From kettle to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smatson

Reaction score
So here is a question...

Is it an option to go straight from a boil to the fermenter? In other words...If I am using a conical fermenter, is it a possibility to finish the boil and then transfer the wort straight to the conical? This way, I wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of contamination during cooling. When the wort is cool, I could then dump the trub from the fermenter. My worry is this: If I put it straight in the conical, will it continue to "cook" the ingredients to the point of "over-cooking?" Or would it be better to cool it to a lower temperature (140?). Or should I just go with the good old wort chiller I have been using? Thanks for the help

I use a counterflow chiller (chillzilla) between the boil pot and my conical fermenter.
An immersion chiller would work too.

EDIT: I sanitize my counterflow with star san and then run a bit of boiled wort through to further sanitize the chiller.
I have never had an infection in any of my batches. I'm more fearful of contamination from the fittings inside the conical. I take great care to disassemble, clean and sanitize these items.

As far as "overcooking" at some commercial breweries, between whirlpool and transfer, the wort can stay hot for well over an hour. I suppose it would be a factor to be considered, particularly for late addition hops. IMHO it should be quickly chilled, whether in the kettle, in the transfer, or in the fermenter. I believe when I switched from an ice bath to an immersion chiller my beer improved.

When transferring hot wort you risk hot-side aeration. Also, what part of using a chiller are you deeming to be at-risk of causing infection? You won't really get a cold break (from my understanding at least) if you don't chill it.

leaving the wort hot is gonna have an effect on the late hop additions. You'd probably have to adjust some of your recipes for this. But it's similar to what many commercial brewers do in the whirlpool.

I would not worry about hot side aeration.

There is also DMS being formed until the wort is below 140F

BUT... no infection can survive when the wort is very hot. Really your only in danger of infection when the wort is cool. So I'd cool it at least to 100F or maybe 120F then transfer to the fermenter. Then cool to your desired pitching temp. Drop the trub and pitch the yeast.

Personally I just cool it in the kettle with an immersion chiller and it's very rare I have an infected batch.

Back