From "You made that...?" to "You MADE that?!"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I've brewed for a few years now. I've stuck entirely with AG BIAB in both my apartment and townhouse. I've never had more sophisticated gear than a swamp cooler and a keg. With 75+ brews under my belt, I gotta say---the beer kinda sucked. My friends enjoyed it. I even enjoyed some brews (Equinox SMaSH, anyone?). But really, honestly, it just sorta sucked.

I tried everything. I switched malts a million times, hops twice as many times, and yeast the same. I brewed different styles, I brewed big, I brewed small. It all came out...eh. Aggresively eh.

Fast forward to my new 3gal setup (kettle, still biab, a conical fermenter with spigot, and a 2.5gal keg). I decided to start over from the absolute basics. A SMaSH. I needed to learn about ingredients (or so I thought). What I truly learned was about process and chemistry. While I'm more familiar with a few ingredients now, my beer has gone from 0-60 in five batches because of the use of chemistry and consitent process. My key takeaways would be:

1) Chemistry. Chemistry. Chemistry. It matters. It's daunting and ugly, but boy does it matter. I've been working with very high alkalinity, low salt water (see: <8ppm chloride and sulfate). After a significant amount of research, I wound up brewing with nearly 250ppm Sulfate and 130ish Chloride. That beer is an absolute winner. The Mosaic Promise Clone I'm referring to is by far the best beer I've ever made. The hops cry from the glass in an array of mandarin orange, mango, and peach. The malt is medium bodied and full flavored, not too sweet for the low perceived IBU (late-additions only). It's a real winner, and one I would happily put up against a lot of professional breweries in my area.

2) Consistency is everything. Take emaculate notes and learn your system to the fullest extent possible. Make sure you can hit the same mash temp EVERY. TIME. Exact same hop schedule (including whirlpool temp and length). Exact same fermentation temps. Variances will occur, but keep as close to the same as you can.

3) Go back to the basics. Not for every brew, but just once in a while, for yourself, go back to the basics. Make a SMaSH. Make a super basic blonde or pale. Don't be afraid to dig back into simplicity to really perfect the brewing process itself. I've found that recipes thar were once "eh" have come out fantastic with the right brewing process and chemical additions.

And FWIW, I've been discussing the "You MADE that?!" moment with SWMBO for a while. It finally happened. I let my friend try that Mosaic Promise, and he immediately, wide-eyed like a kid on Christmas, turned to me and exclaimed, "You MADE that?!?!?!" SWMBO was standing there and heard the whole thing. Needless to say, I was also giddy like a kid on Christmas.

Awesome! I haven't dived in to water chemistry yet but this is increasing the mounting evidence to do so. I've been quite happy with most of my batches but maybe they could be even better.
I also do most 3 gallon biab batches. Can I ask what conical are you using? I'm still in buckets but looking to step up soon.

That's awesome! I struggle with consistency because I like to change things too much...even when a beer was stellar, I just can't help myself to tweak some little thing to try and bring it up just another degree...I should probably leave well enough alone, but when I get the reaction you describe, it is certainly validating! For me, I think water chemistry and kegging were what got me to a great brewing place. I already had ferm. control, but i think between the oxydation from all the transferring, added to the bottle conditioning, when bottling..it was bringing my beers down. After I got a relative grip on water condition and started kegging, my beers really took shape.

Awesome! I haven't dived in to water chemistry yet but this is increasing the mounting evidence to do so. I've been quite happy with most of my batches but maybe they could be even better.
I also do most 3 gallon biab batches. Can I ask what conical are you using? I'm still in buckets but looking to step up soon.
I'm currently using a Brew Demon 3gal amber conical, but it's a little frustrating to clean and can't handle acid based sanitizers so I've been stuck using OneStep (I don't care for iodophor). I'm looking at getting a couple of 3gal white bucket-ish fermenters from MoreBeer and using all three in rotation/for bulk aging/split batches.

Congrats! There’s nothing like hitting one out of the park! I agree that understanding and implementing a good water profile is one of the key improvements that will take your HB to the next level.

That's awesome! I struggle with consistency because I like to change things too much...even when a beer was stellar, I just can't help myself to tweak some little thing to try and bring it up just another degree...I should probably leave well enough alone, but when I get the reaction you describe, it is certainly validating! For me, I think water chemistry and kegging were what got me to a great brewing place. I already had ferm. control, but i think between the oxydation from all the transferring, added to the bottle conditioning, when bottling..it was bringing my beers down. After I got a relative grip on water condition and started kegging, my beers really took shape.
+1,000 on the bottling process destroying perfectly good beer, especially when you're stuck using typical cheap homebrew gear. My keg made a world of difference, and water chemistry finished it off. Finally I don't have anything I would refer to as "homebrew taste."

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I kinda got lucky because I read a boatload before I even brewed my first beer. I read Palmer's book twice and Papazian's twice. I posted here asking the difference between "good" beer and "Wow!" beer and got some great advice.

My first batch was AG. I came up with my own recipe based on "best of breed" for the style...incorporating things that reading lead me to believe were important. I started with RO water and built my own water profile. I managed the pH. I did a starter and controlled fermentation temperature with temps measured in the wort. I kegged it and worked hard on preventing oxidation. I took meticulous notes throughout the process.

I brewed an excellent beer from batch one and haven't had a bad one yet. My hardcore beer buddies who travel on beer-cations and go to festivals all over the country are always trying to get my beer. They offered to pitch in $30K to get a brewery going. It's insane, but fun.

It's amazing what you can do with a cooler, a bag, a kettle and a turkey fryer!

It wasn't until I started kegging that my beer started tasting as good or better than beer made at craft breweries.

Luckily water adjustments are pretty straight forward in Oregon - just need to add a little gypsum and calcium chloride to get good results on most beers.

The first time I made a beer using a keg my neighbor couldn't believe how good it was. He was my brew assistant for that batch too which made it even more fun since he helped make it.

Kegging really does make a big difference. For one thing, you're removing the chance that your priming sugar doesn't mix right causing either undercarbed or overcarbed gushers; loose caps, not quite clean bottles, ad infinitum. You have better control of the carbonation itself, which can affect the beer's flavor too. And, you can taste your beer throughout the whole process without wasting as much. And you get fresher beer. I think i only had three bottled batches out of over 15 that i was comfortable to share with others. Since kegging it's been a lot more.

Kegging really does make a big difference. For one thing, you're removing the chance that your priming sugar doesn't mix right causing either undercarbed or overcarbed gushers; loose caps, not quite clean bottles, ad infinitum. You have better control of the carbonation itself, which can affect the beer's flavor too. And, you can taste your beer throughout the whole process without wasting as much. And you get fresher beer. I think i only had three bottled batches out of over 15 that i was willing to share with others. Since kegging it's been a lot more.
I'm still very new in my kegging adventures, only 2 batches in but I'm finding the opposite. I partial keg and bottle the rest. My bottles taste significantly better. In one case in a pumpkin spice beer all the spice flavors and aromas were gone in the kegged version, but very present in the bottles. My most recent batch is actually a cider but it has a subtle metallic off flavor that is not present at all in my bottles. I'm fully aware this is probably just me and something I need to work out in my system but it's definitely frustrating when I was expecting the beer to be better not worse out of the keg.

I didn't have perfection the first few times I kegged either. It does take some practice. For your pumpkin ale, bottling was probably your best bet anyway for a few reasons, mainly that the style does better with aging in a sealed environment so the spices meld better. The one spiced beer I kegged was "dry spiced" in the keg and it turned out pretty good.

For your cider, it may be that it's just too young. I'd give it a week or two and give it another taste.

One of the drawbacks to kegging is us homebrewers rushing the process in hopes of having drinkable beverage faster than the bottlers. Guilty!! Many times!!

My full volume biab pale beers weren’t great when I switched from 3 vessel, after some reading and acid malt additions the beers got better, congrats [emoji482]

My full volume biab pale beers weren’t great when I switched from 3 vessel, after some reading and acid malt additions the beers got better, congrats [emoji482]

I only switched to full-volume about 2-3 batches ago. Started making all of my salt additions based on that. The beer has been significantly better for it.

I use soft water and make adjustments using the Bru'nWater spreadsheet and get help along from my newly acquired pH meter.

I must say, the last 5 batches, were very nice. One of those, an ESB at 5.2%, 31 IBUs and SRM 11.7 was so very smooth and good, already at 14 days in the bottle.

I only switched to full-volume about 2-3 batches ago. Started making all of my salt additions based on that. The beer has been significantly better for it.

I can appreciate the approach that a lot of brewers on here take, using brunwater, ph meters, and careful salt additions

I take a KiSS approach, I used an aquarium test kit for gh and kh along with kaisers online calc, a little chloride for malty beers or a little gypsum for my hoppier beers, I keep my acid malt addition about 1oz per gallon of finished beer for 95-100% pale malt beers, or about 1/2oz per gallon for beer with some crystal or small amounts of roasted malts

By no means is this the best method, but for me when friends or most bmc drinkers go for seconds I know I brewed a balanced beer

Latest posts

Back