Berry Wine - What to do with pressed (leftover) pomace/skins after juice is pressed out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch Douthit

Reaction score
I have probably 20-30 pounds of leftover (cakes of) Haskap berry skins after pressing for wine juice. It seems like there should be some good use for the leftover pomace? I'd be very interested in hearing what others have done with their "pressed" pomace.

you could use them for compost, animal feed and other farm/garden uses
furthermore, you could blend them and use them as an ingredient in foods,
for example, a sweet condiment

I compost them, but I have heard of people saving and freezing the skins from multiple batches and then combining and making a 'second wine' from them. From what I have read the flavor is significantly milder(which makes sense).

Compost is probably the best idea.

I have tried rinsing and re-pressing fruit remnants to extract a little more juice, but it's not worth the effort.

Grappa is a liquor, so check your distillation laws. Here in Oklahoma I would have to have a $3000 distiller's license. That's a big nope. Grappa is basically just leaving the skins and fruit remnants to ferment, and then pressing them again after fermentation, then distilling the results. If you're not familiar with it, Grappa is fairly bitter.

Back