Fruit Flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossBones

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a Magic Hat #9 clone, and the recipe I have says to add 3 oz of Apricot flavoring to the secondary. Since I don't use a secondary, what's the best way to add the flavoring - just toss it in the primary before fermentation, or add it after two weeks or so? I don't really want to break the seal and lose the CO2 in the primary...

Thoughts?

add it to the primary before bottling. Co2 is heavier than air so it tends to stay put if its not under pressure or you purposely blowing air in their. If your worried about loosing it, it should be fine to gently lift the lid and drop in the flavor. I lift the lid all the way off all the time to dry hop because I don't use a secondary. I never have a problem. Iv'e added hazelnut flavoring just before bottling in my primary with no noticeable bad results. You should be ok. Of course this is just my experience and Im sure there are others who would prefer you to secondary or something else :) just my .2 cents. Peace!

I have only added fruit like orange and lemon peel in the last 15 min of brew, but I have only added hops to the primary 3 days into fermentation

If it is one of those flavorings you get from the HBs, it is non-fermentable. The best time to add it to prevent loss of aromatics is to add it to the bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back