fruit press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngottshall

Reaction score
Craigslist finally got a good deal. Got this press today for 30.00 lives good

ForumRunner_20130815_201546.jpg

ForumRunner_20130815_201532.jpg

ForumRunner_20130815_201520.jpg

Thanks the Lady that sold it to me gave me a great deal. I have been looking for some time so I'm happy

I've been thinking about getting one also, my only question is, how do you keep that thing clean and sanitized enough to make wine. And these are really only used for grapes right?

I've been thinking about getting one also, my only question is, how do you keep that thing clean and sanitized enough to make wine. And these are really only used for grapes right?

These presses are used for all sorts of fruit .not just grapes. Clean just like anything and sanitize with spray bottle making sure to get all cracks and crevices

I think as long as you sprayed if off right after using it and sanitized you would be fine. If you left it for awhile with juice on it I could see it being a pain too clean.

I've never made wine from real fruit. Do you just press the grapes and then ferment the juice?
I think I read on jack kellers web site that he first crushed the grapes, ferments them, then puts everything thought the press. I guess because he wants the skins to be involved in the fermentation process?

If it were me id probably just press the grapes then take the skins from out of the press and add them to my primary fermentation vessel along with a cultured yeast packet. Jack has way more experience then me so Id do whatever he does. The skins add color and tannin to the wine. If you didn't ferment on them for a while the wine would turn out with very little character.

I've never made wine from real fruit. Do you just press the grapes and then ferment the juice?
I think I read on jack kellers web site that he first crushed the grapes, ferments them, then puts everything thought the press. I guess because he wants the skins to be involved in the fermentation process?

For grapes you crush, ferment, then press. Skins are used in red wines and some roses if I'm not mistaken.

Ok, yeah that makes a little more sense now. I want to make a fresh fruit wine soon.

Back