frozen concentrate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller4528

Reaction score
i used two of the grape frozen concentrate (red) and the wine came out so bitter it was beyond saving im not sure as to what happened, but i was wondering can you use the grape concentrate as a "base" say for a gallon use one or two of the white grape con. and then peaches finely cut up to make a peach wine? becuase when i made my black raspberry which was strong and needed sweetened i used 3lb of black berries and then water with all the fixin' instead of the water would i have been able to give it a smoother taste if i used even just one grape con.?

I routinely use Welches red or white Niagra for body in fruit wines. It's cheaper than raisins and does the job. You can use other brands, just make sure they have no preservatives other than ascorbate. Avoid benzoate and especially sorbate like the plague. I have never experienced the bitterness you describe.

Peaches are best to use when they are really soft, and you can de-stone them and squeeze then into the primary with just your hands. I use 1 can of niagra and at least 3lbs of peaches per gallon. For my taste, that gets the body just about right.

Hope it helps.

If you can find it then get the Welche's white grape peach. 4 cans in a gallon makes an OG of 1.080 and makes a very nice peach wine. Stabilize and bring gravity back up to 1.01 for a very peachy flavor but I like it dry. My recipe usually looks like:

1 gallon

4 cans concentrate
1tbs black tea (loose leaf dumped in primary)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to one gallon
Yeast (lalvin 71b-1112)

If you can find it then get the Welche's white grape peach. 4 cans in a gallon makes an OG of 1.080 and makes a very nice peach wine. Stabilize and bring gravity back up to 1.01 for a very peachy flavor but I like it dry. My recipe usually looks like:

1 gallon

4 cans concentrate
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to one gallon
Yeast (lalvin 71b-1112)

Yes, that sounds good! The concentrate is hard to find. You can use the juice itself instead. It is also available in the Walmart great value brand. I use it when topping the secondary, and to taste at bottling. Great peachy flavor.

1 gallon

4 cans concentrate
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to one gallon
Yeast (lalvin 71b-1112)

How long until it's ready to drink? Sounds really tasty! Just getting into beer/cider/wine, and want to try making gallons :)

It takes 2-4 weeks in total. I always make this recipe in gallon carboys and fermentation is always complete anywhere between 5-8 days and then the jar is thrown in the fridge. The tea seems to help the yeast flocculate and it makes a very hard pack of lees. So once it looks crystal clear I carefully remove it from the fridge, place it on a high counter and siphon 4 750ml wine bottles off it. The rest is always mixed back up with the settled yeast and used to start another brew like skeeter pee or another wine.

We just picked up last night a 2quart of white grape juice 100% natural beucase at gaint they only carried the consentrated gaint brand which all had high fructose corn syrup and i thought somewhere i read to not use anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. so we got a half gallon of juice instead and a lb of mangos and lb of peaches frozen, to try and make a peach mango wine with white grape juice as the base. i also made up some sheets to record my recipes.

Back