Fruity West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
I’m at a loss because I don’t know how to phrase the question to the search engine to figure this out.

I wanna make an IPL with fruity hops (Galaxy and Motueka). I will do a small bitter charge up front and I will hop burst/ dry hop. I don’t intend to make it hazy with adjuncts. In fact, I plan to use Pilsner malt and Vienna malts. I also plan to use a standard IPA water profile.

What style is this and how would it taste? I sometimes see beers that use fruity hops and they are not listed as NEIPAs. Basically I want it to taste really fruity with a nice bitterness to balance it.

I also was wondering why so many beers that use fruity hops are imperials? Is it because these beers need more malt?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wanna make an IPL with fruity hops (Galaxy and Motueka). I will do a small bitter charge up front and I will hop burst/ dry hop. I don’t intend to make it hazy with adjuncts. I’m fact, I plan to use Pilsner malt and Vienna malts. I also plan to use a standard IPA water profile.

What style is this and how would it taste?

I would call it a hoppy lager. Or, if entering in a competition, I'd call it it an India Pale Lager within Specialty IPA.

I sometimes see beers that use fruity hops and they are not listed as NEIPAs.

Its okay to use fruity hops in an IPA (or IPL) that's not a NEIPA.

I also was wondering why so many beers that use fruity hops are imperials? Is it because these beers need more malt?

I don't think it has much/anything to do with fruity hops in particular. IPAs in general have been creeping bigger (gravity/ABV) for a long time now. Bigger beers are often (usually, I'd argue) perceived as better and thus they sell better. I once gathered data on beer ratings and found a clear bias by ABV in the ratings. This was true overall and also within IPAs in particular.

Last edited:
I would call a hoppy lager. Or, if entering in a competion, I'd call it it an India Pale Lager within Specialty IPA.

Its okay to use fruity hops in an IPA (or IPL) that's not a NEIPA.

I don't think it has much/anything to do with fruity hops in particular. IPAs in general have been creeping bigger (gravity/ABV) for a long time now. Bigger beers are often (usually, I'd argue) perceived as better and thus they sell better. I once gathered data on beer ratings and found a clear bias by ABV in the ratings. This was true overall and also within IPAs in particular.
Thanks for your answer! How is the bitterness perceived in an IPL with a standard IPA water profile with no haze vs a hazy IPA with a thick mouthfeel? Will the fruit flavor come through for me? Have you notice a particular ABV to aim for? Is there an ABV level that is too much such as 8% or higher if you don’t mind me asking?

All good questions but the answers are found only in subjective preference.

I like using lager yeast to make hoppy beers (IPL’s if pressed to categorize). Typically I go 4.5-5.5 ABV, 40ish IBUS, and mash lower to get a drier beer. I think this works for all sorts of hops. Fruity hops, C hops, you name it.

You might just need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

All good questions but the answers are found only in subjective preference.

I like using lager yeast to make hoppy beers (IPL’s if pressed to categorize). Typically I go 4.5-5.5 ABV, 40ish IBUS, and mash lower to get a drier beer. I think this works for all sorts of hops. Fruity hops, C hops, you name it.

You might just need to experiment to find your sweet spot.
That’s actually almost exactly where my recipe is now. I figured that I should should go for the lower range of IBUs since lagers are more clean and expressive for the hops (I would think)

I wanna make an IPL with fruity hops (Galaxy and Motueka). I will do a small bitter charge up front and I will hop burst/ dry hop. I don’t intend to make it hazy with adjuncts. In fact, I plan to use Pilsner malt and Vienna malts. I also plan to use a standard IPA water profile.

If you want to track down recipes for inspiration, you might also search for "Cold IPA" or "West Coast Pilsner". Both are hoppy beers with more of a Pilsner-ish grain bill and fermented with a lager yeast. Hops used can range from classic American hops to more noble hops to newer "fruity hops" from America, New Zealand, Australia, etc.

This thread also has some discussion on more modern west coast IPAs: American IPA - The New West Coast IPA

This thread also touches on clear IPAs that use more modern hops: Making clear IPA again

Personally, I find that even the "Classic American Hops" that one might associate with bitter, pine, dank and citrus, can take on a different character when used in a recipe with heavy whirlpool and dry hop additions, vs old-school boil additions. This is especially true with the "newer classic" American hops like Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo, but I have had some fairly "modern" tasting IPAs that used hops like Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and Columbus.

Back