being unsafe to use? I don't mind tossing any spare tubing that might have gone bad.

I'd ditch the tubing regardless. It's cheap and who knows what might be growing on the inside of it.

As for other pieces. If you wash well with PBW and rinse it super well, it's hard to imagine it would be a problem to use.

Back