From natural carb Keg to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matridium

Reaction score
I have all the necessary equipment to keg, and bottle and go from keg to bottle... But I have never tried to naturally carb a keg then fill the bottles with my beer gun.
Question, if I naturally carb at room temp or even hotter (like 80F) and then try to carb at that the same temp will I get lots of foam?
In the past I have forced carbed and kegged with mixed results, sometimes with foam other times with a little, but never with no foam. I have pre-chilled bottles, the whole nine yards that are suggested and still get foam. This time around I'm wondering if I do it all at room temp will there be any benefit, difference or noting new?
Any ideas?
I have no problems with using a keg to mix the corn sugar and and keep O2 at a minimum and then using the beer gun to dispense flat beer into purged bottles and carb in the bottles. I have done this in the past with great results, I'm just looking to do it all in one container, control temp, have more uniformity.

I figures as such that it has to be cold for transferring already carbonated beer it makes total sense to me. I might just do what I always do and mix in the keg and then dispense into bottles and let it naturally carb in bottles. It works well to get most of the O2 out and it also makes for easy filling on bottling day.

Idk if you already purchased your beer gun but the Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler is the best piece of equipment I’ve bought in a long time. It’s small and and so much quicker to set up, use, and clean verses a beer gun.

as stated earlier though transferring warm carbonated liquid will really be a pain and a mess.

here’s a picture of how small the unit is btw
80497634-7E68-4915-B18C-D5C9291E23AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed - counter pressure filler is the way to go with carbed beer. Chill keg to 34 degrees if you can. Hard to chill the bottles but you can soak them in cold water and Star San and hang them on a bottle tree for a few minutes prior to filling. Also I turn off the overhead fluorescent lights which could expose the beer lines to UV, and use a small LED flashlight to view bottle filling as you go along.

Back