Fridge or freezer for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickfish

Reaction score
Hi all. My fermentation fridge just died with a half attenuated lager in it. Not sure of there is any saving the beer. Anyway I wanted to find out what people like better an upright freezer or a fridge for fermenting? I know a fridge has better moisture control but is there any advantage to a freezer. The beers went from 48 degrees to 67 overnight. That really sucks.

I used to use a chest freezer. I loved it. Increased my batch size and now I'm using a fridge because the chest freezer isn't big enough to handle my fermenter. Not as happy because it doesn't cool fast enough. Its a crappy fridge and that might be the problem too. The freezer allows you to drop temps much faster and I think that is what makes it better.

I would only get an upright to save my back. Just wondered if you ever had ice or moisture problems with the freezer.

I would only get an upright to save my back. Just wondered if you ever had ice or moisture problems with the freezer.

I use a chest freezer, My plan is to rig up a block and tackle hoist to lift carboys and kegs in and out. It will just need to be able to swing out and over the freezer like a davit of some sort...

Brewery Project #174

I get lots of condensation now, which is creating a little rust on the inside seam, I think because the temp prob is between the gasket and the lid and a little cold air is seeping out. Once I lift the lid for a keezer that may help.

Salute!

Back