From Scratch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieT

Reaction score
Ok Guys..

I am thinking at this point that there is enough variability in my water supply to warrant building my own water profile from scratch each brew..

So I come to the experts... Is RO/DI water a sufficiently pure water to utilize as a base for building water or is Distilled required?

I have a great RO/DI unit that I can re-task (actually put into service) for this purpose if RO/DI water is acceptable..

Will the RO/DI process remove Chlorine / Chloramine?

Will the RO/DI process remove Sodium? (Interested because I would prefer to use a point of supply that come through my water softener for convenience of installation, but can get in front of the softener if required)

Thx ... JT

Reverse Osmosis water is exactly the same as Distilled. The only difference is the method in which the minerals are stripped.

I use RO water for brewing and add salts/chalk to get a profile I'm happy with for the particular style. Works great for me.

RO alone isn't 100% pure but close enough for our purposes. IIRC, some low level concentrations do make it past the membrane.
http://www.remco.com/ro_quest.htm :
Membranes are very good at rejection high molecular weight compounds and multivalent ions. Monovalent ions such as Na+ and Cl- (Sodium and Chloride) are not rejected as well and are the leakage ions.

So, it's my guess that it's better to use your hard water as the input because it can deal with Ca and Mg better than Na.

RO alone isn't 100% pure but close enough for our purposes. IIRC, some low level concentrations do make it past the membrane.

So, it's my guess that it's better to use your hard water as the input because it can deal with Ca and Mg better than Na.

Brilliant! Thx!

Back