Full Hard Lemonade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will keep that in mind. I think my next batch is going to be a hard root beer in a couple of weeks. I can probably do another batch of this around the same time. My problem is I do not have enough kegs. The four I have are all in use now.

I will keep that in mind. I think my next batch is going to be a hard root beer in a couple of weeks. I can probably do another batch of this around the same time. My problem is I do not have enough kegs. The four I have are all in use now.

Would love to see your recipe if it works out. Yeah, bought a spare keg myself. Actually enjoy the limeaide version better if no fruit added.

View attachment 1474849690898.jpg

Starting this with out the malt. Keeping it gluten free.

Added two more cans concentrate and 4 lbs sugar. Gave me an gravity of 1.06 using Minute Maid lemonade.

Will report back when completed!

Anyone try adding either to primary or secondary some real lemon juice or lemon Rind (without the white pith)?

Perhaps boiling some lemon and then dissolving the sugars ect before adding to primary?

So I did a 1 gallon test batch of this and it came out fantastic. I used 2 cans of lemonade in primary for my test batch (I rounded up from 1.6 cans). If I scale up to 6 gallons, I should use 12 cans in primary. Just wondering if anyone has tried adjusting the cans of frozen lemonade and what effect that had, particularly with the acidity. Has anyone tried comparing 10 vs 12 cans of lemonade concentrate in primary and how much of a flavor impact it might have?

Hi there! I started this recipe last night and am excited to see it come out. I wanted to ask some questions. These questions are coming from someone who has only ever made wine, nothing ever carbonated so you understand where I'm coming from:

1) What is the expected initial hydrometer reading? I got 1.6. Although my temperature may have been off. I did ncrease the corn sugar by 10% (extra 5 ounces) because I want super killer ABV to knock me on my butt.

2) From what I read, I am hesitant to bottle in regular recycled wine bottles. So I am looking at 2 growlers with screw tops and some beer bottles with bail cages. What is force carbonation? Are there any tricks to bottling? The corn sugar says to save as a priming sugar for bottling? Is there a good resource to help me bottle this cheaply and safely without blowing myself or a drinker up?

3) Really no aging necessary? Is that how it is with all beers? This is coming from someone who has to age stuff for months to a year.

4) In rehydrating the yeast, what is the vigourous activity I should see? I expected fizzing and bubbling, but I just got a large solid mass and maybe like 1-2 bubbles. That was last night, however, this morning I see the airlock has some pressure on it but it is not bubbling yet. I am hopeful it will kick off.

I know this is an older thread, but if anyone sees this and can reply, you would be a real help.

Thanks, Tony

TLDR - How do I bottle this?

See what I can do to assist..

1) it's 1.060. 1.6 would be lava but 1.060 is perfect. It'll dry out to 1.001 in 3 weeks so 7.5%.

2) These are different subject questions. First I just bottled a blueberry version, 10%. Just be sure to add plenty of Potassium Sorbate. Force carbing is racking to a keg, then bringing pressure to 35 or 40 psi and let sit for 24hrs or so before tapping. No tricks to bottle, just need a bottling bucket setup. I use regular sugar, but to back sweeten, not really to prime. If you cold crash for 24hrs, add potassium Sorbate and leave 1in or so from fermentor, you should be fine for bottling, no bottle bombs. I've learned the hard way myself. Growers should work fine as long as cold crash done and potassium sorbate used.

3) im drinking mine right out of bucket, 10% fruit breakfast!

Cheers!

View attachment 1491573312565.jpg

View attachment 1491573335809.jpg

What did you use for the blueberry flavor? Was thinking about something like that on the next batch, but blueberry juice is hard to come by

What did you use for the blueberry flavor? Was thinking about something like that on the next batch, but blueberry juice is hard to come by

Decide against after sampling, but should have added maybe 1oz (2.5gallons). BrewersBest extract is the bomb. Added for the BlackBerry and more sugar, it's awesome!

So I did a 1 gallon test batch of this and it came out fantastic. I used 2 cans of lemonade in primary for my test batch (I rounded up from 1.6 cans). If I scale up to 6 gallons, I should use 12 cans in primary. Just wondering if anyone has tried adjusting the cans of frozen lemonade and what effect that had, particularly with the acidity. Has anyone tried comparing 10 vs 12 cans of lemonade concentrate in primary and how much of a flavor impact it might have?

I've found that adding more concentrate simply ups the sugar content. Back sweetening is where you can adjust the flavor to what you want.

As far as acidity...make sure you proof the yeast with some concentrate added to get it used to the acidity. That seems to be the key. If you're concerned with acidity you can add some baking soda....3/4 teaspoon per gallon is what I have used.

I use 11 cans of concentrate for a 7 gallon batch and proof the yeast (no baking soda)...and acidity isn't an issue.

Cheers!

Interested in trying this! Pretty much figured out all the other ingredients and made sure I can get the specific yeast mentioned. Just one thing, I cannot find lemon juice concentrate anywhere so could someone possibly tell me how much would I need if I'd be using 100% lemon juice? And would I need to adjust the sugar leves if I do use that?

A few other questions, does this bottle condition? Meaning does it get any better or worse if I let it sit in the bottles. I've understood it doesn't get much carbonation. Another is assuming I can refrain from drinking it, how long will the bottled stuff last without going bad?

Hi there! Thanks for the answers about carbonation. I spent some time reading about 20 pages of this thread (didn;t get to all 54) but I seem to be having some trouble with this recipe. I used the correct yeast and did the starter mixture. I pitched it and seem to have done everything right. It has been 4 days and I can't see any fermentation. I do have the yeasty cap on top, twice I have stirred it down. I did see some pressure on my airlock but not enough to make it bubble. After three days I was still at 1.06 SG. Each time I stirred the mixture down all the pressure that had built went away and slowly climbed back. This is in a plastic fermentor bucket. I read some posts that pH might be too low. I don't have a meter, but I put in teaspoon of baking soda to see if that would change anything. Any thoughts on a procedure to get this going?

IMG_3757.jpg

Hi there! Thanks for the answers about carbonation. I spent some time reading about 20 pages of this thread (didn;t get to all 54) but I seem to be having some trouble with this recipe. I used the correct yeast and did the starter mixture. I pitched it and seem to have done everything right. It has been 4 days and I can't see any fermentation. I do have the yeasty cap on top, twice I have stirred it down. I did see some pressure on my airlock but not enough to make it bubble. After three days I was still at 1.06 SG. Each time I stirred the mixture down all the pressure that had built went away and slowly climbed back. This is in a plastic fermentor bucket. I read some posts that pH might be too low. I don't have a meter, but I put in teaspoon of baking soda to see if that would change anything. Any thoughts on a procedure to get this going?

1118 eats anything even at high temps. I've seen slow starting before, but at .99, i'd pitch another package. I've never added chemicals. I've used our high ph tap and ro water with same results. Buckets may not seal properly causing lack of airlock activity, but if no gravity change, i'd just pitch another.

Thanks! I came home to a fizzing bucket so all is well. I am guessing the bucket isn't sealed as suggested above. Does that mean that oxygen will mess up the fermentation?

Thanks! I came home to a fizzing bucket so all is well. I am guessing the bucket isn't sealed as suggested above. Does that mean that oxygen will mess up the fermentation?

Your bucket had positive pressure so i wouldn't be concerned about air getting in. With that said, oxygen is needed for fermentation and "contamination" is only an issue with the highly volatile hop oils.

Still waiting for the answer to my Q...

http://www.minutemaid.com/products/lemonade/lemonade/

Is this what you are using as the lemonade? So in essence that's basically sweetened 15% lemon juice? And by 12 cans do you mean like 12oz cans? Trying to find something close enough from here to use instead.

So going by that I'd be needing about four liters of the stuff. Just the thing that if you go to a store here and buy a bottle of lemon juice concentrate it is the fresh pressed kind unsweetened 100% stuff. Gonna have to hit the store to see what I could find.

use the frozen concentrate, not the cartons or premixed cans. I used the generic store brand which came out well.

The thing is, lemonade isn't a thing here so there's no such thing on sale as frozen lemonade concentrate. The only thing I found that said lemonade at all was this:

gm-lemonade-classic.jpg

It's pasteurised and doesn't contain any preservatives, but I don't really know how much should I need it if the recipe is calling for 12x12oz of concentrate. How much ready lemonade does a 12oz freeze block make?

Edit: to answer myself 8x8floz = 64oz = 1.89L

So 12x1.89 = almost 23 cartons. = about 100eur :D

Gotta rethink...

If using the cartons, then it would probably not add any water at all.
The other possibility would be to use actual lemon juice, but adjust the juice and sugar quantities. Looking at a few online recipes for lemonade seems to be equal parts lemon juice and sugar, 1 cup, to about 5 cups of water. If lemon juice is cheaper, I'd go that route.

Does anyone mind if I make a new thread about this using metric measures and making the lemonade from scratch? The OP hasn't logged in since october last year so I don't suppose he'll be answering me yes or no.

I'm not part of this thread, but I don't see why anyone would mind, that's why we're all here. Also, there's a current thread I am active in titled "overthinking"in this sub, regarding making something similar from lemon concentrate (not lemonade). Some of it might be relevant for you.

The thing is, lemonade isn't a thing here so there's no such thing on sale as frozen lemonade concentrate. The only thing I found that said lemonade at all was this:

gm-lemonade-classic.jpg

It's pasteurised and doesn't contain any preservatives, but I don't really know how much should I need it if the recipe is calling for 12x12oz of concentrate. How much ready lemonade does a 12oz freeze block make?

Edit: to answer myself 8x8floz = 64oz = 1.89L

So 12x1.89 = almost 23 cartons. = about 100eur :D

Gotta rethink...

You might want to check out this alternative if you want to use lemon juice.

http://skeeterpee.com/recipe

^ Seen that, not what I`m after.

So: in order to make equivalent amount (23L) of lemonade from 100% lemon juice I will be needing:

17,14L water

3,4L lemon juice = 7x500ml = 19,80EUR

3,4kg (4 packs) sugar 3-4EUR + 2 packs for the recipe 2EUR

LHBS took around 19,80 too so total: 45,60EUR. Yikes. Let`s say I`m racking 20L worth of 0,5L bottles they`re gonna be costing 2,30EUR a bottle. That`s not far from what a can of Garage Hard Lemonade will cost me at the store. Albeit this will be twice the volts.

Well, as they say, gotta try everything once ;) This better be good!

EDIT: FFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!! ALL lemon juices that are sold here have potassium metabisulfide!!! This might have to wait till autumn when I can get fresh pressed apple juice for a reasonable price...

EDIT: FFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!! ALL lemon juices that are sold here have potassium metabisulfide!!! This might have to wait till autumn when I can get fresh pressed apple juice for a reasonable price...

Try checking the organic section or stores?

Already did. MUCH cheaper to just go get three cases of the ready stuff. Like total cost in the ballpark of 130EUR. Anything "organic" or anything towards that direction is ludicrously expensive here where everything is expensive as is.

Not gonna forget this but will be waiting till autumn. Actually intriqued to find out how this will turn out from fresh apples. Got two trees in our own yard and we don't really eat the produce so might just as well turn them into cider/hard lemonade.

Really? Hmm then I have to re-rethink... well already bought a Coopers real ale tin which I will be brewing next but I'm still left with the champagne yeast and the other chemicals not needed in beer brewing so might still give this a go closer to the summer.

I made a batch this afternoon. For the wife, you know.

We start out thinking that way. Raspberry variant is nationally acclaimed by hop heads around the country with 5/5 rating. Be proud of the goodness you're about to produce...then wonder where "Mike's" went wrong, HA!

Going to make this next weekend, I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the 50+ pages, but is it ok to use RO water as is?

Hi there. Thanks for answering my questions previously. This recipe is turning out well. Some key points I learned from the replies were to increase the corn sugar level by 10% and also to use 1 tbsp of baking soda to adjust the pH. I couldn't get fermentation after three days until I added the baking soda but then it kicked in nicely.

Its almost done, and I've decided to go all in with a kegerator and a Cornelius keg rather than deal with exploding bottles as I am only set up to bottle wine.

I want to force carbonate, but this will be my first time ever. Can anyone give me some hints on a proper carbonation level for this recipe? Also any tips on the force carbonation process in general?

Much appreciated!

Back