Full Hard Lemonade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make one gallon of lemonade from scratch. that's your base. Based on this recipe 16 lemons 1 gallon of water and 2.6 cups of sugar

The OP recipe uses different kinds of sweetener though: DME, corn sugar, and then also regular sugar. Does that factor into the final taste?

Or, I guess what you mean, is that one adds those ingredients to the base you mentioned and then go from there.

Last edited:
you asked about lemonade from lemons. Factor in that this is = to 1 gallon from concentrate, that's the recipe what you do to it after is your business.

you asked about lemonade from lemons. Factor in that this is = to 1 gallon from concentrate, that's the recipe what you do to it after is your business.

Got it.

It's interesting that the bknifefight (OP) recipe calls for different kinds of sugar to be used. The DME makes sense because it provides nutrients to the yeast. I wonder why the distinction between corn sugar and regular cane sugar though? bnifefight's recipe calls for both. I guess they each impart a noticeably different taste maybe?

probably, they also ferment a little differently. IIRC cane sugar/sucrose gets broken down to simpler sugars and corn is fructose already.

I tasted some this morning, and, wow!, it's really quite unique. Not at all like adding vodka to regular lemonade, that's for sure. Infinitely better than ubiquitous M***'s **** Lemonade, which is pure swill by comparison (or, maybe even without the comparison). Up until know I had my doubts, but now I can say for sure that it's worth the effort. :ban:

I did read an interesting post though on a different thread where someone added the lemon juice at the very end, and reported that it did two very convenient things:
1. the sudden PH shift killed the yeast, and
2. it cleared up immediately.

I imagine it should allow the use of different yeasts too, since acid wouldn't be a concern during fermentation.

I'd be interested in trying to replicate that to see how that tastes.

Anyone else tried that? And, if so, how did the taste compare?

Last edited:
make one gallon of lemonade from scratch. that's your base. Based on this recipe 16 lemons 1 gallon of water and 2.6 cups of sugar

OK, I'll try this (but with the different sugars in the same proportion as what's in the OP recipe) and add the lemons at the very end to see if I can replicate the yeast killing/clearing that was reported by the other guy.

Last edited:
Closing the loop: I created a quick fermented wash using Hothead Kveik yeast and the same lemonade ingredients, pro-rated to the original OP formula, but without the lemon juice. At the end I added the lemon juice and put it in the refrigerator, and indeed it did appear to help clear it. Not sure whether it was the lemon juice or the refrigerator though. The result is not completely clear, but more like what you'd expect from lemonade. Indeed, the lemon pulp is a factor.

I'll be trying it again with Hornindal Kveik yeast, which tends to flocculate better. For better repeatability, I'll be switching to Minute Maid frozen lemon juice (not from concentrate, and no additives). It's widely available.

Last edited:
After a few days I sampled it with Hothead yeast at 1.038 SG (OG 1.106), with lemon juice, and it's completely drinkable as a Hard Lemonade but also nothing special. So, I'll continue to ferment it down to the target 1.016, although going forward the attenuation rate is much slower.

I think I'd like to try it made with honey too.

Last edited:
Final post: using Hornindal kveik yeast, I was able to achieve FG 1.016 in just two days. Voila.

Just made another batch of this. Letting it cool a little longer before pitching the yeast. Looking forward to it for the hot Texas summer!

I've made several batches of this - my favorite was made with 5 Alive.

Started a new batch tonight with the hopes of having a refreshing drink for a hot Atlanta Labor Day weekend. While writing down my notes, realized that I had used 1 LB of Lactose and not DME. I've since added the DME, but did I make a Milky Lemon Stout? Just how much body/milk does 1 LB of Lactose add to a 6 gallon batch?

Trying to decide if I need to start another batch by tomorrow so that I have something for Labor Day.

Tatmia, I think you are okay. It may have more body that what you are used to, but the extra sweetness of the lactos will just be like it was back sweetened. :mug:

I've made several batches of this - my favorite was made with 5 Alive.

Started a new batch tonight with the hopes of having a refreshing drink for a hot Atlanta Labor Day weekend. While writing down my notes, realized that I had used 1 LB of Lactose and not DME. I've since added the DME, but did I make a Milky Lemon Stout? Just how much body/milk does 1 LB of Lactose add to a 6 gallon batch?

Trying to decide if I need to start another batch by tomorrow so that I have something for Labor Day.
Unless you have Roasty malts you didn't make a stout. A Lemon bar maybe. If you just addded dme. Give it a few weeks and check gravity to ensure it completes.

I've made this several times. SO easy and SO tasty! My friends ask for it. And I've made it with lime aid too, which is very delicious.
I calculated the ABV at @ 9%, but it goes down easy. Careful with this one.

How did the no heat batches go Pianoman! Super curious.

Also thanks for the help with sugar information. Would one of you sage minds please help me calculate abv if only cans of concentrate were used. Thanks man.

How did the no heat batches go Pianoman! Super curious.

Also thanks for the help with sugar information. Would one of you sage minds please help me calculate abv if only cans of concentrate were used. Thanks man.
Haha...different thread but mixed results. The hefeweizens came out great. Hazy IPA was just ok. Belgian IPA got infected. With the new Brewpub, will do 10-20min boils. Did a stout and it seems fine. The test will be with my "house" beers. OT, this recipe works great as a no-boil. Have you tried no boils?

Cheers. This is what I was referring too. Didnt see the follow up. I meant the hard lemonade no boil results. Sounds like it went well. Yeah I have done a couple no boils, last year wanted pumpkin beer so bad for Turkey day, did one. I short boil but chill haze is real I think. I liked the follow up about beers none the less as well. But yeah curious about this as a complete no boil.
Moreover, just tried a no heat up version. In a rush...we'll see!

Cheers. This is what I was referring too. Didnt see the follow up. I meant the hard lemonade no boil results. Sounds like it went well. Yeah I have done a couple no boils, last year wanted pumpkin beer so bad for Turkey day, did one. I short boil but chill haze is real I think. I liked the follow up about beers none the less as well. But yeah curious about this as a complete no boil.
Ah, I've never boiled the hard lemonades. I just heat up the water to around 170-180f, add DME and corn sugar. If the water is not warm enough, the frozen concentrate will not melt.

I'm loosing it. Have zero recall on a no heat version of a hard lemonade. With that said, all have been drank on the last 4 month....so they must have been just fine!

Recipe looks great. I'm thinking maybe racking to secondary after two weeks and adding a couple rosemary sprigs for the last week.

Gonna give this recipe a shot but thinking about 2 changes.

1. Add a couple rosemary sprigs to secondary.

2. Back sweeten with monkfruit artificial sweetener, add priming yeast and honey to bottle condition (that's what I do with my ciders).

Thoughts......

This is a really easy and good recipe for hard lemonade. It is a lot stronger than Mike's.

Ingredients (makes 6-7 gallons):

- 12 cans preservative-free Lemonade concentrate (I use Nature's best
brand from Aldi's cause it is cheap, Minute Maid is another option)
- 1 lb Extra light or Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 2.5 lbs corn sugar
- Yeast nutrient
- Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast (THIS YEAST IS VERY IMPORTANT, OTHER CHAMPAGNE YEASTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMONADE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE YEAST PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Appx 8 cups regular cane sugar

Rehydrate yeast:

Rehydrate yeast by combining 1 cup warm water with 1 tbsp of lemonade concentrate and just a couple yeast nutrient pellets with Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, Allow to sit for at least a half hour. You should see vigorous action in the yeast when ready.

Brewing the wort:

In a 2.5+ gal brew pot, combine 1 lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract (DME) with 3 lbs corn sugar to appx 2 gal boiling water. This will give you appx 9% abv when finished. To increase alcohol, increase sugar and/or DME, use less sugar to lower ABV). Stir until completely disolved Remove from heat, and 7 tsp yeast nutrient.

Combine wort in large plastic fermentor bucket with 10 cans lemonade concentrate, and enough cold water to fill bucket to bring total volume to 6 gal. Make sure temp is between 65 - 75 degrees, and take initial hydrometer reading. Pitch in your yeast starter. Put lid and airlock on fermentor and allow to ferment at room temp.

Fermentation:

You should see steady fermentation within 2 -3 days, that will last 1-2 weeks. Allow to ferment completely out before attempting to bottle.

Bottling day:

Take hydrometer reading. You should be right around .998 – 1.002 specific gravity.

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Add lemon/sugar/sorbate solution to a 7 gal bottling bucket. Rack fermented lemonade from carboy into bottling bucket with the sorbate solution, stirring thoroughly.

You can bottle in beer or wine bottles, or you can keg. Even with the sorbate, you will probably get a little bit of carbonation as it sits, but it is usually not enough to pop a cork. I usually keg, and force carbonate.

It is ready to drink on bottling day.
If kegging do I add the extra bottling day ingredients??
Shipper

If kegging do I add the extra bottling day ingredients??
Shipper
definitely should - the point is to backsweeten. super glad you bumped this thread, I had marked it watched a long time ago and completely forgotten about it. I have never tried this recipe and I am going to get it going this weekend!!

Actually got mine started this weekend - to the original recipe. Posting so that I can remember when I pitched. Hope to keg on 4/30

edit - 13 hours after pitch, I have airlock activity @ ~ one bubble every 23 seconds. the recipe was 6 gallons and my speidel has 7.9 gallons capacity. (I do realize airlock activity is not a precise scientific measure)
@ 20 hrs post pitch bubble rate @ 1 bubble every 11 seconds
@ 36 hrs post pitch bubble rate @ 1 bubble every 2 seconds
@ 46 hrs post pitch bubble rate @ 1 bubble every 1.5 seconds (I was a bit worried it would not be a vigorous ferment but I am not worried anymore)
@ 1 week post pitch and @ 1 bubble every 23 seconds

2nd edit - my wife read the label on the lemonade concentrate and declared she would never try it - due to the sugar content. I did not argue with her. adding this for record - in case it tastes good and she allocates it.

Last edited:
Note: I haven't read all the comments (or even MOST of them) so this may have been asked and answered before; has anyone tried adding a little baking soda or something to make it a LITTLE less acid for the yeast? Thinking maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup

Note: I haven't read all the comments (or even MOST of them) so this may have been asked and answered before; has anyone tried adding a little baking soda or something to make it a LITTLE less acid for the yeast? Thinking maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup
Have you had trouble with attenuation?

I also have several packages of fresh raspberries I stuck in my freezer. May use raspberry lemonade concentrate instead and add raspberries In a bag afterward
Let me know how it turns out please. I made my first batch according to the recipe on page one. I have high hopes. I hope to do more batches and experiment a bit.

Back