Frugal Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope I Gordon's called me back and said they could not find anything like malted barley. I may go up there and see if he will let me help him search...

going all grain will save. as for equipment, go to a used restaurant equipment warehouse and look around for stainless pots and old kegs. be creative, you may find something awsome! check craigslist every day for good deals. "when everyone is greedy, be fearful. when everyone is fearful, be greedy."

All grain brewing is more $$ for the equipment... we love our equipment. BUT, I will admit that I am a real mizer when it comes to buying ingredients and getting deals.

All grain brewing is more $$ for the equipment... we love our equipment. BUT, I will admit that I am a real mizer when it comes to buying ingredients and getting deals.

I feel exactly the same way. No issue dropping money on equipment, but if I buy a $120 grain mill and save $2.00 on a batch due to better efficiency, I'm all for it. :confused:

I keep meaning to wash my yeast, but have just been using Nottingham instead at $1.10 a pack.

But there's a real difference between a gravity-fed system and your eHERMS systems in terms of cost. Just sayin' :D

Like someone else said, make Apfelwein. The last batch I made cost me $0.34 per bottle. That's about as cheap as it gets.

I brew all grain. Let's say a batch takes me 8 hours (brewing, kegging, cleaning etc).

I could take a part time job at Burger King and make $80 to $100 in 8 hours. I can buy a sixth barrel of essentially any commercial beer for less than that.

Brewing is a hobby. Like all hobbies, I do it to spend money, not to save money.

I brew all grain. Let's say a batch takes me 8 hours (brewing, kegging, cleaning etc).

I could take a part time job at Burger King and make $80 to $100 in 8 hours. I can buy a sixth barrel of essentially any commercial beer for less than that.

Brewing is a hobby. Like all hobbies, I do it to spend money, not to save money.

Yeah, but why spend more than you have to? Times are tough for a lot of people right now. If you can wind up with the same beer for $100 or $30 why wouldn't you go the cheaper route? Seems like pretty simple logic to me.

Also, reusing hops is an interesting idea. I generally use hop pellets and have not yet dry-hopped, but it's coming up and I might see about doing this. I can dry-hop and then when I bottle/keg that beer, brew another batch and use those hops for bittering! Great idea!

I'v never done it using pellets, so i don't know how well they will stay together. I have done it with leaf hops that i'v dry hopped in a muslin bag so they were easily removed and just put directly into the boil kettle.

Here are my thoughts:

-Bulk buy your grains. There are no brewers around you? Start looking. You'd be surprised. Don't be shy.
-Be patient when looking for new equiptment. I picked up 2 cornies last week for free. I waited six months for a deal.
-Try using FRESH liquid malt extract. I've been buying it from Austin and Morebeer and it works great. I'm not wanting to debate the "twang". I'm just suggesting you try it.
-Late extract addition. If you are doing extract or PM brewing it is just as easy to add most of the fermentables later. It saves on hops. Hops are pricey right now.
-Buy on the internet and out of state. I get free or really low shipping, great prices, and no sales tax. 7% sales tax adds up.
-Embrace building your own stuff. There are tons of great posts on here with parts lists to build almost everything you need or want for cheap. I built a grain mill out of a pasta roller that we've never used in 13 yrs. I have $0 in it and about 1 hour of my time.

500 gram (1.1lb) brick of saf 33 = $33 Can

Thats almost 50 sachettes worth of yeast. (you do the math)

I just use a vacum sealer to reseal the bag.

I have safale s-04 and mauribrew, with safbrew 33 on order.

No one answered this question yet. Where are you purchasing bulk yeast at this price?????

No one answered this question yet. Where are you purchasing bulk yeast at this price?????

I get it from http://beerandwinefilter.com. In Canada. Not sure where in the US.

Novafire, give bries a call and find out. I buy from Gambrinus which is about 1.25 hrs from my house.

[edit] keep in mind those are 25kg (50lb) sacks. gambrinus has no min order.

Yeah, but why spend more than you have to? Times are tough for a lot of people right now. If you can wind up with the same beer for $100 or $30 why wouldn't you go the cheaper route? Seems like pretty simple logic to me.

As you say, times are tough, so you're going to deny your LHBS that extra $70? You're heartless. :p

I get it from Beer and Wine Filter. In Canada. Not sure where in the US.

Novafire, give bries a call and find out. I buy from Gambrinus which is about 1.25 hrs from my house.

[edit] keep in mind those are 25kg (50lb) sacks. gambrinus has no min order.

How much are you spending on sacks of grain? The cheapest I can find is $40 a sack USD.

Didn't read through all the posts, but here is my trick.

Re-use hops.

If being used for dry hopping, remove them and then use the same hops for the 60min addition in the boil of your next brew. They should keep the majority (~80-90%) of their bittering ability.

I'v done this on several occasions and it has been very successful.

Cheers!

Interesting, how do you process and store them for reuse?

I did a search in the forum.. Several threads indicate positive results.
Their procedures was to wash the hop and freeze them. Some people claim that they don't really have any AA lost by doing this. I think FWH is a good idea with this hop. It probably would produce a smoother bitterness. I have one of my brew with FWH. I haven't bottle it yet...

Interesting, how do you process and store them for reuse?

Every time i have done it, I have removed them from dry hop the same day as i am brewing my new batch.

I'd imagine that if you were to remove them from dryhop and then just freeze them they should keep, but i have never done that.

I pasteurize my fruit/sugar wine in Ragu-type spaghetti sauce jars.

The wine is made from 3 gallons of apple juice, 2.5 gallons of distilled water from jugs, and 1/2 gallon of simple syrup containing 4 pounds of sugar.

It ferments out tasting like a white table wine from the grocery store.

Pasteurization means there is no need to sanitize prior to bottling.

So far I have used the same collection of jars twice and they re-seal each time.

6 gallons of wine fits into an even 30 sauce jars.

It is tasty, convenient and cheap. 6 gallons costs around $12 in materials. That is around 40 cents per quart jar.

Latest posts

Back