Fruit your mash????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehighsuds

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some input has anyone every tried to add fruit into the mash much the same way you would mash hop? Im not sure what if anything this would add to the taste but wanted to see if anyone had tried it. I have made several beers with fruit additions either late in the boil or post-fermentation but just got thinking the other night as im considering a spiced cranberry porter for the holidays

I haven't tried the method myself, but I can think of several things that it would do:
1) As you say, I don't know that you'd get much flavor out of it. Fruit flavor components tend to be pretty volatile, so they'd (probably) get boiled off after the mash.
2) If you use the same amount of fruit you would have in the secondary (generally around .5-1lb per gallon), it could have a significant impact on your mash pH, which could alter your efficiency.

Not saying it would be a nonviable method, of course; I think it'd just depend on what you hope to get out of your fruit. I don't think that it would ever be as effective as fruiting in the secondary, though.

Same thoughts I was having. May give it a go someday not sure I want to waste a brew day on something that might taste like @$$.

Cheers

Back