Fridge to cooler room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I have a small fridge I am using for making cheese. It has an after market thermostat and it really works great. I am wondering if it would be possible to use the same parts but make a small room that this could cool. Just scrap the shell and build a little cooler closet for both the beer and cheese. Is this possible? Will the motor fry?

It can work. What is an easier approach is to make a heavily insulated box (3+ inches of ridge foam) and drill holes in the bottom of the fridge & the top of the box and just circulate air between them.

David - is that better than making a 3" foam box and just opening the door to the fridge?

You need the hot coils from the fridge to not be in the same area you want cooled. It creates heat in the coils or motor to compress the refridgerant. If you just open the door in a room, it will be heating and coolnig at the same time.

Back