from casual reader to craft beer maker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzgp

Reaction score
So I have been reading these forums off and on for about a year and a half and for the past month or 2, i have pulled the trigger and started buying my equipment.

2 weeks ago i made my first batches, based off northern brewer extract kits: wee heavy scotch ale and the 90 shilling scotch ales.

My discoveries were:

a) my stove sucks and takes forever to boil 5 gallons of water ;p
b) i love the smell of cooking hops!!!
c) making beer is messy - wort becomes a nice sticky mess and now i have a rag soaking in my sanitizing bucket for quick wipedowns as i go
d) i feel like a surgeon when i make beer because i take sanitation overboard

this weekend i racked the 90 shilling scotch ale (more like 120 cause i added some more extract) to a secondary and i got to taste some and it was delicious! OG 1.092 and intermediate gravity 1.030 (maybe final, but i moved based off time and not gravities).

My wee strong scotch ale is also beefed up with an OG of 1.105 and looks good in the fermenter; will probably move to a secondary in a week or 2.

I also made a strong IPA yesterday, with an OG of 1.094 and a calculated IBU of 68. I tasted the OG sample and it blew my mind on the bitterness ;p

This post is basically a thank you to HBT and all the sound advice ive received and that as of yet, I dont even need to post "wtf is wrong with my beer" or any other negative experiences thanks to you guys!

Welcome to the obsession.

A few tips/pointers...if your stove can't boil 5 gallons you might want to look into either doing partial boils or getting a propane burner to do full boils. My stove sucks so I do partials but will be buying a propane burner this month with a 10 gallon pot.

Read up on using secondaries. It was used a lot a few years ago but now most people let the beer sit in primary for 3, 4, 5 weeks even longer for bigger beers. This helps the yeast clean up after themselves. Moving to secondary will make it harder for the remain yeast to clean up.

Latest posts

Back