Weissbier Fruit Loops Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3638)
Yeast Starter
~1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
7.4SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~2wks: pitch @64 > keep there for more clove, raise closer to 70 for banana
Tasting Notes
very fruity nose, more fruits than just bananas, like strawberry jam on toast
If you're looking for a brew to please some ladies, this is easily the most popular one I've been able to make. It was kind of a mistake the first time I made it, I was shooting for something close to a traditional dunkelweizen but forgot some of the darker malt and decided to use a AU-grown Hallertau descendant to shake things up. Little did I know that just 2oz of Helga hops would completely change the direction of the beer. I later adjusted the recipe to give more toasty flavors to accompany the unique fruit jelly like flavors that popped up from the yeast and hops. I definitely get strawberry and maybe some peach and a hint of lime, and then banana of course.

===============================================
6.0lb / 59% Wheat
1.5lb / 15% Vienna
1.5lb / 15% Munich
0.5lb / 5% Oven Toasted Wheat (or any other base malt)
0.375lb / 3% Honey Malt
0.375lb / 3% Golden Naked Oats

@60min: 1 oz Helga
@20min: 1 oz Helga

Mash at 112 for 15min
Mash at 150 for 45 min
Optional: 10min mashout at 168F
===============================================

The first mash rest isn't totally necessary, you could just do a single step at 150. But the Ferulic Acid rest will bring up more typical banana and clove flavors typically found in Hefeweizens.

After looking at more Hefeweizen recipes, I found most only have one hop addition for bittering. I guess even a small flavor addition with a fruity hop can really have an influence on the beer.

So, you're getting 30-40 IBU's on this? Just curious, because it seemed really high for the style, but if that's giving you more fruity flavors than actual bitterness?

I'm not sure what the IBUs are. I don;t really pay attention to IBUs. I think there are too many other factors that affect the actual perceived bitterness like cohumulone and the grain bill. I've made IPAs that should be over 100 IBU that arent any more bitter than a pale ale. And I've made hopbursted IPAs that calculators said would be less than 20IBU and they were vibrantly hoppy and bitter.

I can;t really get any noticeable bitterness from the two additions. Maybe I got degraded hops or something though. I definitely get tons of fruit from the yeast and hops though

Back